Poll

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

Author Topic: Clerical abuse!  (Read 192853 times)

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
Re: Clerical abuse!
« Reply #2265 on: February 10, 2018, 02:10:26 PM »
I am no apologist for child abuse.Just pointing out that Sean Brady and the Church were lambasted for not informing the police.Sadly in this case the Police were informed but did nothing

And so Sean should have been lambasted and arrested for withholding information on a person who raped kids
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Dougal Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: February 10, 2018, 02:25:47 PM »
Don't know why you boys bother to argue with this nut job.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 02:35:48 PM by Dougal Maguire »
Careful now

longballin

• View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: February 10, 2018, 03:22:00 PM »
The term "nun arrested" suggests to me that the robust procedures are working.I also listened to a priest from Kerry on Joe Duffy recently describing how in recent years when an allegation (totally false as it turned out) was made against him the official Church disowned him immediately,leaving him very bitter but determined to carry on with his ministry and vocation.That's a far cry from mistakenly trying to protect the Church's reputation by trying to manage this vile phenomenon in house.

5:39am   wtf!!  something not right here  :o

Applesisapples

• View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: February 12, 2018, 10:21:25 AM »
I was in St Colaman's when Malachy Finnegan was principle, he was undoubtedly an alcoholic and rumours abounded about his fondness for boys. I took them at the time to be the sort of schoolboy innuendo that boys throw about. Though I have to say I am not surprised that there is substance to the rumours. I do believe though that John McAreavy is trying his best to deal with these issues. It is worth noting that Finnegan was not prosecuted but that the Church found evidence that there was substance to the accusations. I don't hold with Tony's view on the Church and how it has approached abuse, however they are belatedly trying to tackle what is increasingly becoming historic situations.

Gabriel_Hurl

• View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: February 12, 2018, 07:44:07 PM »

Dougal Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: February 13, 2018, 12:06:54 AM »
I have never condoned perverts masquerading as priests and hope they all rot in hell.I do not like anti catholics however accusing the Church of facilitating this and particularly blaming  Sean Brady for Brendan Smyth's existence. As we've seen recently with Oxfam today even organisations try stupidly to protect their reputation by keeping things in house.

I was at Mass in Lurgan on Saturday night and a letter was read out by the Bishop expressing his sincere apologies for Finnegan and his victims and pointed out all the contacts for reporting suspected child abuse today.I have no doubt of the sincerity of the remorse and determination to protect children at all times today
Bishop McAreavey seemed content to condone perverts masquerading as priests when he celebrated Malachy Finnegans funeral mass
Careful now

Applesisapples

• View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: February 13, 2018, 08:57:32 AM »
I have never condoned perverts masquerading as priests and hope they all rot in hell.I do not like anti catholics however accusing the Church of facilitating this and particularly blaming  Sean Brady for Brendan Smyth's existence. As we've seen recently with Oxfam today even organisations try stupidly to protect their reputation by keeping things in house.

I was at Mass in Lurgan on Saturday night and a letter was read out by the Bishop expressing his sincere apologies for Finnegan and his victims and pointed out all the contacts for reporting suspected child abuse today.I have no doubt of the sincerity of the remorse and determination to protect children at all times today
Bishop McAreavey seemed content to condone perverts masquerading as priests when he celebrated Malachy Finnegans funeral mass
He made a mistake and apologised, which is more by the way than Sean Brady has done. He also has a record of confronting abuse from clerics within his charge.

Owen Brannigan

• View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: February 13, 2018, 03:59:29 PM »

He made a mistake and apologised, which is more by the way than Sean Brady has done. He also has a record of confronting abuse from clerics within his charge.

Bishop John McAreavey is a company man and a canonical lawyer by training.  By his own admission he has taken the standard Church view of clerical abuse and not treated victims properly.  By his training, he believes that Canon Law trumps civil law every time and that there is no compulsion to report clerical abuse to the civil authorities to allow investigations and possible convictions or even to social care authorities who can ensure that such abusers are kept apart from vulnerable people.

This situation regarding the principal of a diocesan school and priest in the Catholic church is not the first occasion where he admits to failing with victims of clerical abuse by putting the reputation of the organisation above the care for the victim and the punishment of the abuser in civil law.

