The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leaveherinsir

Thinkin of changing my irons, anyone bought recently?
I play off 9, was a 6 in my heyday!
Looking for something which will give me a more consistent ball strike, currently using maxfli revolution irons. Great clubs in their day, probably too blade like now. Good shots with them feel great, but the off centre strike is horrible!

David McKeown

Played Down Royal on Saturday, in what was my first round since I broke my back, and I was utterly awful but thankfully Ive played since and been much better, that said I have really struggled with my mid irons to the point im very worried about them.  They are Titleist 990's which I got in my teenage years when I was playing off 13 and I could use them to shape the ball.  Im now off 20 and wondering if they just arent forgiving enough now my game is much worse.  Thinking of replacing them with a second hand set until I get back to my previous level.  I am thinking of an old set of Taylor Made LCG'S as I still use a Ti Bubble 2 driver and 3 wood.  Is this a good approach to take?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Puckoon

Quote from: leaveherinsir on August 18, 2011, 07:02:04 PM
Thinkin of changing my irons, anyone bought recently?
I play off 9, was a 6 in my heyday!
Looking for something which will give me a more consistent ball strike, currently using maxfli revolution irons. Great clubs in their day, probably too blade like now. Good shots with them feel great, but the off centre strike is horrible!

A few of the better golfers I am playing with currently (4-10 handicappers) are playing combo iron sets. Basically they are putting together cavity backed low-mid irons - and then bladed 8-P irons. The cavity backed irons obviously being much more forgiving - and low irons generally harder to hit.

I should get around to changing my irons in the next few years - currenly playing the Cleveland tour action irons - and love them. I've relagated the 3 and 4 irons out of the bag however and added another wedge and a 17 degree hybrid in their place.

David - there are so many options out there and the technology is improving so rapidly - but those LCGs are probably still a great club. You should just go and test a bunch of clubs and not go in to purchase with a make and model stuck in your mind - they may be great for you - but they may not be.

Puckoon

Ill tell you one thing guys - Feherty may be the best thing on TV at the minute.

Watched the caddy episode the other night, fair enough I was twice baked - but I find him really funny. For some reason they really open up to him. He asked his ma a few episodes back was she going to drain his spuds for him. Feckin' eejit.

http://www.golfchannel.com/tv/feherty/

Orior

Quote from: David McKeown on August 18, 2011, 07:45:39 PM
Played Down Royal on Saturday, in what was my first round since I broke my back, and I was utterly awful but thankfully Ive played since and been much better, that said I have really struggled with my mid irons to the point im very worried about them.  They are Titleist 990's which I got in my teenage years when I was playing off 13 and I could use them to shape the ball.  Im now off 20 and wondering if they just arent forgiving enough now my game is much worse.  Thinking of replacing them with a second hand set until I get back to my previous level.  I am thinking of an old set of Taylor Made LCG'S as I still use a Ti Bubble 2 driver and 3 wood.  Is this a good approach to take?

Is that the one inside the Maze race course or the one beside Holywood?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Okay, its the middle of the round, but at 3pm, there are 4 Irishmen in the top 6 in the Czech Open.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2011/tournamentid=2011059/leaderboard/index.html

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

David McKeown

Quote from: Orior on August 18, 2011, 08:56:22 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on August 18, 2011, 07:45:39 PM

Is that the one inside the Maze race course or the one beside Holywood?

Maze Racecourse

Puck thanks for the advice but i was more meaning which of these three options should I go with  1. I get a cheap older set till my game improves. 2. I stick with the current set and try and improve my game to what it was before 3. Get a new set and forget about the current set?

Puckoon

Only you can answer that! A little practice and I imagine you'd be back to your ball striking again, but then that's quite the injury you've had.

I love even people roll out the "drive for show, putt for dough" line. Being in play is the most important thing for a 20's/high teen handicapper to lower their handicap and post good scores. I've played three rounds since Monday. Monday I hit 13 fairways and all 3 par threes, and while my putter was cold, I posted a good 79.  Thursday and Friday I was a bit more eratic and probably averaged 9-10 fairways and 1 of the greens. Although I scrambled well around the greens, I posted 84, and 85.

Both fairways I missed on Monday had me taking three of the Tee and I double bogied both holes.

When you are a low teen handicapper, it's course management and the short game that will improve the scores.

Not sure why I'm posting this, I think I'm just mad at myself.

David McKeown

Quote from: Puckoon on August 20, 2011, 04:22:41 PM
Only you can answer that! A little practice and I imagine you'd be back to your ball striking again, but then that's quite the injury you've had.

I love even people roll out the "drive for show, putt for dough" line. Being in play is the most important thing for a 20's/high teen handicapper to lower their handicap and post good scores. I've played three rounds since Monday. Monday I hit 13 fairways and all 3 par threes, and while my putter was cold, I posted a good 79.  Thursday and Friday I was a bit more eratic and probably averaged 9-10 fairways and 1 of the greens. Although I scrambled well around the greens, I posted 84, and 85.

Both fairways I missed on Monday had me taking three of the Tee and I double bogied both holes.

When you are a low teen handicapper, it's course management and the short game that will improve the scores.

Not sure why I'm posting this, I think I'm just mad at myself.

Sounds worse than it was in fairness but ive broken thumb wrist and back in successive summers hence the game going to pot.  I remember around the time I got the 990's reading that they really were a low handicappers clubs but I could hit them well, now I hit them very inconsistently

Orior

Quote from: Orior on August 17, 2011, 09:01:47 PM
Treated myself to a new set of woods.

Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 driver, 3-wood and rescue, all custom fitted.

Need to pack a couple of fire extinguishers on Saturday cause I'm gonna burn the place up.

F*** c*** s**** f*** a*** h*** f*** c***. Back to the drawing board.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: Orior on August 20, 2011, 09:34:02 PM
Quote from: Orior on August 17, 2011, 09:01:47 PM
Treated myself to a new set of woods.

Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 driver, 3-wood and rescue, all custom fitted.

Need to pack a couple of fire extinguishers on Saturday cause I'm gonna burn the place up.

F*** c*** s**** f*** a*** h*** f*** c***. Back to the drawing board.
;D ;D ;D
Was it the new bows and arrows or the injun??

laoislad

Anyone heading up to Killeen Castle to have a gander at the chicks playing golf?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

JimStynes

I didnt realise how shit women pro golfers are  :o

Anyone know of any good golf shops in the north? Also, anyone know of good pros to go get some lessons off?

onefaircounty

Quote from: JimStynes on September 24, 2011, 11:03:49 AM
I didnt realise how shit women pro golfers are  :o

Anyone know of any good golf shops in the north? Also, anyone know of good pros to go get some lessons off?

It's certainly hit and miss, but some of it is very good. I thought the wee Yank was going to cry when she shanked into the water earlier. Good crowds at it.

There is a decent Golf shop in Newry, down Greenbank just past Pairc Esler. it has plenty of stock in it, but worth phoning ahead to make sure it is open. It's good stuff too.