Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 28, 2020, 04:10:43 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 28, 2020, 11:30:33 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 27, 2020, 10:48:46 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 27, 2020, 08:10:28 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 27, 2020, 08:07:43 PM
Do you know what the new normal will be like? Try it first to see.

And another one who is promoting the "new normal " . How about fook the new normal .

Theres lots of the normal that we shouldn't ever be returning too. The last few months was a real eyeopener to the rat race the so called normal was.

GAA also need to look at what was considered as normal, Did we really need amateur teams doing over the top training whereby some teams are fitter and more conditioned than some professional sports teams across the water?

Is this not a myth?

Didn't Aaron Kernan look way out of place on the fitness levels with the Sunderland youth team that time?

I think it's the sort of back slapping the GAA likes to give itself about it's amateur status.

Association football requires far higher levels of fitness than a GAA player, you'll always have players in association football than can survive to a degree on their ability and brain because it's a cerebral game but the ones whose game is based on their engine would absolutely destroy the top GAA player in fitness terms.
Highly unlikely would all players across the water destroy the likes of Brian Fenton,Ciarán Kilkenny, Jack McCaffrey for fitness

Are you referring to something about 5 or 6 years ago with Kernan in his 30s and retired from inter County? If so He had this to say about his experience.

There is little difference between Sunderland and Armagh's physical preparations and is convinced GAA players' fitness levels are up there with the professional sportsmen.

Comparing the two, he said of soccer: "It's tougher in that they are picking from the whole world now – it's obviously a bigger pool. But is it tougher to get yourself in top condition to perform as an inter-county footballer? It is. Because that's their job and everything is laid on for them, whereas we can get to the same fitness level, same endurance level and all that without the same time to put in

Fitness and conditioning levels has ramped up again since Aaron left the county scene. We hear it often about the serious commitment required to be a county player nowadays especially for lads working full time and traveling long distances to training. It all results in some lads with years left deciding to retire early others opting out and some not returning.

Why is it highly unlikely?

Pro footballers can play up to 70 games a season and that's at 90 minutes a game. I've played both, association football takes a lot more out of you, tiredness and fatigue leads to far more costlier mistakes in association football.

The GAA love to give themselves a nice pat on the back for its amateur status but statements like GAA players are as fit or fitter than professional athletes is absurd on the whole.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

JoG2

Quote from: Angelo on May 29, 2020, 11:30:59 AM

And another one who is promoting the "new normal " . How about fook the new normal .

Theres lots of the normal that we shouldn't ever be returning too. The last few months was a real eyeopener to the rat race the so called normal was.

GAA also need to look at what was considered as normal, Did we really need amateur teams doing over the top training whereby some teams are fitter and more conditioned than some professional sports teams across the water?

Is this not a myth?

Didn't Aaron Kernan look way out of place on the fitness levels with the Sunderland youth team that time?

I think it's the sort of back slapping the GAA likes to give itself about it's amateur status.

Association football requires far higher levels of fitness than a GAA player, you'll always have players in association football than can survive to a degree on their ability and brain because it's a cerebral game but the ones whose game is based on their engine would absolutely destroy the top GAA player in fitness terms.
Highly unlikely would all players across the water destroy the likes of Brian Fenton,Ciarán Kilkenny, Jack McCaffrey for fitness

Are you referring to something about 5 or 6 years ago with Kernan in his 30s and retired from inter County? If so He had this to say about his experience.

There is little difference between Sunderland and Armagh's physical preparations and is convinced GAA players' fitness levels are up there with the professional sportsmen.

Comparing the two, he said of soccer: "It's tougher in that they are picking from the whole world now – it's obviously a bigger pool. But is it tougher to get yourself in top condition to perform as an inter-county footballer? It is. Because that's their job and everything is laid on for them, whereas we can get to the same fitness level, same endurance level and all that without the same time to put in

Fitness and conditioning levels has ramped up again since Aaron left the county scene. We hear it often about the serious commitment required to be a county player nowadays especially for lads working full time and traveling long distances to training. It all results in some lads with years left deciding to retire early others opting out and some not returning.

Pro footballers can play up to 70 games a season and that's at 90 minutes a game. I've played both, association football takes a lot more out of you, tiredness and fatigue leads to far more costlier mistakes in association football.

The GAA love to give themselves a nice pat on the back for its amateur status but statements like GAA players are as fit or fitter than professional athletes is absurd on the whole.

No harm to you Angelo, but I can only assume you were a goalkeeper when playing football. I played both for a long long time, soccer to a decent enough level as a midfielder. Football is way more demanding physically than soccer.

Angelo

Quote from: JoG2 on May 29, 2020, 02:38:02 PM

Is this not a myth?

No harm to you Angelo, but I can only assume you were a goalkeeper when playing football. I played both for a long long time, soccer to a decent enough level as a midfielder. Football is way more demanding physically than soccer.

I played as a full back and played at semi-pro level in the Irish league. I generally played half back or half forward in Gaelic football. The fitness standards are miles apart. Association football requires a far higher standard of fitness.

Most people's impression of association football might be playing a bit with their local side after a few pints the night before but I'm talking about playing at a decent amateur level.

I'd find I had plenty left in the tank after a Gaelic football match, less so association football.

Captain Obvious

And another one who is promoting the “new normal “ . How about fook the new normal .

Is this not a myth?

There is little difference between Sunderland and Armagh’s physical preparations and is convinced GAA players’ fitness levels are up there with the professional sportsmen.

