The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Agree re Henderson, he has been incredible lately. The little pass to Bobby last night for the winner was sublime. Definitely a contender for Player of the Season.
9 more wins....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

JoG2

The March TV fixtures are out later today. Would anyone know the best place to get them as soon as they're published? Looking very likely its a 4pm Sunday if you go by the prices on Easyjet! Somebody maybe passing on early info to the airlines

Look-Up!

Quote from: J70 on January 24, 2020, 12:50:52 AM
Quote from: J70 on December 23, 2019, 11:14:45 AM
Tough run of fixtures coming up until the end of January. Good job they've a ten point lead with a game in hand! I would expect the reserves out against Everton.

Thu Dec 26th 20:00 Leicester City Away
Sun Dec 29th 16:30 Wolverhampton Wanderers Home
Thu Jan 2nd 20:00 Sheffield United Home
Sun Jan 5th 16:00 Everton Home FA Cup
Sat Jan 11th 17:30 Tottenham Hotspur Away
Sun Jan 19th 16:30 Manchester United Home
Thu Jan 23rd 20:00 Wolverhampton Wanderers Away

Started that run of matches with a ten point lead.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think they'd stretch the lead out to 16!  8)

Yep unreal. I was sure the gap would be closed a bit. They've rode their luck while not at their best but I suppose that's the sign of a great team.
If they click properly they really could achieve something extraordinary this year.
Just on Salah, wonder what Liverpool fans in general think of him. He can be frustrating at times with his selfishness and did the wrong thing on a few occasions last night at very critical points in a difficult game. It can be a trend with him.
Would cashing in on him if the offer was crazy be good business? No better man than Klopp to make it to the teams improvement.

quit yo jibbajabba

Hadnt been as selfish recently but was back at it last night. Still had a big part in the winner tho. Frustrating.

Tho i know that wasnt the question you asked 😃

TabClear

Quote from: Look-Up! on January 24, 2020, 12:30:52 PM
Tough run of fixtures coming up until the end of January. Good job they've a ten point lead with a game in hand! I would expect the reserves out against Everton.

Yep unreal. I was sure the gap would be closed a bit. They've rode their luck while not at their best but I suppose that's the sign of a great team.
If they click properly they really could achieve something extraordinary this year.
Just on Salah, wonder what Liverpool fans in general think of him. He can be frustrating at times with his selfishness and did the wrong thing on a few occasions last night at very critical points in a difficult game. It can be a trend with him.
Would cashing in on him if the offer was crazy be good business? No better man than Klopp to make it to the teams improvement.

From my side if Madrid offered £130m for Salah at 27 and you could get Werner at 23 for £70m you would have to consider it from a forward planning perspective. Dont get me wrong, I do not want to get rid as Salah is a brillant player and for all his frustrating moments he is a game changer and they are few and far between. However, Liverpool know better than most what happens to even great teams if you dont constantly keep one eye to next years team and the year after. 

gallsman

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on January 24, 2020, 01:09:38 PM
Hadnt been as selfish recently but was back at it last night. Still had a big part in the winner tho. Frustrating.

Tho i know that wasnt the question you asked 😃

Not intentionally so. Tried a stupid drag back that wasn't there at all and ball fell kindly.

trueblue1234

Quote from: TabClear on January 24, 2020, 01:24:36 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on January 24, 2020, 12:30:52 PM

From my side if Madrid offered £130m for Salah at 27 and you could get Werner at 23 for £70m you would have to consider it from a forward planning perspective. Dont get me wrong, I do not want to get rid as Salah is a brillant player and for all his frustrating moments he is a game changer and they are few and far between. However, Liverpool know better than most what happens to even great teams if you dont constantly keep one eye to next years team and the year after.

