Qualifiers round 3

Started by orangeman, July 26, 2008, 05:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In the Onion Bag

I'm convinced the GA fix these things so to maximise gate receipts and one way to do this is to minimise fan's travel distances. Therefore:

Kerry v Kildare - at a Kildare venue as Kerry fans do not travel
Mayo v Monaghan. at Castlebar as Clones will be full or Arma and Tyronies
Wexford v Down.  Venue not that important to the GA as both teams share recent history that will attract significant nos of faithful fans
Arma v Tyrone. Guaranteed sell out at Clones or, just maybe, Casement

Zulu

I don't buy into the whole 'fixing' thing but if the GAA did I think they'd do this;

Kerry V Tyrone - In Tyrone, a definate sellout.

Mayo V Down - would be a cracking game with a guaranteed big crowd.

Wexford V Kildare - would give both sets of fans plenty of hope of a win.

Monaghan V Armagh - guaranteed sellout.

I'd love to see these games and just for the hell of it I think Kerry, Mayo, Wexford and Armagh would win them.

In the Onion Bag

I like your thinking Zulu.  If your Kerry v Tyrone and Down v Mayo games became a double header at Croker the Gaa would be quids in.

Maguire01

Why are people talking about games in Castlebar etc? It's going to be neutral venues.  A couple of potential scenarios for a double header in HQ (e.g. Wexford/Mayo/Kerry drawing Ulster teams).

From a Monaghan perspective, Wexford would be the easiest draw on paper, but if i'm honest, the biggest risk is also the biggest potential reward, and i'd love to see us have another crack at Kerry. There's no shame in losing there and you just never know!

Down Gael

Kerry are the team that everyone wants to avoid. Kerry will be like wounded lions in the next round, but I have a feeling that we are going to get them tomorrow evening, The remaining 3 teams would be pretty evenly matched, I am assuming that Fermanagh will be in the draw tomorrow night. Still its nice to be playing football in August.

pintsofguinness

If Armagh are in it I hope we get Tryone or Down till we give them a good hiding (or in Down's case, another hiding)
Wouldn't mind giving Monaghan a good beating either.

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Games definetely at neutral venues. OurNailLoney, I thought you were from Armagh?!

QuoteMonaghan V Armagh - guaranteed sellout.

Don't remember this fixture selling out Clones before and we've played Monaghan 4 times in the championship this decade. So would be fairly sure it wouldn't fill Clones for a qualifier.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Zulu

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 27, 2008, 01:42:34 AM
Games definetely at neutral venues. OurNailLoney, I thought you were from Armagh?!

QuoteMonaghan V Armagh - guaranteed sellout.

Don't remember this fixture selling out Clones before and we've played Monaghan 4 times in the championship this decade. So would be fairly sure it wouldn't fill Clones for a qualifier.

Really, I'm sure you are right about the previous meetings but with the momentum Monaghan have built and the fact that Armagh always bring a big crowd it would surely be close to a sellout, no?

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteReally, I'm sure you are right about the previous meetings but with the momentum Monaghan have built and the fact that Armagh always bring a big crowd it would surely be close to a sellout, no?

Think there's actually been 5 matches between the two - 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2006 (twice). There seemed like a poor crowd at Clones last week, although admittedly Derry bring very little support to occasions like that. Couldn't see a qualifier on a Saturday selling out, particularly as the Armagh support will drop down if we're beaten tomorrow. Maybe 25,000 at most. though hopefully such a fixture won't be a possibility till the quarter finals!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Zulu

Fair point, I forgot these games would be played on a Saturday, however that brings me to anothet point, why are these games so poorly attended? Waterford V Antrim (hurling) attracted 6,000 and Dublin V Cork got 12,000 so why do Ulster counties not get behind the qualifiers to the same degree? I'm not having a go here but the hurling games were foregone conclusions yet they got much bigger crowds than the more competitive football games.

CoDeo2

Was surprised to head there was only 7500 at the tyrone game today!! The stand was pretty full from what i could see and there wasn't a free space to be seen on the far side!! Thought there was at least 10,000!!!

amallon

From a Down perspective I want any team excpet an Ulster team.  Give us Kerry before Tyrone or Armagh.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

RedandGreenSniper

I think most Mayo people would be reasonably confident against Down or Kildare. Not so much against Monaghan or Tyrone. Pretty sure first name out has home advantage
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Ball Hopper

Venues for Qualifiers to be determined by CCCC, per below from gaa homepage.

Round Three - 02/03/04.08.08 (Sat, Sun, Mon)

The four Winners from Round Two drawn against the Four Provincial Final
Losers. Venues to be determined by the Central Competitions Control Committee.

Quarter-Finals - 09-10.08.08 (Sat/Sun)

Each of the four Provincial Champions shall play one of the four winners from Round 3. Subject to the respective Provincial Champions not meeting the defeated Finalists from their own Province in this Round, a draw shall be made to determine the pairings.Venues to be determined by the Central Competitions Control Committee.

Barney

From a Mayo view I think Kildare are the only team that we should beat, and after seeing them in the League and against Wicklow anything less would be unacceptable.

I would prefer one of the Ulster teams. I think they are all equally capable and let us see how good we are if we are to face one of the big guns in Croke Park.