Started by Milltown Row2, June 10, 2020, 10:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 11, 2020, 07:20:33 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 11, 2020, 06:26:13 PM
Quote from: whitey on June 11, 2020, 04:42:54 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 11, 2020, 04:31:30 PM
Quote from: whitey on June 11, 2020, 04:27:38 PM
I propose banning the works of George Bernard Shaw  given his support for Stalin (who murdered tens of millions of people)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2017/09/11/opinion/why-george-bernard-shaw-had-a-crush-on-stalin.amp.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1433323/How-Shaw-defended-Stalins-mass-killings.html

Are the works themselves offensive?

I don't know but why would you promote and memorialize someone who supported such a vile regime

Ok, so given your slippery slope ridiculing, what do you think is an appropriate response to art, whether it is racist or bigoted in itself, or produced by a racist or bigot? Monuments to confederate general, slave-dealers, white supremacists and so on?

You seem adamant that if society moves even an inch on this that there will be no end to it.

So on the Mayo blog a few years ago, someone felt "excluded" by a Dia is Muire Linn on the crest.....should the crest be changed to reflect a new more diverse Ireland?

What about a club named after a Saint.....well if I'm a Muslim, a Hindu or an atheist.....I'm going to feel excluded too, so let's add them to the list

Che Guevara-tortured, murdered and imprisoned gay people. Let's ban the selling of tee shirts and posters bearing his image.

Town of Lucan.....re name it. Lord Lucan was a tyrant who let tens of thousands of his remnants starve

McBrides football club in Chicago....named after a Boer General (I believe).....rename it

Michael Cusack.....accused of being an anti Semite.....rename the Cusack Stand

Casement Park.....very compelling evidence that Casement was a paedophile.....rename it

Any pitch, team or competition named after an IRA/INLA member......rename them

If John Mitchell was a famous author would you be in favor of honoring and celebrating his work in the same way we do George Bernard Shaw?

Michael D Higgins-Eulogized Castro....make him recant and apologize given Castro's horrendous record on human rights

More slippery slope bullshit. Can't you answer the question?

Is there NO circumstance under which you think it is appropriate to rename a school or remove a statue or stop showing a film?

Do you REALLY think removing a statue of Robert E Lee or Nathan Bedford Forrest from a southern town is the same thing as Michael D Higgins having praised Castro for whatever reason?

Do you REALLY think a religious name on a club team is the same as honouring someone who fought for or advocated for or carried out the enslavement of people based on their race.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on June 11, 2020, 07:51:46 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 11, 2020, 03:13:32 PM
Will the pantos be done away with?

No, but from now on they'll have men pretending to be women to be more inclusive.

Women pretending to be men, I remember once there was a woman playing Robin Hood.

May McFeteridge will be out of a job
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whitey

Sure....of course there is.

If you live in a town/city/state you have right to be outraged at Confederate Flags and Statues to Confederate War generals.

It's the "connect the dots" and selective outrage that I have a problem with.

Every town, village and family in Ireland has been impacted by child sexual abuse.....but yet no one is offended about a Stadium named after a paedophile ?

You have teams/pitches/competitions named after IRA/INLA members in the 6 counties....are the same people who have their hair on fire about John Mitchell as outraged for their Protestant neighbors who may have had family members "murdered" by those being memorialized.

Who gets to decide what's acceptable and not acceptable?

ONeill

Jaws is fcuked. Didn't yer boy sing about Spanish women or something?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on June 11, 2020, 08:36:06 PM

Watched the three amigos the other day! I suppose that's offensive to cowboys
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 11, 2020, 08:18:57 PM
Sure....of course there is.

If you live in a town/city/state you have right to be outraged at Confederate Flags and Statues to Confederate War generals.

It's the "connect the dots" and selective outrage that I have a problem with.

Every town, village and family in Ireland has been impacted by child sexual abuse.....but yet no one is offended about a Stadium named after a paedophile ?

You have teams/pitches/competitions named after IRA/INLA members in the 6 counties....are the same people who have their hair on fire about John Mitchell as outraged for their Protestant neighbors who may have had family members "murdered" by those being memorialized.

Who gets to decide what's acceptable and not acceptable?

Surely much of what you term "selective outrage" is down to ignorance and education.

Most people go about their day not having a clue who the street is named after or who yer man up there on the pedestal is and what he's famous for.

Does that mean that you DON'T address the stuff you DO know about?

J70

Cuomo gave a piss-weak defense of the Columbus statue in Columbus Circle in NYC today, saying it was now more a symbol of Italian-Americans than Columbus or his actions. He then almost ran out of the press conference without allowing a follow up question! ;D

He's usually fairly thoughtful in his press conferences, but would the obvious response to his reasoning not to be to find another f**king person to represent Italian America, if that's what the issue is? Would he defend a statue of Al Capone for that reason?

nrico2006

Quote from: thewobbler on June 10, 2020, 10:44:58 AM
Things like this drive me mad.

Regardless of his extra curricular behaviour, Kevin Spacey was one of the best actors in history, but Netflix and co have tried to airbrush him from their portfolio.

All I want to do is watch KPax, and I can't. Sad face.

K-Pax - one of my all time favourite films.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BennyCake

The Dukes of Hazzard will be next.

And general_lee will probably be turfed off GAA board.

I'll probably have to get rid of my Dixie horn too now ffs.

Milltown Row2

Daisy Duke!!

I'd put up a picture but I'll get kicked off board

sid waddell

No, but from now on they'll have men pretending to be women to be more inclusive.
I presume you turned off the telly in protest any time you saw Dame Edna Everage and Lily Savage. Apres Match too.

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 11, 2020, 10:21:45 PM
Daisy Duke!!

I'd put up a picture but I'll get kicked off board
Where's the downside in that?

Orior

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 11, 2020, 08:42:27 PM
Quote from: ONeill on June 11, 2020, 08:36:06 PM

Watched the three amigos the other day! I suppose that's offensive to cowboys

One of my favourite films.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote from: sid waddell on June 11, 2020, 10:26:35 PM

I presume you turned off the telly in protest any time you saw Dame Edna Everage and Lily Savage. Apres Match too.

Of course, I didn't turn off the TV, it is funny, that is the whole point every panto has this.
I suppose sarcasm is a bit beyond you.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

sid waddell

Quote from: armaghniac on June 11, 2020, 10:45:35 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 11, 2020, 10:26:35 PM

Of course, I didn't turn off the TV, it is funny, that is the whole point every panto has this.
I suppose sarcasm is a bit beyond you.
I love sarcasm, I just prefer when it isn't dripping with transphobia.