The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Fifa have opened a disciplinary procedure against Xhaka and Shakiri after their  political gestures on Friday .

Die FIFA hat ein Disziplinarverfahren gegen Granit Xhaka und Xherdan Shaqiri eröffnet. Grund dafür ist der Jubel der beiden Schweizer Nationalspieler im Spiel gegen Serbien. Auch Serbien-Coach Mladen Krstajic hat Ärger am Hals.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Jaysus, that Panama team are dung.

Syferus

England's inevitable flop is going to be extra sweet this year.

shark

Quote from: BennyCake on June 24, 2018, 01:46:25 PM
Jaysus, that Panama team are dung.

Imagine the shit that's going to qualify for 2026 with 9 additional non European teams.

shark

Quote from: Syferus on June 24, 2018, 01:48:02 PM

What do you reckon constitutes a flop for them? I reckon 1/4 final is par. And most of what I've read in English media realises that. I wouldn't take the BBC studio as the pulse of their nation. Just like I wouldn't do it for Brexit  :P

imtommygunn

Every corner should pretty much translate to a penalty based on the first half.

Syferus

Quote from: shark on June 24, 2018, 01:50:52 PM

What do you reckon constitutes a flop for them? I reckon 1/4 final is par. And most of what I've read in English media realises that. I wouldn't take the BBC studio as the pulse of their nation. Just like I wouldn't do it for Brexit  :P

Last 16/QF and being well beaten is always a flop for the hype England generate. After these two scoreines and, who knows, maybe a draw against a disinterested Belgian team, the hype will hit maximum overdrive. Which is why losing to a Poland or Columbia will be so deflating. It's beautiful to watch.

shark

Quote from: Syferus on June 24, 2018, 02:04:06 PM
Quote from: shark on June 24, 2018, 01:50:52 PM

Last 16/QF and being well beaten is always a flop for the hype England generate. After these two scoreines and, who knows, maybe a draw against a disinterested Belgian team, the hype will hit maximum overdrive. Which is why losing to a Poland or Columbia will be so deflating. It's beautiful to watch.

Losing to Poland or Colombia would certainly be a flop, agree with you there. Simply because their quality means they should do better than that. Not so sure a 1/4 final defeat to a top quality team would be though. The players don't generate the hype. Don't see them getting beyond the 1/4. And don't think they'll get a point off Belgium either.

Jell 0 Biafra

I'd fancy either Colombia  to beat England tbh. Poland maybe, if they get their act together after the last day.

Captain Obvious

Well done to Panama drew that 2nd half 1-1 against the World champions elect.

Syferus

Damo has been pretty good on the panel since he came on board.

Stan Laurel

I hope England win it - mainly to annoy the soccer heads who refer to Man U, Liverpool etc as their team, but where their team mates are playing in white they hate them.  ::)

Syferus

Quote from: Stan Laurel on June 24, 2018, 04:26:43 PM
I hope England win it - mainly to annoy the soccer heads who refer to Man U, Liverpool etc as their team, but where their team mates are playing in white they hate them.  ::)

I'm sure you're a Sligo Rovers season ticket holder yourself alright.

Stan Laurel

Quote from: Syferus on June 24, 2018, 04:37:11 PM
Quote from: Stan Laurel on June 24, 2018, 04:26:43 PM

I'm sure you're a Sligo Rovers season ticket holder yourself alright.

No I don't "support" any soccer team, 90 minutes 0-0 with multi millionaires lying down when someone looks at them is not my idea of a sport!

Syferus

This Japanese team are fun to watch.