China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 30, 2020, 08:51:59 PM
Quote from: Olly on May 30, 2020, 08:42:03 PM
The downside though is that teachers will have to head back to work after 6 months off and that will be tough etc.
h
I often thought Olly that teaching would be a great job entirely if only you could get rid of the bloody kids!

Well if that's the case it's a great job at the moment!

Main Street

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 30, 2020, 08:38:06 PM
Quote from: delgany on May 30, 2020, 07:30:01 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 30, 2020, 06:24:31 PM
Quote from: delgany on May 30, 2020, 05:17:43 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 30, 2020, 05:06:07 PM
Quote from: gallsman on May 30, 2020, 04:01:19 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 30, 2020, 07:37:51 AM
Quote from: ned on May 30, 2020, 06:20:10 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 30, 2020, 12:55:59 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 30, 2020, 12:30:28 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 30, 2020, 12:21:07 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 30, 2020, 12:17:27 AM
Bunker probably needs to get out in the good weather for a while.

I have no worry about getting out! I've been out and working these last 10 weeks! I see first hand every day the double standards!
I trust you're getting paid for what you do?
So why be stressing yourself worrying about others then?
Remember the Gospel story about those that only worked for the last hour getting paid as much as those hired earlier?
Relax and enjoy the good weather, the cleanegcair, cleaner rivers and streams, the greeness etc and be positive.

I am paid for what I do! Do you think worker should get paid a full wage for less than a full weeks work? Do you care? Do you think it matters? Do you think there will be an incentive for these workers to return to work? I mean what fool would go back to work if they get the same wages for doing virtually nothing?

That's a very generalised view.
Would you have chosen not to work through this?
Most didn't have a choice. Lots of workers will probably go back to less hours and less money. Or may not have a job. Some may be fucked financially.
I've heard comment from someone complaining that while they work their taxes are paying for the furlough scheme. A very right wing view.

In fairness, that is true.

Let's be very clear here. As he's shown before, Bunker is simply pissed off that people who can't (and those who won't) are getting paid while he had to continue to work. He has lost nothing.

In the past he has been out of work and claimed the dole. Somehow here he thinks this is different and that he's being hard done by. Not losing your job and being in a position to earn through all of this is somehow unfair him.

I've never been paid a full wage for doing relatively nothing in both those circumstances. If there is no work for teachers they should be on the €350 like everyone else. Why not?

As for losing nothing! I'll be well taxed to the hilt when this all comes to a halt! Some one has to pay for it! Working through all this will have been of little or no benefit! Once again why do shopkeepers and the like have to work and teachers get a free pass?

I'm sure the teachers aren't paying income tax or contributions either......

The difference is i will have worked 6 months more to pay my taxes! Anyway enjoy the long holiday to September. There will be a lot of pissed off Parents to contend with when you return.

I think you ll find that teachers will have been working from home , supervising key workers children for about 70 working days to the end of June. They are not contracted to work in July and August.

Working from home! Don't make me laugh! Doing what? Really, what are they doing?

Look in fairness if I was on full pay for doing nothing - I'd be laughing at all those out there keeping the economy going.
But teachers  are such easy targets. If there was a caste system they would be at the lowest, the untouchables, fit for cleaning urinals, street cleaning etc. but seeing as they can read and write, society offers them an opportunity to be a teacher, to  improve their worth. The  reality is they're ambition less, talentless and lacked the sense of adventure to emigrate,  instead resigned themselves to a dullard life.

Drone like, they peddle failure, resulting in generation after generation of Ireland's finest emerging after 5 years none the wiser about Gaelic or French etc.  apart from cupla focail.

delgany

Quote from: Main Street on May 30, 2020, 09:10:58 PM

I have no worry about getting out! I've been out and working these last 10 weeks! I see first hand every day the double standards!
Remember the Gospel story about those that only worked for the last hour getting paid as much as those hired earlier?
Relax and enjoy the good weather, the cleanegcair, cleaner rivers and streams, the greeness etc and be positive.