As reported in the Belfast Telegraph:

BY LIAM CLARKE
November 1 2013

Bishop Dr John McAreavey has admitted that he has failed many of his priests and that he has not always had the right attitude to the victims of clerical sexual abuse.

Asked if his primary response had been to protect the Church rather than the plight of the victim or survivor of abuse, he said: "There is no question of that. Yes. A number of times in the past year friends of mine have quoted back things to me I have said 10 or 15 years ago that they remember, that I have forgotten.

"It is no pride to me that I have made a long and difficult journey. I just didn't see this whole thing from the perspective of the victims."

Dr McAreavey made his comments in a frank interview with the Irish Catholic magazine conducted by Martin O'Brien, a leading Catholic commentator.

dec

• View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: February 13, 2018, 04:39:30 PM »
https://www.irishnews.com/news/2018/02/13/news/winter-olympic-boss-reveals-fr-malachy-finnegan-physical-abuse-1254520/

The leader of the Irish Winter Olympics team has spoken about his experience at the hands of a Co Down based priest later exposed as a child abuser. Co Down native Dominic McAleenan revealed that he was physically abused by former priest Fr Malachy Finnegan...

Mr McAleenan, who now lives in Sweden, is currently in South Korea with Team Ireland at the Winter Olympics. He has used Facebook to reveal how the former priest beat him viciously with a cane, hugged him during the sign of peace during Mass and asked questions about “impure thoughts”. The incidents all happened while he attended St Colman’s College before switching schools. He explained that on one occasion as a punishment for ringing a school bell the priest “slapped me across the face so my ear was ringing, dragged me into his office.

“He had a cupboard with double doors, he opened it and it was like something out of a sadomasochist horror story. “He had canes and straps and well anyway.” Mr McAleen says he was then struck by the cane wielding priest. “(The) first strike hit my thumb followed by another five and I can tell you they were brutal full force whacks and he looked f***ing possessed”. The 48-year-old said he was left with a sprained thumb and that after the cane attack the priest said “’let us offer each other the sign of peace’, he hugged me and my hands are still under my arms”.

longballin

• View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: February 13, 2018, 04:48:51 PM »
https://www.irishnews.com/news/2018/02/13/news/winter-olympic-boss-reveals-fr-malachy-finnegan-physical-abuse-1254520/

The leader of the Irish Winter Olympics team has spoken about his experience at the hands of a Co Down based priest later exposed as a child abuser. Co Down native Dominic McAleenan revealed that he was physically abused by former priest Fr Malachy Finnegan...

Mr McAleenan, who now lives in Sweden, is currently in South Korea with Team Ireland at the Winter Olympics. He has used Facebook to reveal how the former priest beat him viciously with a cane, hugged him during the sign of peace during Mass and asked questions about “impure thoughts”. The incidents all happened while he attended St Colman’s College before switching schools. He explained that on one occasion as a punishment for ringing a school bell the priest “slapped me across the face so my ear was ringing, dragged me into his office.

“He had a cupboard with double doors, he opened it and it was like something out of a sadomasochist horror story. “He had canes and straps and well anyway.” Mr McAleen says he was then struck by the cane wielding priest. “(The) first strike hit my thumb followed by another five and I can tell you they were brutal full force whacks and he looked f***ing possessed”. The 48-year-old said he was left with a sprained thumb and that after the cane attack the priest said “’let us offer each other the sign of peace’, he hugged me and my hands are still under my arms”.

There was so much of that went on, crazed priests, 'christian' brothers and lay teachers beating children

longballin

• View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: February 13, 2018, 10:47:41 PM »
Yer mates are on Spotlight Tony... more Catholic coverup

theskull1

• View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: February 13, 2018, 11:03:59 PM »
.... BBC bias ...... blah blah blah 
It’s a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: February 13, 2018, 11:07:55 PM »
This is grim. These cnuts make me sick as do those who covered up for them.

longballin

• View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: February 13, 2018, 11:08:12 PM »
McAreavey should be made to resign... and arrested
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:10:30 PM by longballin »

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: February 13, 2018, 11:18:35 PM »
McAreavey another weasel like Brady.