Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on July 29, 2020, 08:11:37 PM
The lack of International competition is one thing that will stop professional/franchise teams.
Some lads can be very quick to hop to the nearest Senior Club sadly :-\

The franchise teams won't be professional, they'll just be an upgrade of how inter-county players are taken care of today. There'll be less teams in the inter-county system. So there will be more money to go around to these teams.

As well as pumping in ordinate amounts of money into Dublin GAA the Super 8's and two tier championship are the beginning stages of this.

Rossfan

Would you class Kerry's County Championship as a "Franchise" system?
Or are you just talking amalgamation of small or hurling Counties in the AI football championship?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

caprea

Quote from: Eire90 on July 29, 2020, 05:35:17 PM
The good thing about gaa is play for clubs in places where they live or born unlike soccer where Liverpool is not really Liverpool  if they go franchise models you will see Tyrone players playing for some team like the cork city cheetahs or dublin player playing for the Belfast Bobcats.

The thing is watching Liverpool and the premier league is very entertaining. Watching intercounty football is no longer entertaining as it is too predictable and one-sided.

You can go on for ever about the great model of lads playing for their home county but at the end of the day the first function of elite sport is to entertain the masses.

Intercounty Gaelic football no longer achieves this baseline requirement compared to how it did 10, 20 years ago.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: caprea on July 30, 2020, 09:07:46 AM
Quote from: Eire90 on July 29, 2020, 05:35:17 PM
The good thing about gaa is play for clubs in places where they live or born unlike soccer where Liverpool is not really Liverpool  if they go franchise models you will see Tyrone players playing for some team like the cork city cheetahs or dublin player playing for the Belfast Bobcats.

The thing is watching Liverpool and the premier league is very entertaining. Watching intercounty football is no longer entertaining as it is too predictable and one-sided.

You can go on for ever about the great model of lads playing for their home county but at the end of the day the first function of elite sport is to entertain the masses.

Intercounty Gaelic football no longer achieves this baseline requirement compared to how it did 10, 20 years ago.

Thats because of tactics and rule tinkering.

Do you think ending every team people support and making them pick new franchises will fix that? Not interested in Sligo? Go and watch the West Coast Warriors. Dublin too strong? Enjoy the Fingal Flyers or Dun Laoighre Kingsmen.

Look at what the franchises did to club rugby. Look at how every soccer franchise (Kilkenny, Fingal, Kildare, Dublin City) died on its arse.

Fock. That.

imtommygunn

It's not even the fact that the dubs are hammering everyone that makes it so hard to watch. I grew up with it and the tactics that have been brought in by the top teams with all their coaching etc are tactics that teams at every level seem to try to replicate and they just can't and it can lead to some horrendous games.

caprea

Well I disagree. If the problem is the game is so hard to watch then it seems strange

1- that games have never been so high scoring.
2- defenders attack and score like never before.

Rule changes in the GAA are largely pointless and are done to keep GAA on top of news content rather than much determination to improve the game.

Rossfan

Seems we simply need to ban tactics 🙄 and turn the playing rules back to...???
If we had different AI winners nearly every year like 90s and Noughties we'd overcome the fact that football may be awful to watch.
You can't have "franchises" in an Amateur sport while the ruggerball had to set up the 4 Professional clubs to keep their best players at home.

trueblue1234

Franchises are definitely not going to improve the viewing quality. Nor will it increase likelihood of people wanting to attend games. I can't see too many being interested in the franshise teams. The one thing about following your county, even when they are p!sh poor and the quality is terrible, it's still your county. Manufacturing an identity won't work. Plus it'll never get past county boards. They won't vote for Christmas. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Rossfan

Counties are manufactured too - by the Normans and English.
For example Ballyfarnon has nothing in common with Ballyforan except being within the lines drawn on a map by some Norman back in the 1200s.
However they're embedded in us now and from a GAA viewpoint have been there since the beginning.
However the question arises are Counties the best option any more for administering GAA affairs or for fielding representative teams?

trueblue1234

Quote from: Rossfan on July 30, 2020, 12:42:18 PM
For example Ballyfarnon has nothing in common with Ballyforan except being within the lines drawn on a map by some Norman back in the 1200s.
However they're embedded in us now and from a GAA viewpoint have been there since the beginning.
However the question arises are Counties the best option any more for administering GAA affairs or for fielding representative teams?

Anyone alive now has grown up with their county. The chances of changing away from a county set up is minimal. You'd lose the attachment you had for your county and I don't believe that would transfer across to a franchise team. MAybe I'm wrong but that would be my opinion.

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

caprea

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 30, 2020, 12:52:13 PM

Anyone alive now has grown up with their county. The chances of changing away from a county set up is minimal. You'd lose the attachment you had for your county and I don't believe that would transfer across to a franchise team. MAybe I'm wrong but that would be my opinion.

Why do you think people in Ireland support Liverpool or man utd? There's no attachment of place..

manfromdelmonte

Roscommon is a Tudor era construct + ballagh when they moved - athlone and ballinasloe when  they moved

Eire90

inter-county is the gaa equivalent of international

caprea

The county system should be kept if at all possible but the GAA shouldn't be chained to it.

The purpose of competition is to find out who is the best. By that logic the Leinster championship has no purpose because we know Dublin are the best.

And if a competition had no purpose then why would you expect anyone to care about attending Leinster games.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: caprea on July 30, 2020, 01:32:17 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 30, 2020, 12:52:13 PM

Why do you think people in Ireland support Liverpool or man utd? There's no attachment of place..

Because its easy. Sit at home or on a barstool, follow the soap opera. Much easier than supporting a local side.

The problem with introducing franchises is the Fermanagh man who loses his team, assuming he sticks with the GAA, is as likely to support the Central Dublin Dreadnoughts or the Kilkenny Kights as he is his local franchise his club side.

Then you really have an imbalance.