I am paid for what I do! Do you think worker should get paid a full wage for less than a full weeks work? Do you care? Do you think it matters? Do you think there will be an incentive for these workers to return to work? I mean what fool would go back to work if they get the same wages for doing virtually nothing?

Most didn't have a choice. Lots of workers will probably go back to less hours and less money. Or may not have a job. Some may be fucked financially.
I've heard comment from someone complaining that while they work their taxes are paying for the furlough scheme. A very right wing view.

Let's be very clear here. As he's shown before, Bunker is simply pissed off that people who can't (and those who won't) are getting paid while he had to continue to work. He has lost nothing.

In the past he has been out of work and claimed the dole. Somehow here he thinks this is different and that he's being hard done by. Not losing your job and being in a position to earn through all of this is somehow unfair him.

I've never been paid a full wage for doing relatively nothing in both those circumstances. If there is no work for teachers they should be on the €350 like everyone else. Why not?

As for losing nothing! I'll be well taxed to the hilt when this all comes to a halt! Some one has to pay for it! Working through all this will have been of little or no benefit! Once again why do shopkeepers and the like have to work and teachers get a free pass?

The difference is i will have worked 6 months more to pay my taxes! Anyway enjoy the long holiday to September. There will be a lot of pissed off Parents to contend with when you return.

I think you ll find that teachers will have been working from home , supervising key workers children for about 70 working days to the end of June. They are not contracted to work in July and August.

Working from home! Don't make me laugh! Doing what? Really, what are they doing?

Look in fairness if I was on full pay for doing nothing - I'd be laughing at all those out there keeping the economy going.
But teachers  are such easy targets. If there was a caste system they would be at the lowest, the untouchables, fit for cleaning urinals, street cleaning etc. but seeing as they can read and write, society offers them an opportunity to be a teacher, to  improve their worth. The  reality is they're ambition less, talentless and lacked the sense of adventure to emigrate,  instead resigned themselves to a dullard life.

Drone like, they peddle failure, resulting in generation after generation of Ireland's finest emerging after 5 years none the wiser about Gaelic or French etc.  apart from cupla focail.

Such drivel. The majority of parents will appreciate the job teachers actually due , in normal circumstances , rather than casitigating them for every fk ill in society.

And most unfortunately the taught you how to read and write, so even you owe them a little bit of respect.

Enjoy the rest of your downtime

From the Bunker

I have nothing to do with the above statement. Teachers are important to society - especially good ones.

My only issue is Teachers getting full pay in the current environment for doing nothing!

dublin7

Quote from: Rossfan on May 30, 2020, 05:39:11 PM
Dublin 7 jumping on the new 2020 version of bash public service workers by stopping their agreed payrise.
Shine lights and clap hands but don't pay the fkrs!!
Young FG upper class won't be getting their way on this one.
Rossfan must be a civil servant and failed maths in school.

The country is facing into an economic recession and he thinks we should increase public sector wages. How exactly do you think we pay for this?

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on May 30, 2020, 11:09:08 PM
Dublin 7 jumping on the new 2020 version of bash public service workers by stopping their agreed payrise.

The country is facing into an economic recession and he thinks we should increase public sector wages. How exactly do you think we pay for this?

We are heading for a major meltdown. And our ''we've stayed beyond our welcome'' Government are throwing around money like confetti. Our Left wing opposition parties are even worse. looking for Social welfare to be risen up to €350. They are also looking for the €350 Covid to continue for infinity! Paul Murphy, Boyd Barrett and Mary Lou wants people to have free everything? (The Greens are keeping quiet these days. The Pandemic is a god send for the Environment).

I suppose they are appeasing to the masses. Who wants to hear you have to work, earn money and pay your way.

