The Drop Kick

Started by Orior, April 15, 2020, 12:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball Hopper

Quote from: marty34 on April 15, 2020, 07:10:40 PM
A drop kick is a better ball to catch - better trajectory for high catching.

Correct...Kerry's Donie O'Sullivan had an excellent drop kick...often to Mick O'Connell to show quality fielding.   Not that any of you youngsters know those 2 players...

shantygael

Quote from: theticklemister on April 15, 2020, 05:39:04 PM
Quote from: shantygael on April 15, 2020, 05:15:41 PM
Did tohill not score a goal of a drop kick against down in 94 in celtic park. Not sure if it hit the cross bar  or not but it was a  screamer t,he auld memory wouldn't be great going that far back.😄

Yeah lad he burst through the middle and should have scored a goal.

Hi how did you see, there was some crowd there and yet wile small hi!
I was standing on the shoulders of giants.not so much in the  in giant territory yourself😁. Scorcher of a day,some match too and as you said ,some  crowd.
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

Gold

I scored a rake of drop kick goals, albeit at shite levels.

1 on 1 side foot drop kick into a corner is totally unsaveable....took years of shots intended to be blasted into a corner, but not going far enough from the keeper and being saved  before i caught on to it. Catch the ball on the sidefoot the millisecond it hops up off the deck, easy to control and direct

Always thought if you were chilling in the middle of the field in training and had to kick it past someone 10 yards from you as a drill youd do it 100 times and get it past him 99 on the sidefoot dropkick...whereas if you blasted it youd get 60 past him, 20 would squew away off and 20 would hit the keeper.
Easiest bit of the game for me was drop kickin 1 on 1 into the corner of the net, much more control than a normal volleyed shot out of hand....half volleys always easier. Hardest part was getting my slow self in 1 on 1 and away from some hallion😁

The front of the foot (which you are no doubt on about) drop kicked goal is a cracker. On a mizzly wet day the ball travels 100 mph and is nearly unsaveable....more room for error on that one but if can catch clean and low into a corner its goaltime. Used it more sparingly as can squew off but effective if in a crowd, unblockable if catch it right

The trajectory of a drop kicked ball into the forward line was as perfect as it was rare

Boys drop kicking frees etc up the park is a rarity...people try and kick it too hard and slice it

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

theticklemister

Quote from: shantygael on April 15, 2020, 10:45:35 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on April 15, 2020, 05:39:04 PM
Quote from: shantygael on April 15, 2020, 05:15:41 PM
Did tohill not score a goal of a drop kick against down in 94 in celtic park. Not sure if it hit the cross bar  or not but it was a  screamer t,he auld memory wouldn't be great going that far back.😄

Yeah lad he burst through the middle and should have scored a goal.

Hi how did you see, there was some crowd there and yet wile small hi!
I was standing on the shoulders of giants.not so much in the  in giant territory yourself😁. Scorcher of a day,some match too and as you said ,some  crowd.

We forced the terracing opposite the Lone Moor open lol.

Some day it was.

You must have been about 45 back  then lad

marty34

Quote from: Ball Hopper on April 15, 2020, 07:32:54 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 15, 2020, 07:10:40 PM
A drop kick is a better ball to catch - better trajectory for high catching.

Correct...Kerry's Donie O'Sullivan had an excellent drop kick...often to Mick O'Connell to show quality fielding.   Not that any of you youngsters know those 2 players...

True - it'd be an ideal ball for the mark nowadays.  I'd expect this new fad of 'forwards' coaches' to be coaching this instead of the 'offensive transition' waffle these lads go on about.

You may say, sure it'll be easier for a defender too but it's a far easier ball to catch for both than a high ballooning ball in from 60 yards - harder for a forward to catch and therefore easier for a defender to break ball.

Orior

Drop kicks would be harder to block.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

David McKeown

I assume you can foot block a drop kick under the rules without penalty. That would discourage me from trying it for shooting
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Gabriel_Hurl

Derek Duggan scored a lovely dropkick goal for the Rossies in the 1991 AISF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1wY1Stqows

Rossfan

The pass from Tony.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

giveballaghback

The late great Dermot Early was the best I have seen at the dropkick, used it in every match he played, was very accurate with it.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

bigarsedkeeper

From a keepers point of view the fellas that usually use it now, usually a full back who's never found himself in the situation in real life, to shoot don't get over it and usually drive it too high and either miss or make it easy to deal with, maybe 1 in 20 flies in as nice as you like.
When I started with the senior squad around 96 or so there was a few older fellas who started in the 80s that used it well. One fella would of spread passes with it, sort of like Shorty would have, but one guy who would have played corner forward would use it to shoot for goal and by god could he hit them. If you got it hurt and most of the time you didn't have a hope.

mrdeeds

Cian Mackey scored one v Armagh in Championship. 1 minute 30 into this clip.

https://youtu.be/qbspYYI-pO8

Tatler Jack

I remember a  great  drop kick pass from Jimmy Burke in to Seán Lowry who scored a cracking goal. Think it was 1985 Connacht Final. Maybe some of the Mayo lads can fish it out.