Ford smax

Started by Smokin Joe, March 20, 2012, 07:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

With having 3 kids all in booster / baby seats we need a car that allows us to get the 3 seats across the back.

Herself doesn't fancy a real big wagon like a Galaxy etc and so the smax seems like a decent solution.

However, I am a bit worried about the reliability issues that google searches bring up, but perhaps these issues relate to older models (I'm looking at a 2011).

Anyone have any comments to make about the smax, or even any alternatives?

phpearse

In the same situation myself with three in child seats. Looked at a fair amount of 7 seaters and was tempted by the S Max but fuel economy was poor. Local car dealer gave me an S Max for the day and was only getting about 35-38mpg. Read about the Peugeot 5008 and ended up getting that. So far really happy. Smallish engine at 1.6 but doing 48mpg and has ample power. Got a 2011 model so it has rear parking assist, bluetooth and a few other extras that the 2010 model doesn't have. Loads of room in the back, can fit three full sized car seats across the second row. Can't imagine ever using the two rear seats but they fold down and there is plenty of room for push chairs, etc.

Ulick

In the same position ourselves. So far have only looked at the Sharan and Touran with one a little too big and the other feels very cramped. Need something to take three child seats comfortably and economical for frequent long runs as well as around town. Parking sensors are probably a must considering wife's less that perfect track record. I like the look of the Zafira, anyone tried one of these?

oakleafgael

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=20878.0

We bought a 2011 Seat Alhambra in Jan, its a new model last year and the same car as the Volkswagen but there is a fair saving on the badge. So far so good. Very high spec with everything you would look for and a great yoke for cruising along in, the sliding back doors are a great job especially for car parks etc. I had the family away on a long spin over the weekend and it returned 54.6 mpg, and that was loaded to the gills with the stuff for the three children. It manages high 40's during the week when herself is driving it on short spins. It doesn't feel that big to drive, although when you see it in a parking space there isnt any spare room.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Ulick on March 20, 2012, 08:33:52 AM
In the same position ourselves. So far have only looked at the Sharan and Touran with one a little too big and the other feels very cramped. Need something to take three child seats comfortably and economical for frequent long runs as well as around town. Parking sensors are probably a must considering wife's less that perfect track record. I like the look of the Zafira, anyone tried one of these?

I had a look at a Zafira, and you can't get the 3 seats across the middle row.  You would need to use one of the back seats, and then that leaves you with bugger all boot space, plus you have the scary issue (for me anyway) of having a child literally sitting against the back window.

Billys Boots

All of them handle badly, but none quite as badly as the smax - avoid like the plague.  Had one for a week on rental - longest week of my life. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Smokin Joe

Quote from: phpearse on March 20, 2012, 08:03:48 AM
In the same situation myself with three in child seats. Looked at a fair amount of 7 seaters and was tempted by the S Max but fuel economy was poor. Local car dealer gave me an S Max for the day and was only getting about 35-38mpg. Read about the Peugeot 5008 and ended up getting that. So far really happy. Smallish engine at 1.6 but doing 48mpg and has ample power. Got a 2011 model so it has rear parking assist, bluetooth and a few other extras that the 2010 model doesn't have. Loads of room in the back, can fit three full sized car seats across the second row. Can't imagine ever using the two rear seats but they fold down and there is plenty of room for push chairs, etc.

Interesting comments phpearse - thanks.

So is the new Peugeot any more reliable than French cars would have a reputation for?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 20, 2012, 08:53:41 AM
All of them handle badly, but none quite as badly as the smax - avoid like the plague.  Had one for a week on rental - longest week of my life.
You sure there wasnt something wrong with it? Pretty much every online review I have  read in the past would have the S Max as class leading for ride and handling.

http://yoc.whatcar.com/car-reviews/ford/s-max-mpv/summary/25567-7/

ziggy90

Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 20, 2012, 08:47:41 AM

I had a look at a Zafira, and you can't get the 3 seats across the middle row.  You would need to use one of the back seats, and then that leaves you with bugger all boot space, plus you have the scary issue (for me anyway) of having a child literally sitting against the back window.

I had a Zafira on hire some time ago & I wouldn't say it could carry four people comfortably never mind seven. Don't go near one.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Billys Boots

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 20, 2012, 09:32:59 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on March 20, 2012, 08:53:41 AM
You sure there wasnt something wrong with it? Pretty much every online review I have  read in the past would have the S Max as class leading for ride and handling.

http://yoc.whatcar.com/car-reviews/ford/s-max-mpv/summary/25567-7/

Well I suppose it was a rental car - I had a cmax at another time and I didn't like that either; might just be me and fords.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Jim_Murphy_74

Zafira is tight across the back.  You can use pop seats in the third row.  However you need to put the least-loved kid back there because they are right against the boot door.

/Jim.

Ulick

Thanks lads, will give the Zafira a miss. Will have a look at the Peugeot and Seat.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 20, 2012, 08:57:16 AM

So is the new Peugeot any more reliable than French cars would have a reputation for?

Wash your mouth out Smokin'... My wee Peugot 306 had over 190k miles on it when i sold it. Great wee motor!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on March 20, 2012, 01:31:43 PM

Wash your mouth out Smokin'... My wee Peugot 306 had over 190k miles on it when i sold it. Great wee motor!

Here, here Goats, I won't have a word against the Peugeot cars circa 1996 onwards.  Drive all day and parts cheap as chips.  406 with 185k on it and run for another 100k if I want,  great donkey of a machine!

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on March 20, 2012, 01:31:43 PM

I always thought it was the number plate that carried your yoke  ;D

So you wouldn't put a man off the notion of a Pug then?