One thing you learn from this is most people don't want to work when there is a decent alternative. And this Pandemic offers a decent alternative!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Just flicking through here, see stuff bout teachers, couldn't be bothered to read it all.. Teachers are well paid, get great hols and are getting it handy atm. That's just the way it is.

Milltown Row2

I wouldn't think teachers are well paid for what they do, they deserve more, public sector jobs are underpaid.

Private sector all the way!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

I've read some godawful shite in my time but I'm not sure any of it matched this.

Rossfan

Quote from: dublin7 on May 30, 2020, 11:09:08 PM

The same way we paid private hospitals €350m for 3 months.
The same way were going to have to spend €Billions to stimulate the economy.
Pay increase is already approved .
I'm told its gross cost is €240m in a full year of which about €120m will be deducted so its net €120m to the Exchequer.
Another 20% at least will go back to the exchequer in VAT/Excise duty and the rest will go to the Irish private sector buying goods and services.
Ar scáth a céile a mharann na daoine.
Now remember the €350m to the Private Hospitals....
That will go to the Millionaire owners of said Hospitals who no doubt are "tax efficient"= off to the Cayman Islands and screw Paddy.
I am not a Civil servant by the way- have a humble post in the greater public service and the 2% will equate to around €300 in my pocket in a full year.
Might lodge it in the Cayman Islands......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Square Ball

Scientist posits 'wild' hypothesis that cross immunity could slow pandemic
WHO expresses caution on whether there may be protection from prior exposure to some cold viruses; scientists examine if some people are more vulnerable to infection than thought
PARIS (AFP) — Could exposure to the coronaviruses that cause the common cold help protect against COVID-19? Is herd immunity closer than previously thought?

As nations lift lockdowns and experts worry about a potential second peak in cases, our ability to ward off infection is one of the hottest topics of scientific debate.

Ever since it became apparent that children were less vulnerable to COVID-19 early in the pandemic, scientists have speculated that the regular spread of benign viruses in places like schools could have bolstered their immune response to the latest coronavirus.

Now the idea of "cross immunity" among the broader population is gaining some ground
In a recent post on Twitter, Francois Balloux of University College London noted an "intriguing" lack of an immediate resurgence in COVID-19 cases following the easing of lockdowns in several countries.

Francois Balloux (Twitter)
Among the possible explanations, he noted, were seasonality and enduring social distancing practices.

But he posited a "wilder" hypothesis as well — that a "proportion of the population might have pre-existing immunity to #SARSCoV2, potentially due to prior exposure to 'common cold' coronaviruses."

Balloux said that might explain issues like cases where there is no transmission between spouses.

Earlier this month, an American study in the journal Cell suggested between 40 and 60 percent of the population could be immunized against COVID-19 without ever being exposed to it.

Researchers put this down to the action of protective cells, known as T lymphocytes, that had been activated by other coronaviruses responsible for colds.

But authors Alessandro Sette and Shane Crotty, of La Jolla Institute for Immunology, cautioned that the research did not suggest the epidemic was running out of steam.

"Clearly some individuals are more susceptible to the disease than others; after being infected some individuals have severe clinical symptoms and might even die, while others might show very little in terms of clinical symptoms," they told AFP by email.

"Our study suggests that preexisting immunity might be one of the factors to be considered; but at this point is simply an hypothesis that needs to be addressed with further experiments."

'Jury out'
The World Health Organization has also expressed caution over the issue.

"There is certainly some evidence with regard to T cells, that if you have a previous coronavirus infection you may be able to mount a more rapid response to COVID-19," said the WHO's Michael Ryan at a press conference this week.

Michael Ryan, then WHO Director of Global Alert and Response of the World Health Organization (WHO), at a press conference in Geneva, Switzerland, May 2, 2009. (AP/KEYSTONE/Martial Trezzini)
"But there's no empirical evidence that previous coronavirus infections protect you from infection with COVID-19. The jury is still very much out on that," he added.

However, Ryan said it was an encouraging sign for the development of vaccines.

