Jimmy McGuinness

Started by here comes 6, September 27, 2012, 08:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Jim will always be a legend in Donegal for what he achieved. But can you imagine Stephen Kenny managing a GAA team and expecting him to be a success based on his exploits with Dundalk? They are different sports with different skill sets. The psychology of both games are different.

Charlotte looked to be a safe level for McGuinness to branch out on his own as a Manager. But it looks like he bit off more than he could chew.

Jim Bob

Didn't Brolly once state that McGuinness would make a top soccer manager? Almost certain he did.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 12, 2019, 07:44:35 PM
Jim will always be a legend in Donegal for what he achieved. But can you imagine Stephen Kenny managing a GAA team and expecting him to be a success based on his exploits with Dundalk? They are different sports with different skill sets. The psychology of both games are different.

Charlotte looked to be a safe level for McGuinness to branch out on his own as a Manager. But it looks like he bit off more than he could chew.
The main difference is money
Michael Murphy and the McGees played for Jim in Donegal but in soccer they would not have been with Charlotte. They would have been with the richest club as all stars .
He probably had players at the wrong level in addition to whatever else went wrong
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on June 12, 2019, 09:23:23 PM

Michael Murphy and the McGees played for Jim in Donegal but in soccer they would not have been with Charlotte. They would have been with the richest club as all stars .
He probably had players at the wrong level in addition to whatever else went wrong

I'd presume that the other teams in the Division did not have much money or All Star players either.  The Independence lost 5-4 on penalty kicks to lower-tier UPSL side Florida Soccer Soldiers in Open Cup. I presume they had even less money and All Star players.

ck

The USL is a joke league. No relegation with small passive crowds. There would be more passion, money and crowds in League of Ireland.
I'd guess Jimmy thought it would be ideal to cut his teeth there rather than here. He'll be back managing GAA teams soon enough I'd say.

J70

More likely back in the sports psychology stuff I'd imagine.

oakleaflad

Quote from: seafoid on June 12, 2019, 09:23:23 PM

He had the only ever USLC player called up to the USA squad playing along with loan signings from Celtic. Not sure he could ask for much more at that level.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: ck on June 13, 2019, 02:11:24 PM
The USL is a joke league. No relegation with small passive crowds. There would be more passion, money and crowds in League of Ireland.
I'd guess Jimmy thought it would be ideal to cut his teeth there rather than here. He'll be back managing GAA teams soon enough I'd say.
Let's hope not. The game's bad enough thanks to him.

laceer

Fair play Jimmy. You gave it a rattle.

marty34

Quote from: laceer on June 13, 2019, 09:07:54 PM

Exactly.  Fair play to him for trying something different.  Too many begrudgers in Ireland waithing for him to fail.  Typical Irish mentality.

He had the fortitude to go to Glasgow, China and then America to try something new.  I applaud that.  Didn't wotrk out, so what.

Everyday's a school day. 

Best of luck for the future in whatever he tries.

ck

Quote from: marty34 on June 13, 2019, 09:37:09 PM

Exactly.  Fair play to him for trying something different.  Too many begrudgers in Ireland waithing for him to fail.  Typical Irish mentality.

He had the fortitude to go to Glasgow, China and then America to try something new.  I applaud that.  Didn't wotrk out, so what.

Everyday's a school day. 

Where are the begrudgers? Who is waiting for him to fail? I don't know anyone who is delighted that he has failed... and yeah so what if it has is right! Fair play to him for giving it a lash. He has balls I'll give him that.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: marty34 on June 13, 2019, 09:37:09 PM

Everyday's a school day. 

For Jimmy literally every day was a school day.

From the Bunker

Charlotte Independence won their first game without Jimmy yesterday 4-0 beating Birmingham Legion!

twohands!!!

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 17, 2019, 02:25:37 PM
Charlotte Independence won their first game without Jimmy yesterday 4-0 beating Birmingham Legion!

Since Jim was sacked Charlotte have played 6 games won 4 and drew 2.

That sort of turnaround in performance surely lengthens the odds of him getting another managerial gig.

Ball Hopper

Was there a language barrier?