The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

QuoteWent to the driving range this morning and tried out my new swing. Disaster, every shot hooked badly to the left. Whats the craic there?

It could be just a small thing with your set up? You could have an 'open' stance? Your toes and shoulders should be aligned towards the target. If your left foot is behind your right at the set up this could be causing you to pull your shots. Line yourself up using another club on the ground and lined up towards the target.

If its not your set-up then check your grip. You may be 'overgripping' which will induce a draw or hook. The test on this is that only 2 knuckles shoould be visable on your right hand. If 3 are showing then you are over gripping.

How tall are you? If you are over 6' then you could be bending down over the ball too much. This is common in tall players starting off. Try and get a stance thats fairly upright. You may need to be fitted for clubs after a while if you are tall.

Also, don't try and blast the ball or take the cover off the ball. Remember that its a stroke. Start off practising with 3 and 5 woods, leave the driver in the boot for a while.

p.s. the above is all assuming your a right hander..
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

The Real Laoislad

I find I hit my irons much straighter by not doing a full back swing.
Don't really lose any distance either.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

JimStynes

Quote from: highorlow on July 27, 2010, 02:05:12 PM
QuoteWent to the driving range this morning and tried out my new swing. Disaster, every shot hooked badly to the left. Whats the craic there?

It could be just a small thing with your set up? You could have an 'open' stance? Your toes and shoulders should be aligned towards the target. If your left foot is behind your right at the set up this could be causing you to pull your shots. Line yourself up using another club on the ground and lined up towards the target.

If its not your set-up then check your grip. You may be 'overgripping' which will induce a draw or hook. The test on this is that only 2 knuckles shoould be visable on your right hand. If 3 are showing then you are over gripping.

How tall are you? If you are over 6' then you could be bending down over the ball too much. This is common in tall players starting off. Try and get a stance thats fairly upright. You may need to be fitted for clubs after a while if you are tall.

Also, don't try and blast the ball or take the cover off the ball. Remember that its a stroke. Start off practising with 3 and 5 woods, leave the driver in the boot for a while.

p.s. the above is all assuming your a right hander..

Im 6 foot and right handed. I didnt even try using a driver today, just using 5 iron, 9 iron and PW.  I am booking myself in for a lesson with a local pro on friday because i havnt a clue what way i am meant to be hitting the ball. I hate being a beginner. Hopefully by next summer i will be much better.

I played my first proper 18 holes on sunday morning, lost a few balls and shot 108. Shit enough and this was with my more comfortable hurling grip though, it would be 208 with this new grip i am using at the moment.

Puckoon

If you are swinging at it harder than you need to - you can end up turning your hands over towards the end of your swing (follow through) and this can lead to the badly pulled/hooked ball.

I play a high draw, but now and then (and occasionally for an entire round when I get inside my own head) I can lose my hands on the follow through and duck hook the ball with the best of them.

Story -
Just finished 9 months at a new job, for my review my boss said there was no raise at this stage, but he wanted to host me at his private club. No worries thought I, I can shoot 80-86 on most courses. Anyway, I got a little nervous and started the duck hooks off the tee. Wasnt until the 7th/8th hole where I knew breaking 90 was beyond me that I just relaxed, and started playing a little. All was going swimmingly until the 16th where I duckhooked a long 5 wood on a par 5, and it flew right (left) towards a mound of rocks. There was a group just walking off the green waaay out of reach, but the ball hit the rocks, flew up the cart path and clipped the ankle of none other than the champion golfer of the country club. No Fore, nothing. Of course the sight of a half cut, sunburnt and tattooed irish gulpin walking up to offer his apologies probably didnt do much other than fan the flames - but I doubt I will be invited back to that course this year.

Used this website www.golfnow.com to book a tee time for tomorrow for $27 on a course that I paid $85 dollars on for a saturday last october. Dont know if it covers Irish courses.

http://www.resortatredhawk.com/getPage.aspx?pid=pidxuwak63345628825ao132

The Real Laoislad

Played 18 tonight in Grangecastle.
On one of the holes I landed my ball on the green in a fine spot to make a birdie,as I came up to my ball a dog that had been running around the course,(but causing no trouble in fairness) went over to my ball and picked it up and ran off with it in his mouth.
He dropped the ball about 50 yards away so I was able get it back,just wondering what the ruling would be on this?
I put my ball back to as close as I and my playing partner thought it was before the dog took it,but didn't mark a extra score on my card,should I have or should I have played it from where the dog dropped it?
It was only a friendly evening game but I just wondered what would happen if I was playing in a competition.
I missed the birdie putt   ::) btw
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 29, 2010, 09:07:23 PM
On one of the holes I landed my ball on the green in a fine spot to make a birdie,as I came up to my ball a dog that had been running around the course,(but causing no trouble in fairness) went over to my ball and picked it up and ran off with it in his mouth.
He dropped the ball about 50 yards away so I was able get it back,just wondering what the ruling would be on this?
I put my ball back to as close as I and my playing partner thought it was before the dog took it,but didn't mark a extra score on my card,should I have or should I have played it from where the dog dropped it?
It was only a friendly evening game but I just wondered what would happen if I was playing in a competition.

You'd place it where the dog took it. If the dog took it and left it beside the pin you'd have to go back. You can't have it both ways  ;)

the waffler

laoislad is that natilie gluibiss in your pic  ;) ;) :D

heffo

It must be heartbreaking for you having to slum it on a Dublin public course TRLL especially given your dislike of the Dublin working class

The Watcher Pat

You replace it as close as possible to where you and your partner think it was

BALL AT REST MOVED

If your ball is at rest and it is moved by you, your partner or your caddie, except as permitted by the Rules, or if it moves after you have addressed it, add a penalty stroke and replace your ball.

If your ball is at rest and is moved by someone else or another ball, replace it without penalty to you.
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: heffo on July 30, 2010, 03:38:40 PM

It must be heartbreaking for you having to slum it on a Dublin public course TRLL especially given your dislike of the Dublin working class

What ever gave you that idea.?

For a public course Grangecastle is up there with as good a Golf course as I have played on btw,they keep it immaculate
You'll Never Walk Alone.

magickingdom

super super day at the irish open today, very well put together despite the iffy weather. those guys are good...

muppet

Quote from: magickingdom on July 30, 2010, 11:07:27 PM
super super day at the irish open today, very well put together despite the iffy weather. those guys are good...

How'd you get on today?
MWWSI 2017

magickingdom

didnt go today muppet as i had bigger plans, things didnt work out so good tho..

muppet

Quote from: magickingdom on July 31, 2010, 08:07:04 PM
didnt go today muppet as i had bigger plans, things didnt work out so good tho..

Harrington dropped from T3 to T5 but is only 3 off the lead. Fisher slipped a bit understandably after his 61. Lowry another good day, pity about the 74 to start.
MWWSI 2017

magickingdom

Quote from: muppet on July 31, 2010, 08:15:02 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on July 31, 2010, 08:07:04 PM

Harrington dropped from T3 to T5 but is only 3 off the lead. Fisher slipped a bit understandably after his 61. Lowry another good day, pity about the 74 to start.

should be a cracker tomorrow, it will help get over todays defeat a tiny bit ;) harry has a great chance. i love the kileen course and am delighted its holding up so well to the pros. pity about the weather tho