Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Quote from: Tony on July 05, 2018, 08:26:14 PM
What's your team don?

Very good interview with John Sugrue, pre Monaghan: https://m.soundcloud.com/midlandssport/john-sugrue-pre-monaghan
Have you seen a game where Donie and Gary have lined out on the same forward line? I have, a few times, it isn't pretty.

Sugrue picks the team, not me.

on the hop

Going to be a big ask to get over the line here, monaghan don't seem to be in the best of form either but they have an athleticism in their team that we don't do well against. No matter who is selected in the forwards we can't miss the chances we have been getting. There is a general sloppiness at times throughout all the games we have played especially with frees. Generally we get between 12 to 15 scores in games, usually when we go above this we have a great chance of winning. Goals have been key and Sunday will be no different

Unlaoised

Brody

O Connor Timmons Dillon

Strong  Begley Collins

JOL Lillis

A Farrell  P Kingston Donoher

Donie   Ross  Evan O carroll

Thats the team I'd go with have Farrell to come back and help out in defense Switch Strong and O connor depending who wants to pick up who.Dillion will be on mcmanaus!
LAOIS ABÚ

Tony

I don't really agree that Monaghan aren't in good form - they beat Tyrone and had a solid league, beating Dublin in the process. They also annihilated Waterford and Leitrim. So the only real blip on their CV this year is that Fermanagh game where they lost with a late goal after being 2 points up.

That being said, I think we're better than our 2nd half performance against Dublin suggests. Monaghan will be very tough to play against and have some top players in Beggan, Whylie, Hughes, Malone and McManus. We've only had 6 days to analyse them properly, but I think John can come up with something to make us competitive. I'd love to see a good performace above anything else and see where it takes us. If we do lose, it'd be good to go out on a good performance and build for next year. Right now i can't see anything but a 4-6 point loss or so, being realistic. Bookies usually aren't far wrong. monaghan are 1/6 to win and we're 5/1. Whatever happens though, it's been a very pleasing year for us and progress has already been made. We're really in bonus territory as stated before, so let's give 100% and see where it takes us.

BallyroanAbu

Like I said before the Dublin game, it's actually quite important we put in a performance.  While we have achieved quite abit this year, Sundays match is an end of year report.  I think we can cause a shock this year but this is the last chance saloon, a severe beating would have the opposite effect.  A good performance and we look to next year in hope a bad performance we are in a bad place.  It would be the most brutal end result that is simply we don't have the players. 

Saying that I think we have the players and look forward to a good performance, possibly a win on Sunday. Fingers Crossed, Toes Etc

Gmac

Not sure if Monaghan play a sweeper but If they do I'd like to see Darren strong push right up on him don't think the corner suits him at all , would also be athletic enough to help chase runners from back from Monaghan

jimbob2

Monaghan are a huge powerful team and I am afraid they will over run our weaker players, they also have a top class subs bench. their performance against Tyrone was one of the best in the championship,unless Laois get a good start and maybe a bit of luck I cant see anything other than a Monaghan victory. I would have started Walsh. As regards Donie with one arm tied behind his back he is still the best Laois player I have seen. Dont forget in the last 5/10 years defenders have improved so much bordering on the ridiculous the way they pull drag and entangle them selves around the player in possession. his skill levels are a joy to watch and if we do get a result on Sunday he will have played a big part of it.

Giovanni

Did you see Ross Munelly, Tom Kelly or Joe Higgins in 2003? Or Tom Prendergast? Or Colm Browne? Or Liam Irwin? Or Barney Maher?

As far as I'm concerned, Donie is one of 15 Laois players who will take the field on Sunday. He deserves the same respect as all the rest of them and hopefully he will play a significant role.  Win or lose, all 15 will play a big part.

And I can assure you, he will need both his arms on Sunday.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Laois team for Sunday, Finbarr Crowley and Niall Donoher dropped for Evan O'Carroll and Darren Strong ..

