UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

rrhf, a former prominent employee took a case against BBCNI alleging discrimination against Gaelic games. Even he, with more in depth inside information than any of us, couldn't produce a shred of evidence in a tribunal to support his allegations.

Pardon the pun, but I rest my case while I reach for a bowl of minestrone! ;D

Any craic

No thanks Tony, you've clearly been onto the BBC info department, got the info and you keep repeating it on here! Personally I wouldn't take their stats are being anywhere near gospel. They're extremely good at twisting them. As for 'couldn't produce a shred of evidence' that's just daft. I don't know why you throw in these wild assumptions because they take away from your arguments. Where you in court? Did you hear all that went on? No and no.

imtommygun - calm her down there mate. You're all over the place with some of that stuff! Seriously, I think we've all put over our points by now, so let's park it without getting out of hand.

imtommygunn

Haha, Joe Brolly eat your heart out with your debating style any craic.

I'm calm I just think you would be better placed to back up your arguments with facts rather than subjectivity!

Anyway the big test is whether they put ulster club on again. They canned them the other year and there was an uproar which got them back on. Hopefully that remains!.

I doubt we'll be seeing any AI finals the rest of the year or any live games. Would be nice to see some ulster club highlights on the news anyway as well as a radio show. TG4 seem to not put on very many ulster teams for whatever reason so viewing is minimal.

As JC says the hurling is a bit thin on the ground. I can't recall if they had highlights of the ulster club final last year. That would be my biggest gripe(I can't recall exactly). No highlights of county finals fair enough but ulster club final should be there.

Any craic

Ah now I have a bucketload of facts, as most on here know and have seen, don't kill me for making one slip! Don't hold your breath on the other stuff. Look, things have improved a bit at times, and there are some good people in there, and yes there are factors to consider, but still, for me and others, it could be an awful lot better. There's issues around balance and also the general attitude to GAA from management and certain presenters.

imtommygunn

I agree with a lot of what you say. I think it could be better but I can't see where people are coming from with 1st round c'ship club games in Armagh...

For people that love the hurling too it's worse again but then when the ulster council pay the respect they do to hurling by putting provincial finals on in November it goes a bit deeper than the BBC.

ONeill

Now, can we have a group hug and a wee mass?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Any craic

I don't think it's just about the 'first round games in Armagh', it's about making an allowance for the GAA being different to other sports. That's where the comparison bit with the likes of junior soccer falls down. That just irks GAA folk. They're not unreasonable and they don't really expect blanket coverage of 'first round games' but they also don't understand how a sporting event that attracts a 4k attendance can be completely ignored. You would think that there should be middle ground. Instead, the BBC come across as arrogant because they don't seem to realise or care that by ignoring grass roots and taking regular pot shots at GAA when there's a bit of controversy that they piss everyone off. This, as I say, comes down to some presenters and management.

ONeill

UTV basterds. They just ran a story about Gallagher stepping down from Donegal and showed a clip of him staggering with a pint in his hand. Twas funny though.

theticklemister

RORY GALLAGHER leaving Donegal made the top billing in sports in utv............

ONeill

imtommygunn

I understand what you say any craic but 2 things...

- rte show league of ireland matches live and wouldn't be near a club c'ship quarter final anywhere with many having as much or more than 4k at them. ( dublin football, cork hurling, kk hurling et etc)
- what seems to get a lot of peoples goat up is the irish league coverage but at the end of the day it is the most elite level of the sport in ni and it is a popular sport.

Anyway rory is gone and jim has just killed club football in donegal -plenty else to talk about!

Any craic

I wouldn't compare RTE with BBC in this context.

T Fearon

Any craic you seem to have an ingrained prejudice against the BBC that does not correlate with the facts.We have excellent coverage of the Championship on tv and Ulster Club Championship/National League live on BBC radio, highlights and snippets of GAA action and news on BBC newsline.What more do you want?

Any craic

And you seem to have gone completely the other way to a love-in with BBC! Seriously, as above, you've made your point, we know it, you keep repeating it as if we should just all agree with you because you are so right, I don't agree with it and many don't, but that's fine. I'm not going to go over it all again. Over and out.

T Fearon

Aye,not complaining about injustice when there's due cause! That's me alright! ;D