Author Topic: The Official UFC Thread  (Read 103171 times)

Smokin Joe

• View Profile
Re: The Official UFC Thread
« Reply #1410 on: April 23, 2018, 01:50:21 PM »
Saturday's co-main event between Frankie Edgar and Cub Swanson was a bit of a yawnfest; I was disappointed in it.

The Barboza v Lee fight was fun.  In Khabib and Lee Barboza is pretty unlucky to have come up against 2 great wrestlers in his last 2 fights; he took some damage in both of those fights.
Kevin Lee was lucky enough not to damage his his right foot as he did the "chicken dance" when his legs went after the spinning heel kick in the 3rd round.

The card, generally, was underwhelming but Dan Hooker showed again that he is something a bit different.

The Iceman

• Here comes the Pain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: April 23, 2018, 01:58:23 PM »
Holloway vs Ortega announced.

Really looking forward to that one.  Love both fighters, but I think Ortega is on a different level.

He's great but Holloway's volume gonna be too much for him.
You're overshooting a bit there Gs man with the "next level" label.
I agree with Gallsman here - Max is high pressure and will overwhelm Ortega who has not yet got the striking ability to stand for long with the champ.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: April 23, 2018, 02:43:19 PM »
Saturday's co-main event between Frankie Edgar and Cub Swanson was a bit of a yawnfest; I was disappointed in it.

Ah it was never going to be any different. Because he hasn't been a champ in so long and after his losses to Aldo and Ortega, people forget our overlook just how brilliant a fighter and wrestler Edgar is. Miles above Swanson, just like the first time around.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

The Gs Man

• View Profile
    • Captain Kennedy
« Reply #1413 on: April 23, 2018, 03:38:14 PM »
Holloway vs Ortega announced.

Really looking forward to that one.  Love both fighters, but I think Ortega is on a different level.

He's great but Holloway's volume gonna be too much for him.
You're overshooting a bit there Gs man with the "next level" label.
I agree with Gallsman here - Max is high pressure and will overwhelm Ortega who has not yet got the striking ability to stand for long with the champ.

Well, next level ju jitsu then... :-)  Don't think he'll stand too long with anyone!

That Kevin Lee chicken dance was some craic!
Phosporescent!

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: April 23, 2018, 04:26:08 PM »
I'll give Ortega one thing, his standup is way beyond what you can normally expect from someone with as good BJJ as him. KOing Frankie was no small feat.

Maybe the drugs helped.

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: April 23, 2018, 06:07:46 PM »
Greg Hardy is quietly talking part in a UFC challenger series event in his first pro MMA fight very soon. At least one fighter on each of those challenger series cards gets a UFC contract.

I think itís disgusting heís even getting this chance let alone so soon. White is getting seriously desperate to get stars that he thinks can draw with Brock Lesnarís new WWE contract all but confirming heíll be fighting in the UFC again and now this.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 11:44:15 PM by Syferus »

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: April 23, 2018, 06:38:43 PM »
In no way surprising. CM Punk getting a second fight and widely expected to get PPV points on it as well. The UFC is a TV show - sales and ratings are king.

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: April 23, 2018, 06:44:07 PM »
In no way surprising. CM Punk getting a second fight and widely expected to get PPV points on it as well. The UFC is a TV show - sales and ratings are king.

At least CM Punk isnít a drugs cheat or a woman beater.

Asal Mor

• View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: May 20, 2018, 09:04:36 PM »
I'm a week late with this but just watched nunes v Pennington, not having heard about the controversy around Pennington's corner not stopping the fight when asked by her at the end of the 4th. I see some UFC fighters have come out in defence of her corner but I can't see how. Her nose was badly busted and she was never going to turn the fight around. They sent her out for further battering and disfiguration which she duly got. I'm not usually squeamish about UFC but this was gruesome. Also thought the ref was way too slow to stop it. There was a red puddle under her by the time he called a halt.