Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Really enjoyed Mississippi Grind. Ben Mendelsohn put in a far better performance than many of the Oscar nominees from this year.

The Iceman

Watched Everest  - really great story - fantastic to see some of the shots (hoping a lot of it was actually everest) 6.5/10
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

StGallsGAA

lurganblue

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 06, 2016, 10:37:56 AM
Quote from: laoislad on March 05, 2016, 10:24:50 PM
A few I watched lately.
Brooklyn. Meh boring as fcuk.Nothing actully happens in the film. Don't understand how it was nominated for best movie. 2/10
Spotlight. Excellent. The Catholic Church really is as rotten as fcuk. 8/10
Creed. Not bad.Not a patch oh the Rocky movies though. Could have done with less of the Everton shite. 7/10

Agree with that re Brooklyn. I enjoyed it, but you're right nothing really happens. Not sure how it got nominated for an oscar either.

brutal show. probably the worst chick flick i've ever sat through.

also brutal was Hunger Games Mockingjay part 2. avoid the whole series if possible.

nrico2006

Quote from: lurganblue on March 18, 2016, 01:07:24 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 06, 2016, 10:37:56 AM
Quote from: laoislad on March 05, 2016, 10:24:50 PM
A few I watched lately.
Brooklyn. Meh boring as fcuk.Nothing actully happens in the film. Don't understand how it was nominated for best movie. 2/10
Spotlight. Excellent. The Catholic Church really is as rotten as fcuk. 8/10
Creed. Not bad.Not a patch oh the Rocky movies though. Could have done with less of the Everton shite. 7/10

Agree with that re Brooklyn. I enjoyed it, but you're right nothing really happens. Not sure how it got nominated for an oscar either.

brutal show. probably the worst chick flick i've ever sat through.

also brutal was Hunger Games Mockingjay part 2. avoid the whole series if possible.

The Hunger Games films get worse as they go on.  The first one was very good, but down hill from there.  The last two were terrible.  The new Point Break was pretty poor too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

50fiftyball

That 10 Cloverfield Lane looks decent that's out tonight!

The Iceman

Watched Black Mass last night. Not sure what to make of it - I maybe expected too much going in... I wouldn't know it was Depp if I hadn't known in advance - that was great - but at the same time he looked like a vampire or something with heavy makeup and unnatural features - just added a weird vibe to it for me.  The other performances were decent, the content was interesting but there was nothing endearing about the main characters like we would have had with Goodfellas... or even the Story of Danny Greene- Kill the Irish man...
6/10
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

JoG2

The Big Short -  film about the housing / economic collapse in the US. Excellent show.  Some great acting but Steve Carell stole the show.   8.5/10

leenie

Watched the intern .. It was an excruciating experience , I've come to the conclusion de Niro is only doing these shite films to make us suffer and laugh at us
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

lurganblue

Quote from: leenie on March 20, 2016, 04:18:32 PM
Watched the intern .. It was an excruciating experience , I've come to the conclusion de Niro is only doing these shite films to make us suffer and laugh at us

Agreed. Horrible horrible show.

Watched two films at the weekend.  Spotlight is slow but very well acted and i found it very interesting if not disturbing.  Mark Ruffalo was particularly good in it i thought.

Then i watched Daddys Home, some funny bits but overall i was disappointed.  Not as good as "the other guys" when Ferrell and Wahlberg teamed up before. The special effects in some parts were dreadful

gallsman

Quote from: lurganblue on March 21, 2016, 09:16:31 AM

Watched two films at the weekend.  Spotlight is slow but very well acted and i found it very interesting if not disturbing.  Mark Ruffalo was particularly good in it i thought.

Then i watched Daddys Home, some funny bits but overall i was disappointed.  Not as good as "the other guys" when Ferrell and Wahlberg teamed up before. The special effects in some parts were dreadful

Given how truly f**king awful it was, this new one must be even worse then I could have ever imagined.

lurganblue

Quote from: gallsman on March 21, 2016, 10:29:20 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on March 21, 2016, 09:16:31 AM

Given how truly f**king awful it was, this new one must be even worse then I could have ever imagined.

If you hated the other guys then avoid this like the plague

The Iceman

Got around to watching Sicario.  Not sure what all the fuss was about... some decent scenes, harrowing content, not sure where they were going with the story or even Emily Blunt's purpose in the whole thing...
5/10

Walter Cronc

Quote from: The Iceman on March 21, 2016, 03:24:37 PM
Got around to watching Sicario.  Not sure what all the fuss was about... some decent scenes, harrowing content, not sure where they were going with the story or even Emily Blunt's purpose in the whole thing...
5/10

Agree - hugely over rated!