12 Apostles 25 years on and Current Dubs

Started by highorlow, March 25, 2008, 10:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 25, 2008, 09:38:49 PM
What's John Gough doing with himself these days? In a way he created the 12 apostles.

I think that was the beginniing of the end of John Gough's refereeing career - how dare he send of 3 Dubs in an AI final !

highorlow

QuoteHow is history repeating itself?             

Headbutt in the tunnel anyone?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

magpie seanie

Only ever heard them referred to as the dirty dozen myself!

AZOffaly

I'd have known them as the 12 apostles alright, but I'd have known them as a few other names as well :D

Gnevin

Quote from: highorlow on March 26, 2008, 08:56:10 AM
QuoteHow is history repeating itself?             

Headbutt in the tunnel anyone?
Wasn't it a punch in the tunnel in 83 ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

AZOffaly

If it's the Talty incident, yes, I believe it was a punch. Men were men back then, no one headbutted except blackguards.

Tippfan

Quote from: highorlow on March 25, 2008, 10:45:22 AM
History repeating itself here.

Is this new breed of Dub trying to emulate the team of 25 years ago?

Gnevin's picture on his profile says it all. Alan Brogan taunting a Laois player last year. Nothing pleased me more than seeing the Dubs fail last year. Here's to more in 08.

AZOffaly

He should have a picture of Bryan Cullen taunting Declan O'Sullivan after O'Sullivan missed an early goal chance. Then Kerry Mike could have the picture of O'Sullivan shaking hands after the whistle with a big smile after scoring 1-3 and getting man of the match. That's the medicine for them boys :D

Tippfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 26, 2008, 10:19:18 AM
He should have a picture of Bryan Cullen taunting Declan O'Sullivan after O'Sullivan missed an early goal chance. Then Kerry Mike could have the picture of O'Sullivan shaking hands after the whistle with a big smile after scoring 1-3 and getting man of the match. That's the medicine for them boys :D

Brilliant!  ;)

lynchbhoy

Dublin are being seen as the 'dorty Dubs' again, but imo its unfortunate that it is not the actualplayers that are getting acreditied with this, but the management and selectors/fans.
IMO it would help dublin a lot if they were seen to be harder and tougher, and the team itself then just stuck to playing football and in a quiet but hard manner.
This 'image' helped Meath and Armagh to great success and I think Dublin could do with it.

Kerry are the only side that are above this as they simply have the best squad of players out there.
Tyrone are a midfield short of joining them.
imo

The '12 Apostoles' did what they had to do to win the game.
It wasnt pretty but they achieved what they set out to do.
I dont think many of us would set out with similar intentions - and I am sure they didnt either.
But plenty of us would do what it takes to win a game, I certainly dont berate them for that.
There is much to be admired in it imo.

The current Dublin squad are not hard at all as that Dubs team and will rely on image to get them feared.

orangeman

The playing rules have changed - the whole discipline thing has been tightened up and the media pounce on these incidents and highlight them and really expose them - Dublin are coming in for bad press at the minute and I can only conclude that management encourage this type of behaviour.

Gnevin

Quote from: Tippfan on March 26, 2008, 10:17:47 AM
Quote from: highorlow on March 25, 2008, 10:45:22 AM
History repeating itself here.

Is this new breed of Dub trying to emulate the team of 25 years ago?

Gnevin's picture on his profile says it all. Alan Brogan taunting a Laois player last year. Nothing pleased me more than seeing the Dubs fail last year. Here's to more in 08.
Sure you'd hate us no matter what i done ,would you ever go feck off .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hound

The 83 Dublin wasnt dirty in the slightest (bar Mullins  ;D  ). Anyone who thinks they are must have only seen them play one game. In 83 they played (among others) Meath twice, All Ireland champions Offaly and then Cork twice. They were all tough teams who could look after themselves, but there was hardly a dirty stroke in any of those games. The All Ireland final of 83 was just one of those things that happens sometimes in football. Two very tense teams, played in appalling conditions and reffed poorly. Barring Duff's awful wild swing, something he never did before or after (despite what some eejits would tell you), the real only dirt in the game was the Mullins v Talty ongoing feud. The 83 Dublin team wasnt a patch on the 70s team in terms of toughness. And again there were's nothing out of the ordinary in their runs to the 84 and 85 All Ireland finals.

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on March 26, 2008, 10:46:48 AM
The playing rules have changed - the whole discipline thing has been tightened up and the media pounce on these incidents and highlight them and really expose them

Look at the difference in Colm 'Senior selector with Senchelstown' Keys coverage in the Indo of Graham Geraghtys two punches on David Henry in the championship last year - something along the lines of 'There may have been accidential contact', in the build up to the CCCC reviewing that incident and his article today.

If the incident is found to have taken place, then as all the other right-minded Dub posters have said, the individual should be removed from his role and have the book thrown at him.

GY Joe

Quote from: Hound on March 26, 2008, 11:04:27 AM
The 83 Dublin wasnt dirty in the slightest (bar Mullins  ;D  ). Anyone who thinks they are must have only seen them play one game. In 83 they played (among others) Meath twice, All Ireland champions Offaly and then Cork twice. They were all tough teams who could look after themselves, but there was hardly a dirty stroke in any of those games. The All Ireland final of 83 was just one of those things that happens sometimes in football. Two very tense teams, played in appalling conditions and reffed poorly. Barring Duff's awful wild swing, something he never did before or after (despite what some eejits would tell you), the real only dirt in the game was the Mullins v Talty ongoing feud. The 83 Dublin team wasnt a patch on the 70s team in terms of toughness. And again there were's nothing out of the ordinary in their runs to the 84 and 85 All Ireland finals.

Sorry Hound, but I remember watching that game at the time and on TG4 since. That Dublin were a dirty team then is open to debate. But that Dublin were dirty that day is a fact. They were not only dirty, they were systematically dirty. They were leaving in late boots and fists all day, the Ref should have sent one off early and that might have quietened it but he let it get out of hand.
Kieran Duff kicked a fella in the head when he was on the ground...
Mullins cold cocked somebody when he wasn't looking...
You could add cowardice to dirty.
That does not excuse Galway's absolute abject display on that day, it was no wonder that they were lost in oblivion for 32 years after that . Talty at least stood up to them, how ironic that he is now so heavily involved with the Dubs.