The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Insane Bolt on June 30, 2018, 09:11:15 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 30, 2018, 09:08:11 PM
He wasn't putting the boot in at all.

Oh right....'big loser' is a compliment 😳

No, he was saying loser in the sense of he was losing out, by virtue of the fact that, you know, he's one of the best players in history and was about to lose what is likely his last chance at a world cup. Get it?

Insane Bolt

Quote from: gallsman on June 30, 2018, 09:15:01 PM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on June 30, 2018, 09:11:15 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 30, 2018, 09:08:11 PM
He wasn't putting the boot in at all.

Oh right....'big loser' is a compliment 😳

No, he was saying loser in the sense of he was losing out, by virtue of the fact that, you know, he's one of the best players in history and was about to lose what is likely his last chance at a world cup. Get it?

Ok Ted

Wildweasel74

Ronaldo didnt touch leather the nite! Still think  Maradona way ahead of him and Messi

seafoid

Uruguay  are like Cavan. They won their titles between1930 and 1955. Ages ago.
And Uruguay have a player called CavanI. Amazing
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 30, 2018, 09:42:02 PM
Ronaldo didnt touch leather the nite! Still think  Maradona way ahead of him and Messi

Agreed.

Boycey

I think it depends on your age, I'd be very much in the Maradona camp too but would respect people's opinion of including Messi and Ronaldo into the debate.

Maradona was a Street fighter, still is  :), in a way neither of those guys ever had to be.

Syferus

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 30, 2018, 09:42:02 PM

Yeah, ok old man.

gallsman

Quote from: Boycey on June 30, 2018, 10:27:31 PM
I think it depends on your age, I'd be very much in the Maradona camp too but would respect people's opinion of including Messi and Ronaldo into the debate.

Maradona was a Street fighter, still is  :), in a way neither of those guys ever had to be.

Disagree. Ronaldo grew up dirt poor. Messi had to play against lads twice his size. They've both overcome plenty. It's just the pro game these days is barely recognisable from the one Maradona played.

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on June 30, 2018, 10:37:51 PM

Disagree. Ronaldo grew up dirt poor. Messi had to play against lads twice his size. They've both overcome plenty. It's just the pro hadn't these days is barely recognisable from the one Maradona played.

If anyone thinks Maradonna's personal indisapline would allow him to be a great player in the modern era they're fooling themselves. Messi and particularly Ronaldo are obsessive in their preparation in a way Maradona never had the sense to be.

Nanderson

I don't get the whole Maradona hype. I know he basically won the world cup on his own in 86 which was probably his best season in his peak, but comparing that to what Messi did in 2012 is ridiculous. I mean 91 goals in 69 games and probably 30+ assists. Those numbers will probably never be seen in my lifetime again. If I were to rank them I'd go 1. Messi 2. Pele 3. Cristiano Ronaldo. 4. Maradona 5. George Best

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on June 30, 2018, 10:40:20 PM

Disagree. Ronaldo grew up dirt poor. Messi had to play against lads twice his size. They've both overcome plenty. It's just the pro hadn't these days is barely recognisable from the one Maradona played.

If anyone thinks Maradonna's personal indisapline would allow him to be a great player in the modern era they're fooling themselves. Messi and particularly Ronaldo are obsessive in their preparation in a way Maradona never had the sense to be.

Again, nobody has suggested that. You're in a roll tonight.

Of course he wouldn't get away with his indiscipline in today's game. Then again, if he was around for this era, maybe he'd be more disciplined.

Boycey

I was talking more in football terms than life, I'm aware of where both Ronaldo and Messi came from but Maradona played in an era when assault on 'fancy dans' was legal. Actually I don't think either of the boyos are soft by any means.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/may/19/maradona-argentina-mexico-football-outlaw-age

I'm sure you remember this tackle but I'll link it anyways https://youtu.be/CaEbB78GLyA

And Maradona getting his own back at a later date.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1xwd0o

mrdeeds

Messi and Ronaldo haven't scored a WC knockout goal??

longballin

Quote from: Nanderson on June 30, 2018, 10:40:47 PM

I don't get the whole Maradona hype. I know he basically won the world cup on his own in 86 which was probably his best season in his peak, but comparing that to what Messi did in 2012 is ridiculous. I mean 91 goals in 69 games and probably 30+ assists. Those numbers will probably never be seen in my lifetime again. If I were to rank them I'd go 1. Messi 2. Pele 3. Cristiano Ronaldo. 4. Maradona 5. George Best

At World level Messi has not been able to pruduce the goods like Maradonna and Pele. Pele 1 Maradona 2 Messi 3

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on June 30, 2018, 10:47:36 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 30, 2018, 10:40:20 PM

Again, nobody has suggested that. You're in a roll tonight.

Of course he wouldn't get away with his indiscipline in today's game. Then again, if he was around for this era, maybe he'd be more disciplined.

Did I say that? You fall over yourself to make an ass out of yourself sometimes. Try being less aggressive.