Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

I think he was foolish to use a Bobby Sands quote in his defence. It allows for distraction and arguments about whether Sands was a terrorist etc.. Also using the word **** was inappropriate.

Apart from that he is 1,000% correct to call this bigotry out for what it is.

/Jim.

Farrandeelin

Frank Feighan sending Shamrock poppies to all politicians.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Itchy

Quote from: Boycey on November 05, 2018, 10:15:17 AM
Quote from: Itchy on November 05, 2018, 10:03:43 AM
Quote from: Boycey on November 05, 2018, 10:01:45 AM
Quote from: Taylor on November 05, 2018, 08:50:48 AM
So Matic doesnt wear a poppy and it gets little air time.
Wonder is it anything to do with McClean being a Catholic from the Bogside that he gets so much abuse?

Matic not wearing it has had plenty of coverage..

Note even close in comparison to McClean.

In what way?

A small example on this tweet...

https://twitter.com/YouBoysInGreen/status/1059511697201946624?s=19

BennyHarp

My son is 5, we live in England and in school he has recently been learning about the World Wars in the lead up to Remberance Day. He arrived home with a poppy he had made in school which he is very keen to wear. He also wants to buy one from school and seems very interested in the idea of remembering those who have died. He is however a little confused with the whole message as he wants to put a poppy on my dads grave to remember him when we visit home at Christmas - I think that might cause a bit of turning in the grave! The thing is that the school are clearly only focusing on the World Wars, which I feel is correct and I have no problem with remembering those who died - it does however stick in my craw that he wants to wear a poppy but I don't want to burden him with a whole pile of baggage about why I'm not happy with it.

In regard to getting grief in the workplace about the poppy - I'm a teacher and in the past I have been told in no uncertain terms that I'm expected to wear a poppy as part of the British Values agenda that is pushed in schools over here. I have always politely declined though and it has never been pushed further than that.
That was never a square ball!!

Maroon Manc

I've just been listening to LBC where they talked about Matic, didn't even mention McClean.

Tony Baloney

The Poppy Watch Twitter stream is great craic.

johnnycool

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 06, 2018, 09:19:49 AM
My son is 5, we live in England and in school he has recently been learning about the World Wars in the lead up to Remberance Day. He arrived home with a poppy he had made in school which he is very keen to wear. He also wants to buy one from school and seems very interested in the idea of remembering those who have died. He is however a little confused with the whole message as he wants to put a poppy on my dads grave to remember him when we visit home at Christmas - I think that might cause a bit of turning in the grave! The thing is that the school are clearly only focusing on the World Wars, which I feel is correct and I have no problem with remembering those who died - it does however stick in my craw that he wants to wear a poppy but I don't want to burden him with a whole pile of baggage about why I'm not happy with it.

In regard to getting grief in the workplace about the poppy - I'm a teacher and in the past I have been told in no uncertain terms that I'm expected to wear a poppy as part of the British Values agenda that is pushed in schools over here. I have always politely declined though and it has never been pushed further than that.

It would be interesting what slant he's being taught wrt the World Wars though. I'd make the presumption that it's a pretty jaundiced view of how the British Army operated with the warts of the likes of Bomber Harris and his crew neatly forgotten about and probably no mention of Russia and the major, major part it played in the winning of the second world war.

I honestly think this poppy day bullshit and glorification like the Invictus games is a way of encouraging the kids from disadvantaged backgrounds to sign up to be slaughtered protecting commercial interests further afield amd generating vast wealth for the military war machine.

Insane Bolt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46092838

The fact that they can't recruit enough on home soil brings home the sense of abandonment many ex service men feel. That's why in my opinion this poppy fascism has taken hold in recent years.....to raise money to cover the cost of support provided by the likes of the British Legion.....a cost that the government should bear. Many of the homeless I encounter are ex service men who feel abandoned by the government. If the government are so proud of the armed forces then why don't they support them on their return from Iraq/Afghanistan. It's very easy to send someone else's son or daughter to war. Living in England I see poppies everywhere and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.....it's when it is rammed down people's throats that I have an issue. I will probably be attending a remembrance service this Sunday as the people I support normally attend....again no problem.....and I'll be wearing one to commemorate my grandfather who served in Second World War......if that makes me a hypocrite....then I'm a hypocrite.

Boycey

Quote from: Itchy on November 05, 2018, 11:07:56 PM
Wonder is it anything to do with McClean being a Catholic from the Bogside that he gets so much abuse?

In what way?

An example from a couple of years ago?

Evil Genius

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

trailer

Heaps of Irish men died in both World Wars. They should be remembered.
The Poppy has almost become a toxic symbol because of Poppy Fascists. I am fairly certain the RBL never wanted that to be the case.

Interesting that you were expected to wear a Poppy as part of the 'British Values' agenda. As a very quick thought if you live in lets say Saudia Arabia are you expected to wear the traditional dress etc? Then we have the Burka debate. Are we tolerant of other peoples views? Even when they bring them to our own doorstep?

RedHand88

Quote from: Boycey on November 06, 2018, 03:10:23 PM

In what way?

You can find the exact same headlines again this year.

Boycey

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 06, 2018, 03:49:38 PM
Quote from: Boycey on November 06, 2018, 03:10:23 PM

In what way?

You can find the exact same headlines again this year.

Can you? The Mirror certainly adopted a different tone.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/james-mcclean-wont-wear-poppy-13505008

magpie seanie

Quote from: Insane Bolt on November 05, 2018, 07:05:26 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46095169

Abuse is ok as long as it's directed at Fenians😡

Seriously though - I understand anti-Irish abuse is a crime in the UK. Surely the perpetrators should be easily identifiable in a soccer stadium and dealt with appropriately?