"It gives us hope that we are getting the kinds of immune responses that may be helpful to long-term protection," he said.

New waves?
Another uncertainty is whether everyone is equally vulnerable to catching COVID-19.

A growing number of scientists think maybe not, raising questions over assumptions for what is known as herd immunity.

Gabriela Gomes, a researcher at the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, told AFP that it was wrong to assume that one person is as susceptible to the virus as another, or as exposed.

"We know little about the factors which underlie this individual variation. It could be cross-immunity with other coronaviruses, but it could also be other microbes, genetics, age, behavior, and most likely a combination of many factors," she said.

In theory this could explain why early estimates of the proportion of individuals who have been infected by the new coronavirus have been lower than expected — at around 5 to 10 percent of the total population in several countries.

It could also mean a lower threshold for herd immunity — when a sufficient part of the population has caught the virus, starving it of new hosts to spread to and thereby stopping the epidemic.

This threshold, commonly accepted as around 60 to 70 percent of the population infected, is what Sweden hoped to achieve by deciding against a strict lockdown.

But Gomes said that mathematical models on herd immunity often "ignore individual variation."

According to a study she co-authored, which has not yet been peer reviewed, the threshold might be reached when just 10 to 20 percent of the population has been infected.

Gomes said her research, which simulated the lifting of social distancing measures over the next six to 12 months, suggested that even if countries that had been severely affected are "closer to herd immunity," they would still see more localized outbreaks.

There could also be "what may seem like a second wave in those countries that have been less affected so far."
At the Pitie-Salpetriere hospital in Paris, professor of emergency medicine Yonathan Freund has noticed a sharp drop in the number of infections among doctors compared with the start of the epidemic.

"This is pure speculation but it could mean that people have natural or acquired immunity," he told AFP.

It is giving him confidence.

With infections staying low three weeks after France lifted its strict lockdown measures, he thinks that could mean "the second wave is not coming and probably will not happen" in the country.

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 31, 2020, 12:01:38 AM
I wouldn't think teachers are well paid for what they do, they deserve more, public sector jobs are underpaid.

Private sector all the way!

Possibly , not begrudging them, definitely appreciate them , and some are fantastic .

Itchy

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 30, 2020, 11:31:36 AM
Quote from: ONeill on May 30, 2020, 11:02:45 AM
Seriously though. Teachers sitting around getting good tans doing fcuk all. And people like Bunker working their arses off. Something not right.

You forgot the bit about getting full pay while sitting around! They've kicked the can down the road until September! It's gas when you consider that most teenagers are hanging out in large groups with the weather being so good. And younger children are now not said to be a great risk.

Meanwhile Shop assistants, Postmen, Nurses and the like have to plough on encountering thousands of people every week!

But it's ok, Teachers have Parents are there to take up the their slack after a days work. They'll just send out an e-mail of what needs doing this week and pass the parcel onto them.

I hear they will be applying for the 350 euro themselves to cover the exam correction money they wont have access to this summer

Smurfy123

Teachers and a phased return of kids should be happening now. No doubt come September they will still pick holes about why not to go back. The amount of kids out and about now is not normal. No reason st all why they couldn't be bank in school. I will say this. If we haven't higher numbers next weekends with all the parties gatherings etc I really can't see a second wave. It's going to be a very interesting week ahead looking to see do we spike.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 31, 2020, 09:37:59 AM
Teachers and a phased return of kids should be happening now. No doubt come September they will still pick holes about why not to go back. The amount of kids out and about now is not normal. No reason st all why they couldn't be bank in school. I will say this. If we haven't higher numbers next weekends with all the parties gatherings etc I really can't see a second wave. It's going to be a very interesting week ahead looking to see do we spike.

Do you want them in or out of school? I'm confused, if they go to school in groups then it might spike it might not, if they are off school they might meet up and it might spike, you obviously want a scenario where groups meet up and no spike. That would prove your point that it's crushed, crushed I tell you
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea