FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

Dunphy lead the crusade to get Trap manager and lamented how much of a step backwards it would be if the FAI didnt spend big and go for the big named manager in the running ie Trap. If Dunphy knows a quater of what he thinks he knows, he would have known Trap's style of football, how he sets up teams to negate the oppostion.....bottom line, I dont pay any heed to aul battered sausage head

Capt Pat

Comfortable against 10 men and two gifts for the goals. I don't often take up this position in relation to winning performances but last night we were terrible. The only thing that saved us was a Jeckyl and Hyde Armenia performance.

Billys Boots

I don't get this 'terrible' description - there was a job to be done and it was done.  It certainly wasn't a night for showboating; but we made far more chances than they did, for all the possession we let them have. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

It's the old glass half full, glass half empty. On the one hand we were comfortable, and never looked like going out for most of the evening. On the other hand, a lot of that was due to a) the sending off, and b) the crazy OG. I don't think we were especially comfortable until the sending off happened.
After half time, we played some lovely possession stuff, and look threatening. The goal was a just reward, and McGeady was much better on that side. Once we scored the goal we took the foot off, but even after they scored Ireland never really looked in bother. However, in the circumstances it would have been shocking if we had been in bother.

I think it's a good achievement to reach the playoffs, but at the start of the group that's probably where we would have hoped/expected to be.

As for Dunphy, spot on whoever said that he was leading the charge for Trap, and only when we've got him has he realised that a 70+ year old Italian who prospered in Cataneccio is somewhat defensive minded  ::)

cicfada

As stated previously  it is an achievement to get this team to the play offs considering where most of them play ie Championship etc!  One thing about Trap is that he is very loyal to the players! It will be difficult to see players like Coleman, Mc Carthy, Fahy Long getting a regular place on the team to be honest and even if they get their place they will probably be playing to this unattractive system! Dunphy still would not be happy with them on the team in that event! I would be worried wbout whoever we get in the play offs because the team will have the second leg at home! They have not played well at home in a long time and the pressure on them will be enormous to be honest! Turkey would be the worst draw becasue of that away leg but we will see what happens! Mc Geady and Duff should be on the wings that they fininshed on last night! Mc Geady is so frustrating to watch though, he had a clear shooting chance last night and chose to go back into the middle rather than have a crack at it! I felt sorry for the Armenians though as they  were so mush  better to watch though I suspect that if we get  through the play offs playing shit football most people won't care at all! Maybe there is a display like that Paris match in the lads waiting to come out, who knows!

AZOffaly

I kow the players aren't top notch, but this thing about them being championship players is a bit of a red herring. Yes, there are a lot of championship players, but there are a few lads actually playing in premiership teams that Trap won't play. Coleman and Long are two obvious examples. James McCarthy, is he still playing at Wigan? What about that Clarke lad at Villa?

Billys Boots

Trap was right on the money to spot that the Armenian defenders wouldn't like a big bustling centre-forward on their case for the evening - Cox was good, and Walters outstanding (for his 15 mins).  I don't think Long is out of favour; there were just better options last night.

Coleman will undoubtedly get his chances in the near future, as will Clarke.  McCarthy, I'm not so sure about, especially in relation to his attitude. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: dec on October 11, 2011, 10:33:34 PM
11                        Portugal  31202  Euro 2012 Playoffs
12                          France  30508  Euro 2012 Qualified
13                         Ireland  28203  Euro 2012 Playoffs
14                         Ukraine  28029  Euro 2012 Qualified - Seeding Pot 1 **
nice to see them calling us by our proper name!
Ireland ! :)

Clown

A lot of lads on here posting, i would say several of you watched Iireland for the first time last night since Paris maybe?

Trap has obviously sacrificed an entertaining side for one that gets results and is hard to break down, for me i accept that. Yesterday was our first goal conceded in 9 games. In those 9 games we won the carling nations cup, beat Italy in Italy and got 2nd place in the EC group. Lets be honest, we have some very average players. To get us 2nd again is a very good achievement and we'll now be 2nd seeds in the WC Qualifying campaign, when Trap took over we were 4th seeds. My one main gripe with Trap is his refusal to give youth a chance, Coleman, McCarthy, Long etc. But he's obviously a very loyal man and if you mess him about your in his bad books.

McGeady whos getting lots of abuse, granted was very poor last night, but in this group so far he's been one of our best players - Away to Slovakia, Home to Macedonia, Away to Andorra. He is frustrating but is capable of the moment of class that brought about the winning goal last night, thats why he's on the team

Have we ever finished top of a group? and under Charlton (who had much better players to work with) we were equally as dull to watch, but it was the results that counted. International football is far from entertaining lads

Roll on the play offs

laoislad

Quote from: Clown on October 12, 2011, 11:07:57 AM
A lot of lads on here posting, i would say several of you watched Iireland for the first time last night since Paris maybe?

Trap has obviously sacrificed an entertaining side for one that gets results and is hard to break down, for me i accept that. Yesterday was our first goal conceded in 9 games. In those 9 games we won the carling nations cup, beat Italy in Italy and got 2nd place in the EC group. Lets be honest, we have some very average players. To get us 2nd again is a very good achievement and we'll now be 2nd seeds in the WC Qualifying campaign, when Trap took over we were 4th seeds. My one main gripe with Trap is his refusal to give youth a chance, Coleman, McCarthy, Long etc. But he's obviously a very loyal man and if you mess him about your in his bad books.

McGeady whos getting lots of abuse, granted was very poor last night, but in this group so far he's been one of our best players - Away to Slovakia, Home to Macedonia, Away to Andorra. He is frustrating but is capable of the moment of class that brought about the winning goal last night, thats why he's on the team

Have we ever finished top of a group? and under Charlton (who had much better players to work with) we were equally as dull to watch, but it was the results that counted. International football is far from entertaining lads

Roll on the play offs

The draw has already taken place for the World Cup 2014 qualifying,we were 3rd seeds.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Clown

Quote from: laoislad on October 12, 2011, 11:13:07 AM
Quote from: Clown on October 12, 2011, 11:07:57 AM

Roll on the play offs

The draw has already taken place for the World Cup 2014 qualifying,we were 3rd seeds.

F**k so it has....i read the other day that we were 2nd seeds now going on our fifa ranking and results in this group, must be for the campaign after that  ???

NAG1

Denn Forever

Quote from: NAG1 on October 12, 2011, 11:38:08 AM
when is the draw made for the play offs?

Thursday I think and play offs start 15 Nov.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

AZOffaly

I Think it's 11th and 15th. Friday and Tuesday.