The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: Syferus on July 01, 2018, 09:23:09 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 01, 2018, 07:44:38 PM
Quote from: laoislad on July 01, 2018, 02:40:19 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 01, 2018, 02:23:17 PM
Everyone is apparently getting aggressive on poor syferus ;D nothing to do with the fact he pulls anyone up on anything they say even when they didn't say it and then gets defensive when pulled on it ;D

Ps is there any thread you don't pollute >:(
His definition of what aggressive is and what my definition of aggressive is couldn't be more different.
That's snowflakes for you though I suppose....

;D The definition of a snowflake who talks about irony in other posts and doesn't see that every post of his is loaded with it. The irony ;D

Spain the same old spain. Good up until final third. Very open tournament but still you couldn't see England near winning. Think colombia will beat them. France, uruguay, belgium in that order...

Using the word 'snowflake' with a straight face says more than enough about both of you that I don't need to add anything more.
We didn't ask you to add anything. That's your problem right there. You always think everyone wants to hear your opinion. No one does.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

Croatia can do better. Denmark are a very good team and well worth the 5-1 in BAC.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

gallsman

Quote from: longballin on July 01, 2018, 09:41:20 PM
Brian Kerr is some craic if you can get past that grating accent

He's an absolutely brilliant analyst. Knows the game inside out at all levels.

Syferus

I'm amazed Didi had the self-control not tell Maloney or Sadler to shut the fûck about U17s shïte. The rule of the keeper not coming off the line at all is so severe and hard to enforce because it involves two seperate actions that most referees exercise plenty of discretion, and rightly so. The rule should change to legalise minimal encroachment if only to shut up Brian Kerr.

BennyCake

Some difference in De Gea and Schmeichel in shoot outs. De Gea looked like a wee timid boy, never looked like saving anything.

I'd gladly swop them for United.

Capt Pat

Quote from: seafoid on July 01, 2018, 09:51:56 PM
Croatia can do better. Denmark are a very good team and well worth the 5-1 in BAC.

How did we lose that game 5-1 to that team and give up a hat trick to eriksen.

straightred

Quote from: Syferus on July 01, 2018, 10:00:03 PM
I'm amazed Didi had the self-control not tell Maloney or Sadler to shut the fûck about U17s shïte. The rule of the keeper not coming off the line at all is so severe and hard to enforce because it involves two seperate actions that most referees exercise plenty of discretion, and rightly so. The rule should change to legalise minimal encroachment if only to shut up Brian Kerr.

Thats your opinion but with respect it is completely irrelevant. The rule is there whether you agree with it or not and it wasn't enforced. Both russian saves should have been retaken as well. Kerr is 100% right. It was enforced against us in a lessor competition. Why not today ?

Syferus

Quote from: straightred on July 01, 2018, 10:44:44 PM

Thats your opinion but with respect it is completely irrelevant. The rule is there whether you agree with it or not and it wasn't enforced. Both russian saves should have been retaken as well. Kerr is 100% right. It was enforced against us in a lessor competition. Why not today ?

Kerr is right by a strict reading of the rule book, with little regard for how it being implemented would actually effect the game. It's telling that it was Kerr, Sadler and Maloney pushing that angle while the top level player in Didi had a very different take.

straightred

Quote from: Syferus on July 01, 2018, 10:55:24 PM

Kerr is right by a strict reading of the rule book, with little regard for how it being implemented would actually effect the game. It's telling that it was Kerr, Sadler and Maloney pushing that angle while the top level player in Didi had a very different take.

its the world cup. doesnt get any bigger and ref got it badly wrong. Its daft to try and argue otherwise. Should have sent the dane off as well for the foul. 2 awful non decisions in a minute - don't expect him to get any more games in this tournament

Syferus

Quote from: straightred on July 01, 2018, 10:59:35 PM

its the world cup. doesnt get any bigger and ref got it badly wrong. Its daft to try and argue otherwise. Should have sent the dane off as well for the foul. 2 awful non decisions in a minute - don't expect him to get any more games in this tournament

The foul for the penalty was a yellow at best. You seem like you come from the Byron Moreno school of refereeing.

sid waddell

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 01, 2018, 09:43:07 PM
Quote from: laoislad on July 01, 2018, 09:31:29 PM
Very poor. Schmeichel well off his line though. Will Modric have the balls to take one in the penalty shootout.
Disappointed with Croatia. Thought they would win this handy enough.
He did and scored fair play to him.
Modric's penalty in the shoot-out was worse than the one he had saved. He timidly hit it along the ground dead centre.

The Croatian goalkeeper was brilliant in the shoot-out, especially considering he dropped an almighty clanger in the first minute of the match.

Some strange penalty-taking choices from the Danes. Thought Poulsen and Sisto would have stepped up, likelweise Rebic for Croatia.

Croatia looked like the pressure got to them during the match itself - they hadn't got through a knock-out tie in a major finals since 1998, and it was a very lacklustre performance from them. But having got over the Danes from a situation where they looked the much less likely team going into the shoot-out, I think they now have the ability to step it up significantly against Russia and get to a semi-final.

Dougal Maguire

Hope you're right. I'll be in Croatia when the semi final takes place.
Careful now

gawa316

Quote from: BennyCake on July 01, 2018, 10:04:46 PM
Some difference in De Gea and Schmeichel in shoot outs. De Gea looked like a wee timid boy, never looked like saving anything.

I'd gladly swop them for United.

Has De Gea ever saved a pen? The fecker saves everything thrown at him in the EPL but jeez he was awful in the world cup

AQMP

Croatia got a slice of luck last night.  Both they and Spain show that if you don't really try to score you could be in trouble.  England will never have a better opportunity to win something.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Syferus on July 01, 2018, 11:02:44 PM
Quote from: straightred on July 01, 2018, 10:59:35 PM

The foul for the penalty was a yellow at best. You seem like you come from the Byron Moreno school of refereeing.

Bull. The Danish defender may have thought I'll try and make it look like a genuine attempt at getting the ball. However he was tackling wrong side so never getting it. Red.