Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OgraAnDun

Quote from: thewobbler on February 02, 2022, 12:37:48 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on February 02, 2022, 12:31:00 PM
Hot of the press
Kilcoo is appealing the sending off on Saturday and a delegation of high-ranking club officials will be in headquarters this weekend.

It's a shame for choc that he's missing, but it'll be yet another absolute stain on the GAA's disciplinary processes if an appeal is successful.

For if smacking a man in the jaw on national tv doesn't deserve a suspension, then we should just get rid of suspensions completely.

He's only got one person to blame!

Truth hurts

Hot of the press
Kilcoo is appealing the sending off on Saturday and a delegation of high-ranking club officials will be in headquarters this weekend.

It's a shame for choc that he's missing, but it'll be yet another absolute stain on the GAA's disciplinary processes if an appeal is successful.

For if smacking a man in the jaw on national tv doesn't deserve a suspension, then we should just get rid of suspensions completely.

It was not a smack in the jaw, it was a shoulder and as deets said the Barrs man was goading PD  when he was ready to hit the free which Choc did not approve of so he shouldered him.

DownFanatic

I've always liked our structure of 4 ACFL Divisions. We've a very strong league product in Down and this has been the case for quite some time now. Our Friday night programme of games have been the envy of other counties. We have always had a steady stream of fixtures laid out which has led to a meaningful competition with credibility.

We obviously need to get back to our structure for 2023. But looking at the 16 team Division 1 and the 18 team Division 2 that is proposed for 2022, I can only forsee a raft of mismatched games that will end in trouncings aligned to a lot of non fielding as we move into the final third of the season.

We operated the 3 ACFL Division model from 2013 to around 2015 and it highlighted big gaps in quality across a 16 team division. I've always liked the idea of something along the lines of 5 ACFL's, 1 - 5. Circa 8 teams in each with a few more in Division 5. Would give home and away fixtures (at least 14) with an additional playoff based system on top of that.

Leftmidfield

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 02, 2022, 01:19:45 PM
Hot of the press

It was not a smack in the jaw, it was a shoulder and as deets said the Barrs man was goading PD  when he was ready to hit the free which Choc did not approve of so he shouldered him.
From what I could see it was a shoulder to the chest that warranted a yellow. Linesman who was consulted by the ref could not have had a clear view

thewobbler

I saw different but I'm happy to admit I'm wrong if it's the case.

Interesting that tg4's highlights of the game include that the free was called back and thrown up, but doesn't show the actual incident.

ardtole

There is a whatts app of the incident doing the rounds, it was a yellow card offence and no more than that. David Gough the linesman has a tendancy to seek the limelight in my opinion.

Truth hurts

I have been one to call out Kilcoos antics in appealing things over the years especially the minor final a few years ago which was sickening, also appealed big Greenan's suspension from this year final when he was running around after Ballyholland lads like Captain America but I do not think Choc warrants a suspension. Absolute stupidity in his part for getting involved with the Barrs man but I do not think he should miss the final.

Down fanatic, would you be favour of a few reserve sides entering division 4?

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 02, 2022, 01:19:45 PM
Hot of the press

Which he had no need to do, and years of acting the big lad and getting away with it have led him to believe he could do that again. Stupidity of that level should be punished.

urbangael

Tg4 showed the incident. Choc shouldered the Barrs player. 100% he will get that overturned and rightly so. Co Board proposals for leagues will likely go though and will mean a lot of meaningless games half way into it.
Fear for our boys with Galway coming to town on sat night!

Johnnysboys

[/quote]

Goading a man ready to hit a free kick and Choc did not approve... Are you shitting me?? It was Kilcoo that started that shite in our county shouting and roaring when men are standing over a free and 3,4,5 men in close proximity to the kicker shouting like they are trying to organise men around them.. Didn't approve - don't make me laugh. Got taste of his own medicine. Red card is a red card - it should stand. But I still expect them to beat Crokes by 6+ points without him..

maldini

Is there promotion from 2 to 1 and 3 to 2 under the proposed new leagues? Or just relegation the other way?

It'll be another year where a lot of clubs aren't taking the league serious

Sandstorm

Do you think for one minute that Kilcoo don't take the league seriously? They blood the young lads in the league and that is why they are in the All Ireland final next week. Other teams need to follow their lead if they want to be successful. I wish my own club would.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Johnnysboys on February 02, 2022, 10:35:47 PM

Goading a man ready to hit a free kick and Choc did not approve... Are you shitting me?? It was Kilcoo that started that shite in our county shouting and roaring when men are standing over a free and 3,4,5 men in close proximity to the kicker shouting like they are trying to organise men around them.. Didn't approve - don't make me laugh. Got taste of his own medicine. Red card is a red card - it should stand. But I still expect them to beat Crokes by 6+ points without him..
[/quote]

LOL Say it how it is then  ;D

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Johnnysboys on February 02, 2022, 10:35:47 PM

[/quote]

Exactly, it's almost like some people are trying to paint him as a virtuous warrior who was standing up for sportsmanship. Acted outside of the rules, completely unnecessarily, against something his own club has been known for. Though maybe Moran has put the lid on that to a certain extent and increased the focus on their own game, and low and behold he got them to two all Ireland finals.... Wouldn't it be great for Down to have the senior club champions, even though I'm sure not everyone in the county would be a fan given past antics and reputations, it would surely motivate others to reach new levels in an attempt to beat them this year. I mean, there is no bigger scalp to claim in club football than knocking out the all Ireland champions in our championship.

Lecale Gael

There should only be junior bs in div 4 a and 4 b
The bigger clubs premier reserves shud be nowhere near the ACFl
Their thirds maybe

Ccc proposal is a disastrous quick fix. Wouldn't be in favour of it at all
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)