Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Quote from: sid waddell on November 08, 2018, 09:54:46 PM
Quote from: Gmac on November 08, 2018, 09:49:09 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 08, 2018, 05:27:04 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on November 08, 2018, 05:21:35 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 08, 2018, 04:00:54 PM
Absolutely not

CL stepped in front of a reporter and if you relied on the MSM for your information you'd have thought he'd be up for GBH for that encounter

If Brett Kavanaugh had got on the way Acosta did with a woman the Dems/media would have had a field day.

So Jim Acosta has sexual assault allegations surrounding him too?
yes a woman is about to drop a bombshell on him from his high school days
She doesn't remember the year , the place the time or how she got to party or how she got home , she has no witnesses but just because it's Jim Acosta I believe her wouldn't u

According to the logic of Republican-supporting posters here, the victim in the following case is a liar, "because there's no evidence".

That's Republican logic for you, ie. none at all.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/father-who-repeatedly-raped-daughter-is-jailed-for-10-years-1.3686788?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fcrime-and-law%2Fcourts%2Fcriminal-court%2Ffather-who-repeatedly-raped-daughter-is-jailed-for-10-years-1.3686788
send me on the $1 to read

sid waddell

Quote from: Gmac on November 08, 2018, 10:01:21 PM
Absolutely not

CL stepped in front of a reporter and if you relied on the MSM for your information you'd have thought he'd be up for GBH for that encounter

If Brett Kavanaugh had got on the way Acosta did with a woman the Dems/media would have had a field day.

She doesn't remember the year , the place the time or how she got to party or how she got home , she has no witnesses but just because it's Jim Acosta I believe her wouldn't u

According to the logic of Republican-supporting posters here, the victim in the following case is a liar, "because there's no evidence".

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/father-who-repeatedly-raped-daughter-is-jailed-for-10-years-1.3686788?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fcrime-and-law%2Fcourts%2Fcriminal-court%2Ffather-who-repeatedly-raped-daughter-is-jailed-for-10-years-1.3686788
send me on the $1 to read
I won't bother doing that, but what I can do for you is copy and paste the Irish Independent's report of the same case.

As I said, according to the logic of Republican supporters such as yourself, there is "no evidence" in this case and the woman is a "liar".

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/mum-protected-evil-coward-dad-who-raped-me-its-unbearable-37496724.html

News Courts Thursday 8 November 2018
'Mum protected evil, coward dad who raped me - it's unbearable'

Sonya McLean

November 6 2018 2:30 AM

A woman who was regularly raped by her father while growing up found it "unbearable" her mother gave evidence on his behalf during the trial.

Oliver Berry (61), of Newtown Laws, Mullingar, Co Westmeath, was convicted by a Central Criminal Court jury of 104 counts of both raping and sexually assaulting her between December 1982 and December 1994.

He was yesterday sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Jennifer Berry (43) waived her right to anonymity so her father could be named in any reporting of the case.

Oliver Berry had pleaded not guilty to all offences and was convicted following a trial earlier this year. He has two previous convictions for minor offences.

He still maintains his innocence and Ms Berry's mother, who has since separated from Berry, supports him and gave evidence in his defence during the trial.

Ms Berry stated in her victim impact statement, read into the record by Dominic McGinn SC prosecuting, that the first time she was ever abused by her father he took something from her, "her innocence and childhood".

She said she found it "unbearable" to hear her mother giving evidence on her father's behalf during the trial.

"Instead of trying to protect me, she protected him. She turned her back on me. I can't understand how she could do this.

"I don't know what I did to deserve two parents like that," she said.

Ms Berry said she was in fear of her father. He told her that if she disclosed the abuse her siblings would be taken away and this was a big concern for her.

She said she couldn't concentrate well in school and she never went to college. She suffered panic attacks and depression from as far back as she could remember.

"I can't say for definite but maybe it would have been different if I had been supported as a child," she said.

Ms Berry described the behaviour of her father as the "actions of a coward, evil". She said he must be "in some parts a sick man because I can't think of how he could hurt me otherwise".

She referred to incidents of attempted suicide because of the abuse and said she thanked God that she is still alive.

"I have finally got justice after 35 years. I am now strong and able to fight. I am not weak anymore," Ms Berry added.

She said that she hoped she had saved at least one person from going through what she did by reporting her father to gardaí.

Ms Justice Deirdre Murphy had adjourned the case having first heard the evidence two weeks ago.

She noted Berry was 25 years old when he first abused his then seven-year-old daughter.

