Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Quote from: Main Street on July 05, 2017, 12:32:07 PM
Quote from: Stall the Bailer on July 05, 2017, 10:46:46 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 05, 2017, 10:40:52 AM
Quote from: Stall the Bailer on July 05, 2017, 10:03:14 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 05, 2017, 08:08:30 AM
Quote from: Aughafad on July 04, 2017, 07:17:15 PM
Joe McQuillan and Pauric Hughes must have naked pictures of those in the CCCC to keep getting these fixtures!
As an ulster man i have to say we produce the worse referees on the all ireland stage.

McQuillan is probably one of the better referees from Ulster too. The new breed are all awful. Every one of them is far to fussy blowing up free after free for minimal contact and not letting the game flow. They don't seem to referee with any common sense at all. A good referee has to let the game go a bit - Hughes, Hurson, Cassidy and the Down ref who's name I forget are all awful.
The referee's job, is too blow for fouls not decide how to let a game flow. It is this letting a game flow that leads to the inconsistency in refereeing. It is either a foul or not. If it is then it needs to be given.

You sound like a referee. A good referee isn't noticed during a game and lets it flow. He isn't there to be the centre of attention which some of these new referees seem to think is for the best. Awarding the most frees or giving out the most cards doesn't mean you did well. There are many marginal calls in gaelic that some referees give and some don't, those that let it flow are definitely better referees.

Some of them blow for frees that aren't even frees in the first place such as a good shoulder to shoulder challenge. And the fussy one's have ruined the advantage rule by putting their hand up for frees that weren't frees in the first place and then going back for the free when a player gets his advantage and misses the score 15 seconds later.
I agree they shouldn't blow if it is not a free, but if there is a foul they must call it, either by using advantage or a free.
That's how advantage is applied.
If there is a foul play but still an advantage to be played, the ref acknowledges the advantage with a hand gesture and pulls the game back should it come to nowt.

Nice to see you contributing to the Ulster Final Chat!!!  ;D

omagh_gael

Any word on Connaire Harrison from the Down folk?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 05, 2017, 03:15:37 PM

He's currently training with the rest of the panel and will be fine for the Ulster Final.

Taylor

Quote from: OgraAnDun on July 05, 2017, 03:45:17 PM

He's currently training with the rest of the panel and will be fine for the Ulster Final.

Great news.
Wont be any bullshit excuses then

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Taylor on July 05, 2017, 03:47:28 PM

Great news.

What will yours be for not beating us by more than ten?

Taylor

Quote from: OgraAnDun on July 05, 2017, 03:57:46 PM
Quote from: Taylor on July 05, 2017, 03:47:28 PM

Great news.

What will yours be for not beating us by more than ten?

We dont do excuses

Main Street

Quote from: WT4E on July 05, 2017, 03:11:02 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 05, 2017, 12:32:07 PM
Quote from: Stall the Bailer on July 05, 2017, 10:46:46 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 05, 2017, 10:40:52 AM
Quote from: Stall the Bailer on July 05, 2017, 10:03:14 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 05, 2017, 08:08:30 AM
Quote from: Aughafad on July 04, 2017, 07:17:15 PM
Joe McQuillan and Pauric Hughes must have naked pictures of those in the CCCC to keep getting these fixtures!
As an ulster man i have to say we produce the worse referees on the all ireland stage.

McQuillan is probably one of the better referees from Ulster too. The new breed are all awful. Every one of them is far to fussy blowing up free after free for minimal contact and not letting the game flow. They don't seem to referee with any common sense at all. A good referee has to let the game go a bit - Hughes, Hurson, Cassidy and the Down ref who's name I forget are all awful.
The referee's job, is too blow for fouls not decide how to let a game flow. It is this letting a game flow that leads to the inconsistency in refereeing. It is either a foul or not. If it is then it needs to be given.

You sound like a referee. A good referee isn't noticed during a game and lets it flow. He isn't there to be the centre of attention which some of these new referees seem to think is for the best. Awarding the most frees or giving out the most cards doesn't mean you did well. There are many marginal calls in gaelic that some referees give and some don't, those that let it flow are definitely better referees.

Some of them blow for frees that aren't even frees in the first place such as a good shoulder to shoulder challenge. And the fussy one's have ruined the advantage rule by putting their hand up for frees that weren't frees in the first place and then going back for the free when a player gets his advantage and misses the score 15 seconds later.
I agree they shouldn't blow if it is not a free, but if there is a foul they must call it, either by using advantage or a free.
That's how advantage is applied.
If there is a foul play but still an advantage to be played, the ref acknowledges the advantage with a hand gesture and pulls the game back should it come to nowt.

Nice to see you contributing to the Ulster Final Chat!!!  ;D
For the sake of the board's reputation there needed to be an injection of  some common sense, in the face of the usual inane anti-ref comments. McQuillan is a very good ref and as good as this game could get.
I'm not interested in the Ulster Final, a pox on both your houses  :D
This final is bit of a damp squib, my shackles are not aroused.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Main Street on July 05, 2017, 08:06:24 PM
For the sake of the board's reputation there needed to be an injection of  some common sense, in the face of the usual inane anti-ref comments. McQuillan is a very good ref and as good as this game could get.
I'm not interested in the Ulster Final, a pox on both your houses  :D
This final is bit of a damp squib, my shackles are not aroused.

I've always suspected that you were an inmate, somewhere... but what about your hackles?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

naka

Personally think Mc quillan is awful
One of the most self opinionated refs I ever saw
But as you say apples and oranges

stew

Quote from: naka on July 05, 2017, 10:07:45 PM
Personally think Mc quillan is awful
One of the most self opinionated refs I ever saw
But as you say apples and oranges

I have always liked Tyrone, best of luck to the red hand lads on Ulster final day.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Targetman

Tyrone pushing the boat out this weekend, squad all spending the night in Mullingar, must of been down supporting Armagh

ardtole

Any Dublin based Down/Tyrone supporters looking a bus to Clones for the Ulster final can pm me. €28 return. 4 spaces left.

armaghniac

Quote from: ardtole on July 08, 2017, 10:28:28 PM
Any Dublin based Down/Tyrone supporters looking a bus to Clones for the Ulster final can pm me. €28 return. 4 spaces left.

Will you have segregated seating?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ardtole

Quote from: armaghniac on July 08, 2017, 10:57:34 PM
Quote from: ardtole on July 08, 2017, 10:28:28 PM

Will you have segregated seating?
Hopefully it wont be needed, the Down lads are a bit outnumbered at the minute lol.

Taylor

Love Ulster Final week

Genuinely hope Down can make a game of it and can stay with us to at least half time. We need a bigger test before 1/4 finals.

MH genuinely has plenty of conundrums with team selection. Sean & Collie both had knocks so he may not take chances with them unless they are really needed (which really should not be the case)

Roll on Sunday evening......  ;D