They should take whatever cash they have and try and make sure Klopp goes nowhere in the near future. Whatever about signing Alisson, VVD etc this squad would not be near the level they are at if another manager was in charge in my view. The progress and development of players has been exceptional. Salah is a perfect example of this. Prior to Liverpool he always had glimpses of class but was inconsistent. Those glimpses are now regular and he has consistently been a match winner. But I believe there are other Salah's out there who under Klopp's management and coaching could become world class as well. However I think there is a very limited number of managers who would have the same effect as Klopp on squad development.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

brokencrossbar1

I listened to a podcast last night which had Kylian Mbappe on it. He waxed very lyrical about the club and Klopp. I was really surprised at how smart and grounded he seems for a 21 year old with the football world at his feet. It may be a pure pipe dream but the idea of him in the team would be unreal. I'd happily let Salah go to Madrid if it meant him coming to Liverpool.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 24, 2020, 02:10:33 PM
I listened to a podcast last night which had Kylian Mbappe on it. He waxed very lyrical about the club and Klopp. I was really surprised at how smart and grounded he seems for a 21 year old with the football world at his feet. It may be a pure pipe dream but the idea of him in the team would be unreal. I'd happily let Salah go to Madrid if it meant him coming to Liverpool.

How would he fit into the pay structure at Liverpool?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 24, 2020, 05:55:07 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 24, 2020, 02:10:33 PM

How would he fit into the pay structure at Liverpool?

In the same way Sanchez did at United.

One way to guarantee a dressing room goes wandering is to pay a kid twice as much as anyone else at the club.

Ambrose

Klopp doesn't buy world class players like Mbappe, instead he transforms already good players into world class players. Mbappe would command a fee of €300m, Liverpool don't need to spend anything like that on one player.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

thewobbler

Quote from: Ambrose on January 24, 2020, 07:07:42 PM
Klopp doesn't buy world class players like Mbappe, instead he transforms already good players into world class players. Mbappe would command a fee of €300m, Liverpool don't need to spend anything like that on one player.

It's somewhere between odd and galling to read nonsense like this. He paid world record transfer fees for a goalkeeper and a defender. So he will happily buy the "finished article" when the opportunity is presented.

——

Mbappe reportedly earns £375-400k a week at PSG, or roughly twice as much as the current highest earner at Liverpool.

Presuming he won't move for anything less than a trivial pay cut, he would therefore have to utterly decimate the pay structures.

A problem for any club. But for Scouse, where every regular player apart from TAA and Lopez is aged 25+, and therefore in the market for a huge pay demand - the one that sets them up for life -  on their next contract offer, this is either financial suicide, or else the destruction of the squad.

Ambrose

Ray Charles could see that we needed a world class goalkeeper and centre half, yes we did pay huge money, but those records have since been broken and Alisson and Van Dyjk look like relative bargains now.

TAA, Gomez, Matip and Robertson have all developed into world class players under Klopp. Trent is now one of the most valuable defenders in the game and he's only 21.

Look at our midfield, Henderson is odds on to be player of the year, he gets better with every game. Fabinho is without doubt the best defensive midfielder in the league and any of our other options in the middle are all thriving under Klopp.

People like you laughed when we bought Salah, a player who wasn't given a chance at Chelsea. Who's laughing now, our front three have all developed into world class players under Klopp. Minamino is a ready made replacement for any of the three, are you telling me he won't thrive under Klopp?

The galling thing for you is that we beat Spurs so comprehensively in the CL final, we didn't really have to get out of second gear. We controlled the game from start to finish. Spurs don't belong in big games like that. They have imploded since Madrid. Madrid was the end for you, we're only getting started.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

thewobbler

Ambrose.

A simple "actually, Klopp does have a history of paying world record fees for mature players who will slot straight into the first team" would have sufficed.

Or you can keep reversing over a carcass if you like.

But it's already dead.

Up to you.

trileacman

Quote from: thewobbler on January 24, 2020, 07:59:19 PM
Ambrose.

A simple "actually, Klopp does have a history of paying world record fees for mature players who will slot straight into the first team" would have sufficed.

Or you can keep reversing over a carcass if you like.

But it's already dead.

Up to you.

You're an awful arrogant w**ker.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014