GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

I don't get it. Why is it not safe for supporters?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 30, 2020, 03:36:30 PM
I don't get it. Why is it not safe for supporters?

In case there may be an asymptomatic supporter at a match who could pass the symptoms on to a person beside him/her who might experience bad symptoms perhaps.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Smurfy123

But surely 2M distance can apply at a club match? Beaches open but no supporters allowed at club matches. What's that all about?

seafoid

If the GAA got the championship up and running now the sports would get priceless global attention. Hurling is far more interesting than the Bundesliga.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: seafoid on May 31, 2020, 11:20:06 AM
If the GAA got the championship up and running now the sports would get priceless global attention. Hurling is far more interesting than the Bundesliga.

Maybe not so much as important for the global game, but for the domestic. I'm not saying do it this week or next, but if the GAA don't make a move soon. Other sports will, how many players will the GAA lose forever with participation already a major issue? At it's core the GAA is completely dependant on the next crop of youngsters coming year after year without fail. We might well see that collapse the longer it takes to put something out there.

sid waddell

Hurling doesn't even get attention in most of Ireland.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on May 31, 2020, 11:38:59 AM

It's  better than the bogball/basketball game that used to be football, before they changed the rules about a thousand times, still making a Horlicks of it and dominated by one team for past ten years  ;D ;D

I wonder what rules they'll bring in next
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

Think you are way overestimating the appeal of hurling outside of Ireland.

maldini

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 31, 2020, 11:31:27 AM

Maybe not so much as important for the global game, but for the domestic. I'm not saying do it this week or next, but if the GAA don't make a move soon. Other sports will, how many players will the GAA lose forever with participation already a major issue? At it's core the GAA is completely dependant on the next crop of youngsters coming year after year without fail. We might well see that collapse the longer it takes to put something out there.

What are they going to lose players to? Not as if there are other team sports going to be on anytime soon
I'd assume the likes of GAA, soccer and rugby will all resume back around the same time

sid waddell

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 31, 2020, 07:24:42 PM

It's  better than the bogball/basketball game that used to be football, before they changed the rules about a thousand times, still making a Horlicks of it and dominated by one team for past ten years  ;D ;D

The top level of Gaelic football as played now is a better spectacle than it has ever been.

I love hurling but the fact is that interest in it is very esoteric in this country, and that's the way a lot of "hurling people" (let's face it, to be accepted as a hurling person you have to be a man - the clique of hurling men, great hurling men, true hurling men etc.) like it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on May 31, 2020, 11:42:10 PM

The top level of Gaelic football as played now is a better spectacle than it has ever been.

I love hurling but the fact is that interest in it is very esoteric in this country, and that's the way a lot of "hurling people" (let's face it, to be accepted as a hurling person you have to be a man - the clique of hurling men, great hurling men, true hurling men etc.) like it.

The spectacle of Dublin embarrassing everyone lately is something to behold
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 30, 2020, 09:25:43 PM
But surely 2M distance can apply at a club match? Beaches open but no supporters allowed at club matches. What's that all about?

How long would it take to get everyone out of the grounds?
Hasta la victoria siempre

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 01, 2020, 12:09:04 AM

Luckily hurling have never had such problems.  ;)

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: maldini on May 31, 2020, 11:15:26 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 31, 2020, 11:31:27 AM

What are they going to lose players to? Not as if there are other team sports going to be on anytime soon
I'd assume the likes of GAA, soccer and rugby will all resume back around the same time

I didn't mean team sport, there'll be a loss to Crossfit, Weightlifting, Running etc which will all be capable of restarting soon, if not already underway....individual sports. I have seen over the past few weeks especially a lot more fellas posting on various platforms about their gripes with the GAA. If it comes to pass, who knows. But the GAA is in hiding at the minute, when their members really do need them most.

sid waddell

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 01, 2020, 09:21:04 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 01, 2020, 12:09:04 AM

Luckily hurling have never had such problems.  ;)
There was nothing like watching Kilkenny inflict a 38 point defeat on Wexford or Offaly in the Leinster championship.