The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 16, 2018, 07:32:17 AM
Without having to think too hard did he not create the penalty, and did he not also,very unselfishly, hand a certain goal on a plate to a team mate, who missed it? I don't particularly like him, but to try and pick holes in his performance last night is pure nonsense in my opinion.

How is it nonsense? In the buildup to Spain's third, he was involved in giving the ball away and literally stopped playing because he was huffing even though three Spanish lads were passing it around him very closely.

He was absolutely Portugal's saviour but that doesn't mean everything he did on the pitch was perfect.

imtommygunn

Quote from: lenny on June 16, 2018, 07:49:49 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 16, 2018, 06:51:43 AM
Funny, I get the plaudits but Ronaldo was poor in open play, scored a pen, a fluke and a peach of a free kick. Spain were the better side and definitely have more balance to them. That strike  :o

The World Cup, although played by professional athletes is probably the most amateur of all sporting  competitions.

lol, he also won the penalty and the free kick that he scored. Maybe you missed that.

He made a very unselfish pass in the first half when through which should have been a goal too. Great pass and to be honest i was a bit shocked to see it.

Boycey

Quote from: gallsman on June 16, 2018, 07:58:20 AM
Without having to think too hard did he not create the penalty, and did he not also,very unselfishly, hand a certain goal on a plate to a team mate, who missed it? I don't particularly like him, but to try and pick holes in his performance last night is pure nonsense in my opinion.

How is it nonsense? In the buildup to Spain's third, he was involved in giving the ball away and literally stopped playing because he was huffing even though three Spanish lads were passing it around him very closely.

He was absolutely Portugal's saviour but that doesn't mean everything he did on the pitch was perfect.

If he's arguing the point that Ronaldo was poor in open play it is nonsense cause he just wasn't..  :)

Dougal Maguire

I didn't say everything he did on the pitch was perfect, did I? I said the comment that he was poor in open play was nonsense.
Careful now

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Boycey on June 16, 2018, 09:09:22 AM

If he's arguing the point that Ronaldo was poor in open play it is nonsense cause he just wasn't..  :)

He was shit off the ball but people see what they are told to see.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

Milltown Row2

Most forwards are shit off the ball! they are paid to score goals! Scoring 3 against Spain who in most parts dominated the game is some going for an aging hasbeen....

The problem is Ronaldo is like marmite..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 16, 2018, 09:44:45 AM
Give some examples

The time he huffed and just refused to play even though the ball was two yards from him, ultimately leasing to the Nacho goal...

Gold

IMO...dived for the pen. Like if we are all honest he threw himself over the leg, he wasnt kicked to the floor
Was lucky for 2nd goal
Stropped
Dived for the free kick....like actually was not even touched yet no one has said a word about it on TV or elsewhere
His free kick was unbelievable

I saw him v Las Palmas in November.  Real won 3 nil but he didn't score. He tried to shoot from everywhere, stropped about and at final whistle ran off 1st...raging. Ramos on tv after said you cant speak to him if he doesn't score...its all about him

Huge ego and hence he is like marmite
A tool for me but his last goal was unreal under that pressure. He absolutely bought the pen and free kick imo...that is a skill in itself

Spain were unbelievably good at times. That carousel passing was a joy. Like Matadors at times
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

mrdeeds

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: gallsman on June 16, 2018, 10:16:37 AM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 16, 2018, 09:44:45 AM
Give some examples

The time he huffed and just refused to play even though the ball was two yards from him, ultimately leasing to the Nacho goal...
You already gave that example. Are there any others you have that demonstrate that the suggestion that 'he was poor from open play' isn't nonsense
Careful now

Boycey

What a crowd of try hard cnuts  ;D

Nobody's asking you to worship at the altar of Ronaldo just acknowledge that he played reasonably well last night.. in open play Isco, Silva were the best on the pitch but Ronaldo was easily Portugal's best player especially in the 1st half. Also Spain are a significantly better team than Portugal, who are below England in the betting ffs, so of course they were better.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

Portugal might be worth a punt. They are not the best squad . They weren't at the Euros either. And they won. It is a tournament rather than a league.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/world-cup-2018/2018/0615/970888-hat-trick-hero-ronaldo-looking-to-the-next-match/

We have to look to the next match now because our goal is to win," Ronaldo said.

"We have to take it match by match and move on through the group stage.

"We are not the favourites but we will do our best and try to beat Morocco on Wednesday.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Over the Bar

Quote from: Boycey on June 16, 2018, 10:47:17 AM
What a crowd of try hard cnuts  ;D

Nobody's asking you to worship at the altar of Ronaldo just acknowledge that he played reasonably well last night.. in open play Isco, Silva were the best on the pitch but Ronaldo was easily Portugal's best player especially in the 1st half. Also Spain are a significantly better team than Portugal, who are below England in the betting ffs, so of course they were better.

Surprised we haven't heard Salah's name yet and suggestions he is as good as Ronaldo. lol