Breaking news from the DRA

Started by Kerry Mike, July 21, 2008, 08:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2008, 03:13:00 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 24, 2008, 03:11:09 PM
Sorry, should have clarified. The perception out there is that he got 6 months for knocking the referee's notebook out of his hand, wheras he got two suspensions to run consecutively. Normally these suspensions run concurrently do they not???

(No video evidence with Rory so we'll just put that tinderstick to the one side there  ;))

Probably even more reason for him to feel aggrieved. I can see this becoming a 3 monther.

As for Rory and his amazing twinkling feet, we'll say no more so :D

But then again if suspensions run concurrently why did the CHC, CAC not reduce it  ??? The plot thickens...

I would strongly agree with Hardy, if the DRA finds nothing procedurally wrong with a suspension then it should be automatically doubled. Although you'd need another body to appeal this to...  ::)
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

furboot

like many others i have tried to follow all this PG stuff and tried to understand the complexities of the GAA and all i know now is that there are disciplinary rules and recommendations but there is a fair bit of flexibility when it comes to penalties. This flexibility overshot the runway when the CDC was too harsh in the first instance with 6 months. Most reasonable people would have expected a punishment but not 6 months.
Now, with hindsight and under challenge, this has been seen as too harsh within the GAA and a way to match the punishment to the crime is now underway.  All the conjecture about hidden agendas and interference and god knows what is trying to infer that there is something drastically wrong with the disciplinary structure or even the GAA itself. I don't agree - the CDC / DRA generally works ok and much better than what was ther before which ended up in court actions to stop matches etc. The people involved are most likely fair-minded and honest and if my theory is right a new hearing will end with a reduced punishment. 

I am not making a case for PG - far from it - just trying to understand why the issue has turned into such a circus - my conclusion is that a reduced but appropriate penalty will be handed out.

passedit

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2008, 01:19:53 PM
They do. It seems to take a while to get onto the internet though. Their judgments are very wordy and long, and uploaded in PDF format. I think they should release the reasons as well, but maybe that's not the norm for cases which are 'sub judice'. If you look at the DRA site, there's a few huge judgments there, including the Laois Under 21 case, and you can read exactly what happened.

Or maybe all parties have to agree to it being public?

Haven't had time nor inclination to read through the previous pages so apologies if it's in the public domain already but my understanding is that the procedural irregularities are as follows:

1. The Kerry county chairman was not allowed to enter the field of play during the game to set the referee straight.
2. The referee's report was incomplete as it did not include the standard statement that Kerry's shite smells of roses.

I expect Paul to be exonerated.

Don't Panic

AZOffaly

Actually I think it was decided that he didn't get a fair hearing because of a submission on the end of the original judgments. It brought the whoe process into question.

The submission in question was made by a Mr. It, Passed and it said

'And anyway, all Kerry lads are w*nkers anyway.'

Leo

Quote from: passedit on July 24, 2008, 04:34:37 PM

1. The Kerry county chairman was not allowed to enter the field of play during the game to set the referee straight.
2. The referee's report was incomplete as it did not include the standard statement that Kerry's shite smells of roses.

Would never have happened when the great Danny Lynch was in his prime at Croke Park. His retirement has eroded the last bastion of true Kingdom power!!
Fierce tame altogether

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2008, 03:18:51 PM
What would you do in this case, under your double or nothing scenario? The 6 month suspension is quashed, but the player is still suspended, and will be until the CHC/CCCC/CAC decides what do give him again.

It's ludicrous that a player is suspended while his case is arbitrated. Suspensions should start from the time the penalty is determined and any appeal processed. Obviously that requires fast processing and why shouldn't the whole thing be done in a week, at most, thus preventing players playing the appeals system to be free to play the next game?

muppet

http://www.reuters.com

The 6 month suspension of Paul Galvin remains in limbo today after the Disputes Resolution Authority ruled that the appeal against the CCCC ruling should be reheard by the CHC.

The DRA cited 'procedural regularities' as the reason behind the decision initially but this evening an alternative reason emerged.

A DRA source, who asked not to be named, revealed that in the past former Labour Relations Commissioner Kevin Heffernan had served on the DRA. The Kerry County Board had argued that the DRA were compromised having had 'a Dublin legend such as Mr. Heffernan' in such an influencial position.

The DRA countered by stating that Mr. Heffernan was not involved in this particular case. They continued 'if such logic was accepted that there could never be fair arbitration of any Gaa issue as every Irish person could be considered to be compromised in one way or another'.

The Kerry delegation are said to have agreed and moved that those were sufficient grounds to dismiss the case and quash the suspension.

The DRA then decided to have the CHC re-hear the case as outlined by today's announcement.

