FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dire Ear

macdanger2

Maybe not the FAIs fault but they could have said that he's no longer eligible for the award as he no longer plays/qualifies for Ireland and just leave the award vacant for this year

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 13, 2019, 11:13:25 AM
Maybe not the FAIs fault but they could have said that he's no longer eligible for the award as he no longer plays/qualifies for Ireland and just leave the award vacant for this year

Then Delaney is pressuring the media...

GetOverTheBar

Giving Rice the award shows just how out of touch the FAI are. PR disaster and shows just how low the organisation is right now.

Has Irish football been lower in recent memory? Have to call right now it's lowest ebb in my lifetime > 30 years (just about!)

johnnycool

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 13, 2019, 12:07:15 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 13, 2019, 12:02:46 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 12, 2019, 10:19:23 PM
Quote from: general on March 12, 2019, 04:57:22 PM
FAI - Laughing Stock

Would you blame croke park for a ludicrous all star award?

You would if they gave it to someone who didn't play GAA

I remember Brian Whelahan winning Hurler of the year and not getting an All Star in 1994! How could that happen?

He played full forward in the final that year  ;)

I don't see the issue. The Journalists felt he was their young player of the year for 2018.
Why should that change now that he's decided to align himself with England.
Give the lad the award, he'll probably be more embarrassed than the FAI anyway and there's nothing the FAI can do or should do about it.

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnnycool on March 13, 2019, 11:28:57 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 13, 2019, 12:07:15 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 13, 2019, 12:02:46 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 12, 2019, 10:19:23 PM
Quote from: general on March 12, 2019, 04:57:22 PM
FAI - Laughing Stock

Would you blame croke park for a ludicrous all star award?

You would if they gave it to someone who didn't play GAA

I remember Brian Whelahan winning Hurler of the year and not getting an All Star in 1994! How could that happen?

He played full forward in the final that year  ;)

I don't see the issue. The Journalists felt he was their young player of the year for 2018.
Why should that change now that he's decided to align himself with England.
Give the lad the award, he'll probably be more embarrassed than the FAI anyway and there's nothing the FAI can do or should do about it.

He didn't. He played wing back all the way through in 1994. You're thinking of 1998, when he started wing back, but had the flu and got destroyed in the first half. He moved up full forward and won the game.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 13, 2019, 11:23:37 AM
Giving Rice the award shows just how out of touch the FAI are. PR disaster and shows just how low the organisation is right now.

Has Irish football been lower in recent memory? Have to call right now it's lowest ebb in my lifetime > 30 years (just about!)

We have established it has nothing to do with the FAI

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 13, 2019, 11:46:36 AM

Football writers voted for it, but it's an award of the association thus, what was the point of even humiliating themselves further, after the Birthday tweet fiasco.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 13, 2019, 01:00:37 PM

Football writers voted for it, but it's an award of the association thus, what was the point of even humiliating themselves further, after the Birthday tweet fiasco.

How could the FAI have avoided it?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 13, 2019, 01:18:58 PM

They could simply have said the football writers voted for Declan on the basis of his performances last year, however as an association we do not feel it is appropriate to give the award to someone who has declared for another country. As such the award will not have a recipient this year.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 13, 2019, 01:24:13 PM

They could simply have said the football writers voted for Declan on the basis of his performances last year, however as an association we do not feel it is appropriate to give the award to someone who has declared for another country. As such the award will not have a recipient this year.

Thats about the best tbey can do, but causes other problems?

Would you agree with the GAA vetoing a contentious all star?

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/mar/13/declan-rice-england-squad-gareth-southgate-euro-2020

Declan Rice has been named in England's squad for the Euro 2020 qualifiers against the Czech Republic and Montenegro after switching allegiance from the Republic of Ireland.

"His form warrants it," Gareth Southgate said of the West Ham player. "It's been a well-publicised situation with Declan. We've tracked him for quite a while ... His form has been excellent. We like what we see."
The England manager said he believed Rice could play as a midfielder or central defender and added of the 20-year-old: "There aren't many players of his age playing as well as he is in the Premier League."

Rice was the only new face in a squad that also includes Jadon Sancho and the goalkeeper Tom Heaton, who has been recalled after recovering from injury and regaining his place in the Burnley team.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

What has the above got to do with the FAI or Irish soccer?

NAG1

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 13, 2019, 02:44:38 PM
What has the above got to do with the FAI or Irish soccer?

Sure they are handing him out awards, I would say it has quite a bit to do with them.  :-[

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 13, 2019, 01:24:13 PM

Exactly this.