The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: seafoid on June 19, 2018, 01:02:27 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 19, 2018, 12:56:59 PM
Only 2 teams have won a World cup outside of their own continent. Brazil and Spain (South Africa 2010)
Brazil don't look like a team that can do it. So it will be a European team. My money is on the Ze Germans. Or Belgium. Or England. No sorry definitely not England.
Germany 2014 too

Yes of course, sorry. Point still stands it's very difficult to look outside of the 2 or 3 big teams. Germany, Spain, Brazil.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: trailer on June 19, 2018, 01:06:21 PM
Only 2 teams have won a World cup outside of their own continent. Brazil and Spain (South Africa 2010)
Brazil don't look like a team that can do it. So it will be a European team. My money is on the Ze Germans. Or Belgium. Or England. No sorry definitely not England.
Germany 2014 too

Yes of course, sorry. Point still stands it's very difficult to look outside of the 2 or 3 big teams. Germany, Spain, Brazil.

After Cameroon 1990 wasnt an African team supposed to have won by now. The fact that Tunisia are the best team from the continent is rather worrying as they offered zip and should have been spanked about 5-0. If anything Africa has gone backwards after 28 yrs.
Germany may not even get out of the group. Can see Sweden winning 1-0 by scoring from a free kick or corner. Brazil and Argentina were poor so its there for the taking. As I said earlier England have a chance but expect them to go out on penalties in QF as usual to someone like Portugal.

BennyCake

Not France. Deschamps is a dose.

It's still Germany for me, then Brazil, Spain or Portugal.

Just don't think Argentina or Uruguay have it in them, even with Messi and Suarez.

Kurtz

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on June 19, 2018, 01:31:32 PM
Germany 2014 too

After Cameroon 1990 wasnt an African team supposed to have won by now. The fact that Tunisia are the best team from the continent is rather worrying as they offered zip and should have been spanked about 5-0. If anything Africa has gone backwards after 28 yrs.
Germany may not even get out of the group. Can see Sweden winning 1-0 by scoring from a free kick or corner. Brazil and Argentina were poor so its there for the taking. As I said earlier England have a chance but expect them to go out on penalties in QF as usual to someone like Portugal.

I used to play in a league in London when I worked there
There was a Nigerian Team. Seriously gifted and athletic lads
They would play like Brazil for 30 minutes and then indiscipline and bad mistakes creep in.
leading them to lose the game.  By the end of the game they'd be fighting with themselves.
One guy even chased his team mate with a football boot at the final whistle
They had a reputation for starting strong and then falling apart

seafoid

Germany 2014 too

The Chermans are hardly going to win back to back world cups in fairness. Not even the Dubs could do that.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Kurtz on June 19, 2018, 02:19:04 PM
Germany 2014 too

I used to play in a league in London when I worked there
There was a Nigerian Team. Seriously gifted and athletic lads
They would play like Brazil for 30 minutes and then indiscipline and bad mistakes creep in.
leading them to lose the game.  By the end of the game they'd be fighting with themselves.
One guy even chased his team mate with a football boot at the final whistle
They had a reputation for starting strong and then falling apart

Given your username Where you thinking to yourself " The Horror, the Horror"
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

sid waddell

As I said earlier England have a chance but expect them to go out on penalties in QF as usual to someone like Portugal.
England can't meet Portugal before the semis.

The semis will be two teams from Groups A to D and two teams from Groups E to H.

So it's impossible to have, say, all three of Brazil, Germany and England in the semis.

AQMP

Quote from: sid waddell on June 19, 2018, 03:48:56 PM
As I said earlier England have a chance but expect them to go out on penalties in QF as usual to someone like Portugal.

The semis will be two teams from Groups A to D and two teams from Groups E to H.

So it's impossible to have, say, all three of Brazil, Germany and England in the semis.

I think I'm right in saying that if Brazil win their group and Germany finish 2nd in theirs, which is very possible at the moment, then Brazil and Germany would meet in the last 16.

sid waddell

Quote from: AQMP on June 19, 2018, 05:01:02 PM

I think I'm right in saying that if Brazil win their group and Germany finish 2nd in theirs, which is very possible at the moment, then Brazil and Germany would meet in the last 16.
All last 16 clashes are between teams in adjacent groups, ie. A1 v B2, B1 v A2, C1 v D2 and so on.

SHEEDY

Quote from: AQMP on June 19, 2018, 05:01:02 PM

its also possible at the minute that we could see france v argentina in the last 16.
nil satis nisi optimum

Captain Obvious

Milltown Row2

Salah should be sold now! He's struggling
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Syferus

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

dec

Russia are officially the lowest ranked team in the tournament but because they didn't have to qualify they have only played friendlies for the last two years which keeps their rating down.