However the DRA source said that it was agreed in the event that the CHC uphold the CCCC suspension then the suspension could be appealed to the DRA again.

The DRA source revealed in that event the DRA will bring in 'international arbitrators'. While no decision has been made it is understood that former Secretary-General of the United Nations Boutros Boutros-Ghali has been approached.

The Kerry County Board had no comment on the revelation but one source said cryptically 'an bhfuill Gaeilge ag Boutros?'

AP Associated Press
MWWSI 2017

Kerry Mike

Well that's the last f**king horse I am ever talking to.  f**king Animals can't be trusted with only half the story breaking.

Is that 3 months I hear you neigh, and you know a pig that can fly too.

Yerra I don't know anymore, lets get on with the fecking football, good to see a bit of skelping in Kerry training last week always a great sign otf the panel, the ante has been raised and a bit blood spilt and now we will see if we have it in us in 2 weeks.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

magickingdom

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 24, 2008, 08:33:21 PM
Well that's the last f**king horse I am ever talking to.  f**king Animals can't be trusted with only half the story breaking.

Yerra I don't know anymore, lets get on with the fecking football, good to see a bit of skelping in Kerry training last week always a great sign otf the panel, the ante has been raised and a bit blood spilt and now we will see if we have it in us in 2 weeks.

heard it was a bit more serious than blood spilt, someone ended up with a concussion...

orangeman

Quote from: muppet on July 24, 2008, 07:49:15 PM
http://www.reuters.com

The 6 month suspension of Paul Galvin remains in limbo today after the Disputes Resolution Authority ruled that the appeal against the CCCC ruling should be reheard by the CHC.

The DRA cited 'procedural regularities' as the reason behind the decision initially but this evening an alternative reason emerged.

A DRA source, who asked not to be named, revealed that in the past former Labour Relations Commissioner Kevin Heffernan had served on the DRA. The Kerry County Board had argued that the DRA were compromised having had 'a Dublin legend such as Mr. Heffernan' in such an influencial position.

The DRA countered by stating that Mr. Heffernan was not involved in this particular case. They continued 'if such logic was accepted that there could never be fair arbitration of any Gaa issue as every Irish person could be considered to be compromised in one way or another'.

The Kerry delegation are said to have agreed and moved that those were sufficient grounds to dismiss the case and quash the suspension.

The DRA then decided to have the CHC re-hear the case as outlined by today's announcement.

However the DRA source said that it was agreed in the event that the CHC uphold the CCCC suspension then the suspension could be appealed to the DRA again.

The DRA source revealed in that event the DRA will bring in 'international arbitrators'. While no decision has been made it is understood that former Secretary-General of the United Nations Boutros Boutros-Ghali has been approached.

The Kerry County Board had no comment on the revelation but one source said cryptically 'an bhfuill Gaeilge ag Boutros?'

AP Associated Press

;) :D :D ;D ;D

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: magickingdom on July 24, 2008, 08:43:54 PM
heard it was a bit more serious than blood spilt, someone ended up with a concussion...

Saw Dara Ó'Cinnéide's piece about it in the freebie this morning -- must be creating enough of a stir for him to bring even more attention to it in the Capital. But then, the last time a training session bust-up like that made the wider press was 2006, and it really affected morale then, not.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

passedit

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2008, 04:56:59 PM
Actually I think it was decided that he didn't get a fair hearing because of a submission on the end of the original judgments. It brought the whoe process into question.

The submission in question was made by a Mr. It, Passed and it said

'And anyway, all Kerry lads are w*nkers anyway.'

ah now AZ, some of my best friends are kerrymen  ;D
Don't Panic

slow corner back

Quote from: magickingdom on July 24, 2008, 08:43:54 PM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 24, 2008, 08:33:21 PM

Whose blood was spilt, who got concussion and who did the hitting? Go on spil the beans.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Hardy on July 24, 2008, 03:14:01 PM
Whatever about harshness or otherwise (and I'm happy to leave adjudication on that to those appointed for the job) I maintain there's a lot to be said for the double or quits principle. Take your punishment or appeal, but if your appeal fails, the sentence is doubled. That would make players, management and administrators think twice before embarking on frivolous objections. As it stands, there's nothing to lose, so they figure "why not?".

The Aussie game has a reduction for an early guilty plea...that may be a better route to go.

In Galvin's case a reduction from the three months to two would have him back in mid-August and, assuming Kerry would win Rd 3 qualifier and quarter final, eligible to take the field in the AI semi-final.

That scenario should appease everybody.

magpie seanie

QuoteIt's ludicrous that a player is suspended while his case is arbitrated. Suspensions should start from the time the penalty is determined and any appeal processed.

I think it has already been agreed what he will get and the upcoming hearing will be just a rubber stamping exercise. 3 months. Next.