Who's your GAA cult hero?

Started by From the Bunker, March 21, 2020, 05:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenC

Quote from: BennyCake on April 01, 2020, 04:01:05 PM
Quote from: APM on April 01, 2020, 01:48:59 PM
Are there any cult figures in today's game?  Maybe its something about getting older, but looking at lads playing senior football now, there are fewer personalities - lots of fancy dans wearing earphones on the bus - all very similar. Hardly speak, when they do they generally don't put a foot wrong. Come across very professional, but will they be remembered as fondly as some of the guys from the 80s and 90s.   

When you think back to some of the characters that stood back in the 80's and 90's. Maybe it was their names, maybe it was their appearance, maybe they were a bit mad / bad, maybe they went missing for months or years at a time and then turned up and worked wonders,

Frank McGuigan, Nudie Hughes, Mick Lyons, Kieran Duff, Willie Joe Padden, Tony Scullion,

You used to get characters in most sports: snooker, tennis, darts, cricket, etc. It's all blandness and robotic figures now though. Sure they're no craic at all.

The characters are still there. They've just learned that the media will knock them down just as quickly as they'll build them up, therefore better to stay away.

Milltown Row2

Sure if they say anything the snowflake generation will be all over them calling them out! Protesting at venues and social media bullying, not worth the effort.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: BennyCake on April 01, 2020, 04:01:05 PM
Are there any cult figures in today's game?  Maybe its something about getting older, but looking at lads playing senior football now, there are fewer personalities - lots of fancy dans wearing earphones on the bus - all very similar. Hardly speak, when they do they generally don't put a foot wrong. Come across very professional, but will they be remembered as fondly as some of the guys from the 80s and 90s.   

When you think back to some of the characters that stood back in the 80's and 90's. Maybe it was their names, maybe it was their appearance, maybe they were a bit mad / bad, maybe they went missing for months or years at a time and then turned up and worked wonders,

Frank McGuigan, Nudie Hughes, Mick Lyons, Kieran Duff, Willie Joe Padden, Tony Scullion,

You used to get characters in most sports: snooker, tennis, darts, cricket, etc. It's all blandness and robotic figures now though. Sure they're no craic at all.

Except Ronnie O'Sullivan and maybe Allen but the top brass don't like them.

Joey Barton too lol though he was probably three letters of the cult not four ;D

Yeah the personalities have died down. All about the process in all sports now.

Never beat the deeler

I'd put Colm Boyle into that category.
He was on the U21 panel 2005-2007, winning an AI in 2006 as a wing back
Came into the senior panel 2008, played out of position as a corner back
2009 league only and then dropped for 2 years
Ever present since 2012

His missing a few years of his prime, coupled with his all action performances would put him into the cult hero category in Mayo, albeit without anything too memorable on interview
Hasta la victoria siempre

red hander

Quote from: five points on March 24, 2020, 11:20:05 AM
Paul Donnelly - the best man ever to lay scoreable balls into Peter Cavavan. If Tyrone had him on the field for the full 1995 final, they would have won it.

Kevin O'Neill - John Maughan inexplicably left him on the bench in 1996. 8 years later he scored two goals in the All Ireland for a much inferior Mayo team.

Greg Blaney.

Ah, Paul Donnelly. Legend. From throwing McCartans boot into crowd in Clones to taking on and holding his own against four Cavan men under the stand at O Neill Park during particularly fractious National League game. Forgotten Tyrone hero these days, but not by fans who watched him regularly. Some player.

APM

Colm Boyle would be a player I have a huge amount of time for.  There definitely is a bit of a cult about that Mayo team in general.  Some people criticise them, but as a team they have a huge amount of character, but between their flaws and serious bad luck, they were never able to get over the line.  Who the f*** scores two own goals in an All-Ireland final?

Raymond Poulidor was a cult figure in cycling - eight podium finishes in the Tour de France, but never won it and never even wore the yellow jersey of race leader. He actually lost one Tour by 55 seconds.

