Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 11, 2018, 04:20:30 PM
Jesus all hot and bothered over a paper flower. See BR was wearing his proudly today in Livingston.Like the Scots we Irish have a conflicting relationship with the British Army, many like me had relatives killed in the WW's. i don't wear a poppy, but have no issue with people wearing it for the right reasons. Unfortunately in NI it has been hijacked by one community to ram their superiority down our throats. But as in the US it is organisations like the BL and Vets associations that look after soldiers who are cut a drift by government on leaving the army.

I had relative in that army too that never came home but what are we remembering? These lads were duped into this army into this pointless fight. They are not heroes or villans,  they are victims. They fought for nothing when the army they joined turned it's guns on their country. I remember them as naieve fools who died for nothing. Certainly nothing to be glorifying

BennyCake

Quote from: Itchy on November 11, 2018, 04:33:16 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 11, 2018, 04:20:30 PM
Jesus all hot and bothered over a paper flower. See BR was wearing his proudly today in Livingston.Like the Scots we Irish have a conflicting relationship with the British Army, many like me had relatives killed in the WW's. i don't wear a poppy, but have no issue with people wearing it for the right reasons. Unfortunately in NI it has been hijacked by one community to ram their superiority down our throats. But as in the US it is organisations like the BL and Vets associations that look after soldiers who are cut a drift by government on leaving the army.

I had relative in that army too that never came home but what are we remembering? These lads were duped into this army into this pointless fight. They are not heroes or villans,  they are victims. They fought for nothing when the army they joined turned it's guns on their country. I remember them as naieve fools who died for nothing. Certainly nothing to be glorifying

Yes I agree.

They don't put that spin on it though. No, these were brave men who sacrificed their lives for our freedom. Load of bollocks. In reality, both wars were a utterly disgusting disregard for human life. An absolute waste.

bennydorano

Yeah, I think the boul Adolf might have forced a few hands to be fair.

Insane Bolt

Many of those that served in the two world wars were conscripted and didn't have a choice. I know at 18 I might have been full of bravado....but truth be told I'd have shit myself in all probability if called up. Would all the Irish men on here answer the call....if Ireland went to war......or would they be claiming Britishness?

Orior

Quote from: Insane Bolt on November 11, 2018, 06:28:11 PM
Many of those that served in the two world wars were conscripted and didn't have a choice. I know at 18 I might have been full of bravado....but truth be told I'd have shit myself in all probability if called up. Would all the Irish men on here answer the call....if Ireland went to war......or would they be claiming Britishness?

Remember in 1914-1918, life was generally pretty shit for the proletariat. What exactly had they to live for?

The chance of a regular meal, decent clothes and a bit of foreign travel would be quite appealing for unemployed laborers living in squalid conditions and earning next to nothing. Bottom line is that they were all exploited under the guise of british nationalism.

The poppy continues to celebrate that exploitation.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

red hander

There was no conscription in Ireland. And considering Ireland, unlike the British, never had any desire to invade other countries, murder their people and exploit their resources, I'm trying to think of anyone who would want to go to war with Ireland.

BennyCake

Quote from: red hander on November 12, 2018, 02:04:04 AM

There was no conscription in Ireland. And considering Ireland, unlike the British, never had any desire to invade other countries, murder their people and exploit their resources, I'm trying to think of anyone who would want to go to war with Ireland.

You may have a few takers on that score. Especially with Ireland jumping into bed with Britain and others over recent "terrorist" activity.

Dougal Maguire

I was watching The Two Ronnies last night on UK Gold and they weren't wearing any. Clearly it doesn't force its presenters to wear the poppy
Careful now

Dire Ear

Quote from: Orior on November 11, 2018, 06:52:02 PM

Remember in 1914-1918, life was generally pretty shit for the proletariat. What exactly had they to live for?

The chance of a regular meal, decent clothes and a bit of foreign travel would be quite appealing for unemployed laborers living in squalid conditions and earning next to nothing. Bottom line is that they were all exploited under the guise of british nationalism.

100%

Main Street

Quote from: Dire Ear on November 12, 2018, 11:06:49 AM
Quote from: Orior on November 11, 2018, 06:52:02 PM

100%
To an extent in the first year, but the the promise of adventure travel did not have much appeal after the first year of war. The average dim brit may be more susceptible to jingoism but there is a limit to even their stupidity.
Conscription had to be introduced in order to replenish the ranks and the vast majority of soldiers after the introduction had to conscripted in order to join.

Hardy

Quote from: Itchy on November 10, 2018, 06:23:44 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 10, 2018, 03:24:13 PM
I've been here in England since Wed. Travelled from Sussex to Lancashire, attended a wedding and I have not yet seen one person wearing a poppy.

They have more sense maybe than the w**kers in their media maybe and louts at football matches.

Update:

On Armistice Day (Sunday) I only got out for a walk in the forest and a few pints in the pub. I didn't see more than a couple of dozen people. I'd say 60%+ were wearing the poppy.

On Monday I saw thousands of people - in the town and in Gatwick. Didn't notice any poppies.

Small sample size but my conclusion - on the whole, the English person in the street wears the poppy on the day only.

seafoid

There was an article in the FT a few years ago that pointed out that wars are a very good way of dealing with excess capacity in the economy. Everything gets destroyed and then stuff has to be rebuilt and economic growth restarts.
And I thought it was the most hideous logic. Because people die for SFA.
In March 1945 Americans And French and British soldiers were bombing the shit out of Germany and Japan . Shortly after Germany and Japan were allies.

The Brits have a military culture and can be jingoed up into supporting any carnage but war is about allocating losses. Why  should any family suffer?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

MoChara

Quote from: seafoid on November 14, 2018, 06:04:54 PM
There was an article in the FT a few years ago that pointed out that wars are a very good way of dealing with excess capacity in the economy. Everything gets destroyed and then stuff has to be rebuilt and economic growth restarts.
And I thought it was the most hideous logic. Because people die for SFA.
In March 1945 Americans And French and British soldiers were bombing the shit out of Germany and Japan . Shortly after Germany and Japan were allies.

The Brits have a military culture and can be jingoed up into supporting any carnage but war is about allocating losses. Why  should any family suffer?

Its as they say War is a game Rich men play with poor mens lives.

Interesting take that the only reason for social housing and the start of the benefit state was to provide a more robust working class better fit to soldier.

Milltown Row2

Any Poppies at tonight's match?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2018, 07:48:49 PM
Any Poppies at tonight's match?

Seen a poppy on a Norn Iron fleg. McClean wasn't wearing one, but he did have a Norn Iron fleg on his shirt.