Monaghan Team for Sunday

Rory Beggan

Kieran Duffy, Conor Boyle, Ryan Wylie
   Dessie Ward, Colin Walshe, Karl O'Connell

Niall Kearns, Darren Hughes

Ryan McAnespie, Dermot Malone, Fintan Kelly
Conor McCarthy, Jack McCarron, Conor McManus

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

The Boy Wonder

Quote from: Giovanni on July 06, 2018, 11:37:13 PM
Did you see Ross Munelly, Tom Kelly or Joe Higgins in 2003? Or Tom Prendergast? Or Colm Browne? Or Liam Irwin? Or Barney Maher?

As far as I'm concerned, Donie is one of 15 Laois players who will take the field on Sunday. He deserves the same respect as all the rest of them and hopefully he will play a significant role.  Win or lose, all 15 will play a big part.

And I can assure you, he will need both his arms on Sunday.

Good gosh - you left out Willie Brennan and The Beano  :D

I do like this management's style - horses for courses. I'm very happy wth Ross's selection and I think Glynn has been chomping at the bit too.
It's not just a fifteen man game so it's no bad reflection on the lads not starting - it's great to have quality players on the bench.

Best of luck to the lads.

Laoiseabu

Big test against a very strong Monaghan outfit who also have quality galore on the bench. I think we will be going well to get within 8 points of them. I see Kieran Hughes is back in the bench. Very strong full foward line of McCarthy, McCarron and McManus. Our best hope is getting the ball into Donie and Evan as quick as possible. As was said before some of our so called weaker players are going to find the going tough on Sunday so we need everyone on board and hit the ground running .

Unlaoised

My team was close im surprised with Glynn for donogher but not a bad change either .

Karl o connell is a big part of their game with his blistering pace carrying the ball forward i hope we have someone detailed to curb that .
Drew Wylie and kieran hughes not starting for them must give us a massive boost .

Conor Boyle must be targeted inside .

I see the bookies have closed the odds to 9/2 now after the line ups were announced .

This might just be tighter than people think .

Big crowd from Laois going now it seems after slow sales in tickets early in the week .

Anyone know of any decent bars up there its a town i havent ever had a pint in
LAOIS ABÚ

les Antiques

Anyone know of any decent bars up there its a town i havent ever had a pint in
[/quote]

Ryans pub is about 600 yards from the ground and is a good lively spot before matches .  A lot of people will gather at the Navan OMahonys clubhouse where in fairness there is a fine bar and if your driving a pretty large cark park . Prepare to wait though afterwards as its a nightmare getting out of there.
I recall been in a pub called Oflahertys back in the mid 90s when we played Meath ,the day Pat Roe got the line after his duel with Tommy Dowd . Back then it was pure Gaa Pub ,not sure about it now .

Chrimtain

Its hard to know what to make of tomorrow's match. If we manage to win we get to play in the Super 8s, which frankly, is a competition that is way above our standard. If the scoreline is reflected in the difference in standard between the two teams tomorrow, then we are facing into another big defeat. However, defeat would save us from the prospect of even bigger defeats at the hands of Kerry and Galway, which would do us no good what so ever.

John Sugrue deserves great credit for what he has achieved. Following the hard work of himself, mentors and the players, he has made it appear as if Laois football is in a healthy state, which it is not. The fact is that Laois football is in a very poor state and the 'progress' made this year has been no more that an illusion. Beating Division 3/4 teams only, what has been 'achieved' this year has been done with an ageing team, and as much as I respect all of those players, unfortunately, they have little time left at inter county level. And, where will we be when they are gone?

For any one deluded enough to think Laois football is in a healthy state, just look at the humiliating defeats that have been meted out to our under age teams recently. The Kildare defeat at u17 level was very bad, but following today's shocking 24 point defeat at the hands of Meath, we should hang our heads in shame, because this an accurate reflection of where we stand. That we have allowed the standard to drop so woefully low in the county is shocking and hugely disappointing.

At senior level, to even think of competing at the Super 8s level is delusional.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Have to agree about our underage teams and the way the Co.Board have neglected to invest in them over the past ten years or so. 

It's not the fault of the young players but the Co. Board should hang their heads in shame...
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!