McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Not at all, it's a longer season game wise now if you going to at least the quarters.I actually thought Derry should played 2/3 more panel  players through the McKenna cup. I see E Bradley and E Mulholland probably starting this year along with the 3 Glen starters already.

Mario

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 21, 2024, 01:58:05 PMNot at all, it's a longer season game wise now if you going to at least the quarters.I actually thought Derry should played 2/3 more panel  players through the McKenna cup. I see E Bradley and E Mulholland probably starting this year along with the 3 Glen starters already.
I can't see either starting, maybe Bradley but could see him being used as an impact sub again. Who would Mulholland start ahead of?

Champion The Wonder Horse

Wasn't a stamp imo. Trod on his leg, yes, but not a stamp.

Armagh18

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on January 21, 2024, 08:08:28 PMWasn't a stamp imo. Trod on his leg, yes, but not a stamp.
Same thing tbh.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Armagh18

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on January 21, 2024, 08:22:08 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 21, 2024, 08:12:58 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on January 21, 2024, 08:08:28 PMWasn't a stamp imo. Trod on his leg, yes, but not a stamp.
Same thing tbh.

It's not though.
Still a dirty act and not really much point defending it. I'm saying that as a total neutral and someone who really admires Rogers as a footballer.

Mikhailov

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 21, 2024, 12:43:06 AMAm I the only one who thought the ref was totally inept?
He was completely erratic with his decisions for both sides, when he blew the whistle I'd no idea who he was going to award a free to.
I think he was largely to blame for the mini melee. If he took control of the game and cut out the off the ball stuff and pulled donegal on the obvious rough house tactics on mcguigan, Rogers and mckinless, that row never happens.

I wasn't close enough to see the incidents for the red cards but the first red everyone around me thought it was for donegal until we saw Rogers going off.
Not saying the reds were right or wrong as I couldn't see, but Rogers is not a dirty player so it's hard to imagine he deliberately stamped on someone.

Ref aside, Derry actually were by far the better side.
I was expecting more from donegal, even though they are not full strength.
The tactics for them seemed to be around stopping derry rather than playing their own game and it didn't work.

Lots of wides for both sides but conditions were awful so I wouldn't read much into that.

Donegal looked dangerous at times on the attack when they ran the ball but they didn't do it often enough to really trouble derry.

Derry were comfortable despite what the scoreboard said.
Murphy looks a class act.
Gilmore improved since the Armagh game and it was good to get  game time into the legs of McCloskey,  but he was rusty.

I think the panel is definitely 3 to 4 players stronger than last year with Baker, Higgins, gilmore and murphy standing out.

Mckenna cup has been great prep for the league for both sides.
I'd imagine donegal will improve for the championship,  but if they realistically want promotion, they'll need to improve a lot and quickly.

Agree 100% on the referee. Woeful performance.
No control on the proceedings at all. Both teams asking what decisions are for all game - totally out of his depth

Keyser soze

Quote from: Mikhailov on January 21, 2024, 08:52:27 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on January 21, 2024, 12:43:06 AMAm I the only one who thought the ref was totally inept?
He was completely erratic with his decisions for both sides, when he blew the whistle I'd no idea who he was going to award a free to.
I think he was largely to blame for the mini melee. If he took control of the game and cut out the off the ball stuff and pulled donegal on the obvious rough house tactics on mcguigan, Rogers and mckinless, that row never happens.

I wasn't close enough to see the incidents for the red cards but the first red everyone around me thought it was for donegal until we saw Rogers going off.
Not saying the reds were right or wrong as I couldn't see, but Rogers is not a dirty player so it's hard to imagine he deliberately stamped on someone.

Ref aside, Derry actually were by far the better side.
I was expecting more from donegal, even though they are not full strength.
The tactics for them seemed to be around stopping derry rather than playing their own game and it didn't work.

Lots of wides for both sides but conditions were awful so I wouldn't read much into that.

Donegal looked dangerous at times on the attack when they ran the ball but they didn't do it often enough to really trouble derry.

Derry were comfortable despite what the scoreboard said.
Murphy looks a class act.
Gilmore improved since the Armagh game and it was good to get  game time into the legs of McCloskey,  but he was rusty.

I think the panel is definitely 3 to 4 players stronger than last year with Baker, Higgins, gilmore and murphy standing out.

Mckenna cup has been great prep for the league for both sides.
I'd imagine donegal will improve for the championship,  but if they realistically want promotion, they'll need to improve a lot and quickly.

Agree 100% on the referee. Woeful performance.
No control on the proceedings at all. Both teams asking what decisions are for all game - totally out of his depth

And 3.....2.....1...... here comes our resident referee to defend the indefensible...

Rossfan

If only they'd ask a few GAA boarders to Ref those games...
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

JoG2

Quote from: Rossfan on January 22, 2024, 10:03:44 AMIf only they'd ask a few GAA boarders to Ref those games...

I'd pay to watch that!