Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 17, 2015, 01:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Galway
Kilkenny

AZOffaly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 02, 2015, 10:17:28 PM
Quote from: mouview on September 02, 2015, 09:16:23 PM
None to me, but there's a bit of a story behind that that many may not be aware of. May refer more to it after final.

I'd say that was a throw away jest comment by AZOffaly who's one of the better posters

Absolutely. In no way would I throw a cheap shot at him, he's one of my favourite hurlers and has been since I saw him as a young lad signing autographs on the field in Limerick after losing a league final or semi final. I honestly have no idea what yet might be on about, but rest assured I meant no insult to Joe, the opposite if anything!

paddyoslabs

Quote from: beer baron on September 02, 2015, 10:28:00 PM
Surprised the Canning situation isn't known nationwide by now.  Been a big fan of his since he burst on the scene and will be roaring him on Sunday. Hopefully they can do it.

havent heard anything baron,whats the story????

mouview

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2015, 10:53:01 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 02, 2015, 10:17:28 PM
Quote from: mouview on September 02, 2015, 09:16:23 PM
None to me, but there's a bit of a story behind that that many may not be aware of. May refer more to it after final.

I'd say that was a throw away jest comment by AZOffaly who's one of the better posters

Absolutely. In no way would I throw a cheap shot at him, he's one of my favourite hurlers and has been since I saw him as a young lad signing autographs on the field in Limerick after losing a league final or semi final. I honestly have no idea what yet might be on about, but rest assured I meant no insult to Joe, the opposite if anything!

Don't doubt  you for a moment.

To reiterate, the Wyse situation was a thing that happened and was over last year; a paper published it some weeks ago, at a particular time when the family didn't need it.

Bord na Mona man

finbar o tool

Quote from: mouview on September 02, 2015, 08:45:15 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2015, 02:17:58 PM
In fairness if you were tipping Rachel Wyse, you might be slowing down a bit too :)

I'm finding it hard to get excited by this. I just don't trust Galway to produce another big performance. I'm afraid it'll be a bit like the Leinster final. Token resistance, broken down and eventually KK to win pulling up by 6-8 points. I hope that's not the case, and I'd love to see a cracker, with Galway winning. I'd love Joe to get a medal. It's a shame the brother never managed to get one.

Long past tense; forget the cheap shots please, there's other things going on you may be unaware of.

Galway have been producing big performances all c'ship season, even the in LF they didn't lack for intensity or application, just pure hurling let them down, something that has been rectified largely since.

You say every year that this year is different, but maybe this time you really like to think so. My pure gut instinct about this is that many are under-rating Galway, that they have a really fine blend of steel and ability now, moreso than even 3 years ago. Conversely, I also think that KK, if not slightly over-rated, haven't been fully tested yet this season. WX were a non-runner, Deise didn't have the tactical formation or the forwards to trouble them, while Galway's shortcomings in the LF didn't expose them fully. Also think that injuries may derail them somewhat and their bench doesn't have a large threat off it. Great and proven team for sure, but not insuperable by any means.

Jaysus, whatever about Galway being under-rated, thats possible, but to say KK are over-rated is some statement!
l
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Canalman

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 03, 2015, 10:12:44 AM
Galway will win this by 4 or 5.

Totally agree.

Set up very nicely for them . If they show up and hurl they will win. Imo of course.

Think their bench will swing it for them in the second half.

Bord na Mona man

After the Leinster I had a sneaky feeling that Galway had more scope to improve. They were aimless with a lot of their play while Kilkenny were very efficient. Galway hit too many 50-50s towards Big Joe and their inside forwards. Their build up play has been far more premise since then.
Kilkenny created a lot of chances by catching ball out on the wings and then switching it back in to incoming runners.
Noticeably Kilkenny never had more players ahead of the ball than they needed to. They got numbers forward only after the ball was up there and did it with speed. A bit Donegal-esque. And this is the thing, Cody has always been very smart in how he can crowd opponents and break out. His 2006 mugging of Cork was a master class in bringing 'de blenket difince' into hurling.
I cringe when I hear blowhards claiming Kilkenny don't do tactics, or that their game is simple.

I don't think Galway are brilliant, but they may not have to be. Kilkenny are not a force of old, but they carry a massive aura which is enough to paralyse most teams near their level. In last year's semi Limerick simply couldn't get their heads around the notion that Kilkenny were waiting to be plucked and stuffed and ended up having to beat themselves on Kilkenny's behalf. Galway have that bit of madness about them where they can beat Kilkenny when they are tuned in.

mouview

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 03, 2015, 11:12:56 AM
After the Leinster I had a sneaky feeling that Galway had more scope to improve. They were aimless with a lot of their play while Kilkenny were very efficient. Galway hit too many 50-50s towards Big Joe and their inside forwards. Their build up play has been far more premise since then.
Kilkenny created a lot of chances by catching ball out on the wings and then switching it back in to incoming runners.
Noticeably Kilkenny never had more players ahead of the ball than they needed to. They got numbers forward only after the ball was up there and did it with speed. A bit Donegal-esque. And this is the thing, Cody has always been very smart in how he can crowd opponents and break out. His 2006 mugging of Cork was a master class in bringing 'de blenket difince' into hurling.
I cringe when I hear blowhards claiming Kilkenny don't do tactics, or that their game is simple.

I don't think Galway are brilliant, but they may not have to be. Kilkenny are not a force of old, but they carry a massive aura which is enough to paralyse most teams near their level. In last year's semi Limerick simply couldn't get their heads around the notion that Kilkenny were waiting to be plucked and stuffed and ended up having to beat themselves on Kilkenny's behalf. Galway have that bit of madness about them where they can beat Kilkenny when they are tuned in.

That is what I mean about not being fully tested (not 'over-rated'). A KK at their peak, up to 11/12, would be beating teams at their ease, but it's not being happening too much since. Some commentators, (e,g, John McIntyre post Waterford semi'), are ascribing almost-invincibiity to the current squad which I think is a bit off the mark. This year they were lucky to avoid relegation from the league, a competition they always take seriously. For one, I'd imagine Tipp 09-11 would have well the beating of the current team. Of course KK are most difficult to beat, tactically and ability-wise, but I do maintain that if they beat a Galway team that has played well since the LF and hopefully will remain in that vein Sunday, they will have it well-earned.

Canalman

Agree with previous posters about so called Kilkenny "aura". Worth about 4 points I think .

The "aura" in fairness was well deserved up until recently. Think Galway are the team to drive an artic through it on Sunday.

Pace, pace and more pace up front is how to beat KK and imo Galway have that in abundance together with skill.

Angus

I am rooting for Galway here! It's only my prediction, though.  :D

Trophies and titles wise, Kilkenny are way too far and better than Galway. But Galway can do wonders! With their recent Leinster and Walsh Cup victories, I bet, the victory momentum is still present. I just hope their consistency is more apparent than whatever pressure they might feel against the defending champions.  ;D

ashman

I am really trying hard to see how Galway can win this and am at a loss.

They were great in the semi but Tipp midfield and half forward line could not win enough dirty ball.

Kk will not lack in this Department .  They have enough firepower .

seafoid

Quote from: ashman on September 03, 2015, 11:16:48 PM

They were great in the semi but Tipp midfield and half forward line could not win enough dirty ball.

Galway need a bit of luck and if they  it maybe ...

FB line have a  huge job and futher out the fileld the hooking and blocking required t o control KKs balls in a are also vital.

Great to see all the Galway flags around the county.   

seafoid

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 02, 2015, 02:15:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 02, 2015, 01:46:32 PM
Unfortunately Joe aint the player he used to be, take away the frees (and he's missed a brave few also) and he isn't as good as he was, slower now, still strong but is being caught...

I haven't noticed Joe slowing down to be honest. He's only 26 so should be a few years away from slowing down yet. Just think he's having a wobbly year with his shooting but he's still contributing a lot in general play. His shooting eye will come back. Hopefully in time for this weekend as we might need it.

Bit of a strange build up this year. The hurling final is being overshadowed by the football semi replay. The hurling almost feels like an afterthought.
I heard that a close relative is quite sick so that might also be an influence.

johnneycool

Quote from: ashman on September 03, 2015, 11:16:48 PM

That same Tipp midfield and half forward line were the winning and winning well of their run in Munster. They just run into a better set up that day against Galway who had the winning of each individual battle that end of the field barring Callanan.
If that same Tipp team were lining out this Sunday, everyone would be saying they'd have a great chance and possibly favourites, so why wouldn't Galway who've improved game after game also not really be seen as a serious proposition to Kilkenny?

I think if Galway can expose the Kilkenny fullback line enough they'll do it!!

imtommygunn

I hope you're right JC but I would hold the same viwe as Ashman. I just don't see Galway winning this game :( Hope I'm wrong.