Comparing the two, he said of soccer: “It’s tougher in that they are picking from the whole world now – it’s obviously a bigger pool. But is it tougher to get yourself in top condition to perform as an inter-county footballer? It is. Because that’s their job and everything is laid on for them, whereas we can get to the same fitness level, same endurance level and all that without the same time to put in

Because regardless of what team sport they happen to be playing their fitness levels I doubt can get much higher than it currently is. And I said some players and teams not all.

No pats on the back when GAA HQ do little about players that opt out or retire early because many feel the "normal" to be a inter County player proves to be too much of a commitment.  Now if Inter County GAA was their job and they lived on the door step to training like it is across the water the normal would probably be more acceptable for the majority of players who had enough of the county game.

Rossfan

Maybe Angelo (a year older but doesn't seem much wiser) should check with Eoin Bradley how much extra fitness did he require when he moved to Nordie Soccerball?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 29, 2020, 05:36:49 PM

Is this not a myth?

Because regardless of what team sport they happen to be playing their fitness levels I doubt can get much higher than it currently is. And I said some players and teams not all.

No pats on the back when GAA HQ do little about players that opt out or retire early because many feel the "normal" to be a inter County player proves to be too much of a commitment.  Now if Inter County GAA was their job and they lived on the door step to training like it is across the water the normal would probably be more acceptable for the majority of players who had enough of the county game.

I'd say they certainly could, association footballers can play up to 70 games a year or more at 90+ minutes a game, maximum of 3 substitutes.

What's the most a GAA player will play? Maybe 15 games at intercounty level? 70 minutes a side, maybe 10-15 between club and college at 60 a side?

We all saw how Aaron Kernan who could well go the pace at intercounty level couldn't believe the fitness levels of the Sunderland u18s or u20s, he couldn't believe the weights they were lifting despite between half the size of them. Most of those Sunderland youth players were never going to make the grade at a reasonable level, the majority probably no longer play or are in non league football.

It's absolute nonsense that is pedalled about GAA players fitness levels, fair play to them a lot of them work full time jobs and it's a hobby. I wouldn't expect them to be as fit as professional football players.

But it also negates the fact that football is a game that requires far more endurance than gaelic football, you will have guys in football who can rely on their brain and on their ability and are smart enough not to have to cover the yards others do but the ones who rely on their engines would blow a GAA player out of the water. It's extremely naive to believe the horse shit that goes on about GAA players and their fitness levels, if you genuinely believe that, you will believe anything.

And I'm not taking a pop at GAA player whom a lot will have full time jobs and family commitments to work around so it's only natural.

Angelo

Quote from: Rossfan on May 29, 2020, 05:38:31 PM
Maybe Angelo (a year older but doesn't seem much wiser) should check with Eoin Bradley how much extra fitness did he require when he moved to Nordie Soccerball?

What's soccerball? Are you an American?

Have Roscommon ever produced a pro footballer? I wouldn't expect you to know the huge differences about the game and what it requires.

Rossfan

I always have my suspicions on anyone coming on a GAA forum and constantly referring to soccer as "football" ;)

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Angelo on May 29, 2020, 10:48:23 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 29, 2020, 05:36:49 PM

Is this not a myth?

I'd say they certainly could, association footballers can play up to 70 games a year or more at 90+ minutes a game, maximum of 3 substitutes.

What's the most a GAA player will play? Maybe 15 games at intercounty level? 70 minutes a side, maybe 10-15 between club and college at 60 a side?

We all saw how Aaron Kernan who could well go the pace at intercounty level couldn't believe the fitness levels of the Sunderland u18s or u20s, he couldn't believe the weights they were lifting despite between half the size of them. Most of those Sunderland youth players were never going to make the grade at a reasonable level, the majority probably no longer play or are in non league football.

It's absolute nonsense that is pedalled about GAA players fitness levels, fair play to them a lot of them work full time jobs and it's a hobby. I wouldn't expect them to be as fit as professional football players.

But it also negates the fact that football is a game that requires far more endurance than gaelic football, you will have guys in football who can rely on their brain and on their ability and are smart enough not to have to cover the yards others do but the ones who rely on their engines would blow a GAA player out of the water. It's extremely naive to believe the horse shit that goes on about GAA players and their fitness levels, if you genuinely believe that, you will believe anything.

And I'm not taking a pop at GAA player whom a lot will have full time jobs and family commitments to work around so it's only natural.

You clearly have, intentionally or not.

Strangely you ignored my question and quote from Aaron Kernan while continue to talk about him in an effort to strengthen your debate. As for the rest you are entitled to your opinion and can knock yourself out if you believe in all of that in particular that blow out of the water view.

I'd probably be in agreement with a lot of what you said if the discussion and comparison was on players from the 80s,90s, early 00s than modern day GAA county players especially those that regularly play in the business end of the championship.

Going back to the original post and on the desire to return to normal,  I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking whats required to be county amateur player nowadays can't be considered as normal?

larryin89

Hell for leather in some gaa pitches in Dublin this morning , fact .

Know a senior club player from Kildare who also said on Thursday they got the heads up back training in July and championship will go ahead this year .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Don't know how reliable this is but heard that plan in Ros is to start the Championship late August.
3 games in 1 venue, deep cleans of dressing rooms between matches, 1 set of 8 match officials ( who'll rotate their roles over the 3 games) and no spectators.

Smurfy123

What's the reason for no spectators?

seafoid

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 30, 2020, 02:20:51 PM
Superspreading plus
no vaccine
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Smurfy123

As long as everyone is 2m surely they can't stop you from supporting a team?

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on May 30, 2020, 02:31:02 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 30, 2020, 02:20:51 PM
Superspreading plus
no vaccine
I'd go with the view of John Horan and many others.

If it's not safe for any spectators to attend then it's not safe for players and officials.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose