Ulster Club SFC 2016

Started by WT4E, September 27, 2016, 10:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhailov

Quote from: jp2020 on November 14, 2016, 03:35:43 PM
All this talk of who has the best championship is futile to be honest! Of the past 20 senior club championships something like 17 have been won by eithor Armagh (ie Cross) or Derry teams, that stat is enough to say Tyrone teams just aren't good enough when they come out of Tyrone, but the same can also be said about Cavan, Donegal, Down etc!

I cant see any team in Tyrone making that breakthrough anytime soon, too many teams at the same sort of level.

To be fair, that is the real reason. There is no stand-out club in Tyrone at present like in Armagh, Monaghan or Derry. 10-15 years ago possibly you could have said Errigal but they have faded off the scene in recent seasons. The standard is very consistent but it is still below the top level in Ulster - Tyrone teams have to fit in a championship in 6 weeks in recent years and as someone previously said any one of 9 could win so they all give it their best to try and win it and are physically and mentally finished by the time the Ulster comes along - this is not an excuse, just reality. However, certainly going by reports nobody in Tyrone is at the level of Slaughtneil or Kilcoo it appears and that cannot be denied. Certainly they may beat them in a one-off game but they cannot sustain that level of performance to win 3 big games in a row against that level of opponent which is what is required if you want to win Ulster...

it could be a few years before there is a dominant team in Tyrone again and longer before there maybe a provincial winner.

as regards the reason why they are very strong at IFC and JFC level - I honestly cannot explain that, as those both 2 championships are very competitive also in the same way as the senior but for some strange reason they fare much better when in the Ulster series at IFC and JFC level.

mrdeeds

In Cavan we have had five different winners the last five years but none have made an impression. It's years since we had a team in final. However Ramor who won this year had 10 u21s so expect them to challenge. Unlucky this year with full two of their better players injured for Maghery, then a black card to two vital players plus a corner back injured in warm up.

Ethan Tremblay

Beg my ignorance, but is the point of each county championship not to determine the best team in that county at knockout football? Therefore the best selected team would go on as representatives of their county in the provincial club championship to determine the best team in the province?
If the Tyrone championship is superior to the rest, surly their county champions would have more of an impact in the ulster series than they have? Surly the tougher run of games will stand to them better?   
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on November 14, 2016, 05:18:56 PM
If the Tyrone championship is superior to the rest

Urgh. F**k me.

I'm not a Tyrone man, but even I'll step in to defend what was said at this point to try and stop this pointless bullsh!te.

The fact that more teams can realistically win it and each team has to play nearer 100% of their potential on any given day to win in it doesn't mean its of a higher standard than another county's championship.

Swap out "more competitive" for "more evenly balanced" if it makes you sleep better at night.

(At no point did anyone say the Tyrone SFC was superior to that in any other county)
i usse an speelchekor

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: DennistheMenace on November 14, 2016, 12:18:59 PM
Tyrone Championship might be competitive but it isn't as good a standard as Derry.

There's only two sides in Derry at the minute, Ballinderry and Slaughtneil has been the de facto final for the last number of years.

Il Bomber Destro

Beg my ignorance, but is the point of each county championship not to determine the best team in that county at knockout football? Therefore the best selected team would go on as representatives of their county in the provincial club championship to determine the best team in the province?
If the Tyrone championship is superior to the rest, surly their county champions would have more of an impact in the ulster series than they have? Surly the tougher run of games will stand to them better?

One championship can return 7 different winner in 7 years while it's the same faces coming out of Derry/Armagh/Down/Monaghan for the most part.

No Tyrone club would be in the top 5 club sides in Ulster but I don't think you'd find 7/8 club sides in any of the aforementioned counties who could hold their own like sides from Tyrone do. Look at Maghery getting a 13 point tanking yesterday. The county champions are not an overall measure of the quality of their respective championships as some here are inferring - the fact that these clubs are winning multiple titles on the trot would suggest that the quality of those championships may not be all they are proclaimed to be.

Throw ball

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 14, 2016, 06:39:30 PM

One championship can return 7 different winner in 7 years while it's the same faces coming out of Derry/Armagh/Down/Monaghan for the most part.

No Tyrone club would be in the top 5 club sides in Ulster but I don't think you'd find 7/8 club sides in any of the aforementioned counties who could hold their own like sides from Tyrone do. Look at Maghery getting a 13 point tanking yesterday. The county champions are not an overall measure of the quality of their respective championships as some here are inferring - the fact that these clubs are winning multiple titles on the trot would suggest that the quality of those championships may not be all they are proclaimed to be.

If Maghery had have played with everyone behind the ball like Killyclogher the match would have been much closer.

JoG2

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 14, 2016, 06:14:16 PM

Urgh. F**k me.

I'm not a Tyrone man, but even I'll step in to defend what was said at this point to try and stop this pointless bullsh!te.

The fact that more teams can realistically win it and each team has to play nearer 100% of their potential on any given day to win in it doesn't mean its of a higher standard than another county's championship.

Swap out "more competitive" for "more evenly balanced" if it makes you sleep better at night.

(At no point did anyone say the Tyrone SFC was superior to that in any other county)

Did someone not famously say 9 Tyrone teams could win Ulster... Now what other county could boast something similar?

general_lee

did Coalisland not get humped by 14 points in the uber competitive Tyrone final?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: JoG2 on November 14, 2016, 07:25:32 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 14, 2016, 06:14:16 PM

Urgh. F**k me.

Did someone not famously say 9 Tyrone teams could win Ulster... Now what other county could boast something similar?

Nobody said that, you must have a vivid imagination.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: general_lee on November 14, 2016, 07:36:04 PM
did Coalisland not get humped by 14 points in the uber competitive Tyrone final?

In a replay.

Maiden1

Burren have beaten Kilcoo in last 2 years in championship then got knocked out narrowly by Kilcoo when Kilcoo qualified through back door.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Throw ball on November 14, 2016, 07:19:26 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 14, 2016, 06:39:30 PM

If Maghery had have played with everyone behind the ball like Killyclogher the match would have been much closer.

Ifs, buts and maybes.

Maghery took a tanking.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Maiden1 on November 14, 2016, 07:58:15 PM
Burren have beaten Kilcoo in last 2 years in championship then got knocked out narrowly by Kilcoo when Kilcoo qualified through back door.

Kilcoo have won 5 Down titles on the trot.

Il Bomber Destro

In fact Kilcoo have won their last 5 Down titles by a combined total of 35 points.