Mayo is the Raymond Poulidor of Gaelic Football.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/nov/13/raymond-poulidor-obituary

BennyCake

Quote from: red hander on April 02, 2020, 02:30:40 AM
Quote from: five points on March 24, 2020, 11:20:05 AM
Paul Donnelly - the best man ever to lay scoreable balls into Peter Cavavan. If Tyrone had him on the field for the full 1995 final, they would have won it.

Kevin O'Neill - John Maughan inexplicably left him on the bench in 1996. 8 years later he scored two goals in the All Ireland for a much inferior Mayo team.

Greg Blaney.

Ah, Paul Donnelly. Legend. From throwing McCartans boot into crowd in Clones to taking on and holding his own against four Cavan men under the stand at O Neill Park during particularly fractious National League game. Forgotten Tyrone hero these days, but not by fans who watched him regularly. Some player.

All Donnellys career will be remembered for is being given the runaround by James McCartan then throwing his boot away like a spoilt child. He looked like a complete tool that day.

rosnarun

Quote from: APM on April 02, 2020, 09:16:50 AM
Colm Boyle would be a player I have a huge amount of time for.  There definitely is a bit of a cult about that Mayo team in general.  Some people criticise them, but as a team they have a huge amount of character, but between their flaws and serious bad luck, they were never have not yet been able to get over the line.  Who the f*** scores two own goals in an All-Ireland final?

Raymond Poulidor was a cult figure in cycling - eight podium finishes in the Tour de France, but never won it and never even wore the yellow jersey of race leader. He actually lost one Tour by 55 seconds.

Fixed that for you
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

APM

Quote from: rosnarun on April 02, 2020, 03:43:58 PM
Colm Boyle would be a player I have a huge amount of time for.  There definitely is a bit of a cult about that Mayo team in general.  Some people criticise them, but as a team they have a huge amount of character, but between their flaws and serious bad luck, they were never have not yet been able to get over the line.  Who the f*** scores two own goals in an All-Ireland final?

Fixed that for you

The French called Poulidor the "Eternal Second".  Maybe that's what was in my head.   :)

reillycavan

Dermot McCabe and Aidan Connolly Cavan

Seaney

Houlie rattling the onion bag especially his 93 run when we played 6 and got to and Ulster Semi and Derry played 5 and won Sam!

GetOverTheBar

Colm Boyle would be a player I have a huge amount of time for.  There definitely is a bit of a cult about that Mayo team in general.  Some people criticise them, but as a team they have a huge amount of character, but between their flaws and serious bad luck, they were never able to get over the line.  Who the f*** scores two own goals in an All-Ireland final?

I was in front of a woman a couple of years ago at Croke, lovely woman during the first game, chatting away. She had the tea and sandwiches on the go. Obviously a Mayo woman with the jersey etc so started chatting away, think it was a super 8s weekend, it was busy, but not flat out.

Ball goes in during Mayo game, not a word....couple of scores come and go, not a word. Colm Boyle hits someone a shoulder, I can't mind who, Jesus she erupted "COME ON THE BOYLER" and for the next 60 odd mins anytime he done something she let out some roar.

Could have been his granny, but she was some woman for the Boyler.

Orior

Quote from: Rossfan on March 21, 2020, 11:16:30 PM
Has to be Larry Reilly.

Agreed - and deservedly had his own thread on GAA board.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

sid waddell

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 09, 2020, 12:43:53 PM

I was in front of a woman a couple of years ago at Croke, lovely woman during the first game, chatting away. She had the tea and sandwiches on the go. Obviously a Mayo woman with the jersey etc so started chatting away, think it was a super 8s weekend, it was busy, but not flat out.

Ball goes in during Mayo game, not a word....couple of scores come and go, not a word. Colm Boyle hits someone a shoulder, I can't mind who, Jesus she erupted "COME ON THE BOYLER" and for the next 60 odd mins anytime he done something she let out some roar.

Could have been his granny, but she was some woman for the Boyler.
Boyle is the sort of player who makes the game, pure heart and determination, total effort, all action

You couldn't but be stirred by his points just before half time in the 2017 All-Ireland final and 2019 semi-final

Roy of the Rovers type points, if Roy of the Rovers played Gaelic football

I'd love to see him get a run in the final

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.