She said the first time he raped her, Jennifer didn't understand what had happened by "virtue of her youth".

Ms Justice Murphy said that a year when Berry was out of work, Jennifer was raped most days when she returned home from school for lunch.

On occasion when she refused to go home she was beaten up by Berry on her ultimate return from school.

She noted that he continued to rape his daughter while she was pregnant with her first child as he told the victim "the damage had now been done".

Her father continued to rape her through the pregnancy and raped her for the final time two weeks after she gave birth.

Her baby son was in a basket in the room at the time.

The judge said that Jennifer believed Berry was her son's father until DNA testing during the Garda investigation into the rapes confirmed her boyfriend at the time was the father.

Ms Justice Murphy said sexual abuse "ruptures wider family bonds" and added that Ms Berry has "spent her entire life fighting demons".

"She has since learned that she has the strength and capacity to fight those demons," she said.

"He continually used her for his own sexual gratification and treated her as his property," Ms Justice Murphy said before she jailed Berry for 10 years.

Irish Independent

J70

Absolutely not

Leaving aside your simplistic, straw man depiction, not necessarily, but I would expect her allegation to be taken seriously and properly investigated.

Wouldn't you?

sid waddell

Quote from: J70 on November 08, 2018, 10:09:35 PM
Absolutely not

Leaving aside your simplistic, straw man depiction, not necessarily, but I would expect her allegation to be taken seriously and properly investigated.

Wouldn't you?
As I type, Jacob Wohl is furiously penning a letter of sexual assault allegation against Mr. Acosta under the pen name "Jane Doe".

J70

Quote from: sid waddell on November 08, 2018, 10:15:51 PM
Absolutely not

Wouldn't you?
As I type, Jacob Wohl is furiously penning a letter of sexual assault allegation against Mr. Acosta under the pen name "Jane Doe".

Luckily, proper investigation of Wohl takes about a press conference.

Gmac

Absolutely not

Wouldn't you?
absoloutely and if convicted for such a crime in this country he would never see the daylight again

RedHand88

Absolutely not

Nobody is calling the accuser a liar, what we would say is you cannot convict/block someone when the evidence is completely non existent. As used to be the case in the western world until 2018.

RedHand88

Quote from: seafoid on November 08, 2018, 05:25:21 PM
« It doesn't matter what's true and false, what matters is what people think is true or false »

Ok so Whitey. Say you think you are a woman.
Can you walk into the female changing rooms at your local pool?

If people believe lies they have been lied to
And that is one reason the US can't address its gun problem.
It's one reason the country cannot come together.
Who would want that?
They are playing you like a banjo on MWR.

Yes, you can.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna933516

sid waddell

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 08, 2018, 10:48:21 PM
Absolutely not

Nobody is calling the accuser a liar, what we would say is you cannot convict/block someone when the evidence is completely non existent. As used to be the case in the western world until 2018.

That's a load of bullshit. Christine Blasey Ford has been repeatedly called a liar by Republicans. She still hasn't been able to return to work, has had to hire security to protect her and is still receiving threats from Reppublicans.

Now you're admitting you think a convicted serial rapist of his daughter shouldn't have been convicted because "there's no evidence" - except that there is evidence, reams of it.

God f**king help women with people like you around.

seafoid

Trans men are not allowed into female changing rooms until"
they have « transitioned ."
Whitey hasn't had any surgery yet  as far as I know so she wouldn't be allowed in .

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Trip Gabriel

@tripgabriel

At an evangelical forum in Iowa in 2014, Matt Whitaker said he would only support judges who have a 'Biblical' view of justice, specifically New Testament, which would bar Jewish, Hindu, Muslims or atheists from the bench.

An absolute fruitcake

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on November 09, 2018, 06:04:42 AM
Whitey hasn't had any surgery yet  as far as I know so she wouldn't be allowed in .

False

RedHand88

Quote from: whitey on November 09, 2018, 12:36:43 PM

False

False in that you have had the surgery already?  :P

In all seriousness though, anyone who says this isn't coming to Ireland in the next 10 years has their head in the sand.

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on November 09, 2018, 12:36:43 PM

False
Here's wan for ya

@DaveScottSC

Replying to
@joshgreenman
and
@NormOrnstein
In a world where right wing voters can so easily choose their own facts, there's no reason asymmetrical polarization ends in the foreseeable future.

Believe what you want = polarisation
The GAA came out of a polarised era. It was designed to bring people together
It does a pretty good job.
Fox is the opposite.

sid waddell

You sure about that? I assumed he'd had a lobotomy.