Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Quote from: andunabu on December 12, 2007, 10:33:44 AM
Quote from: 5iveTimes on December 04, 2007, 05:30:04 PM
Quote from: Leo on December 04, 2007, 05:16:14 PM
Neil collins may be fresh in your mind but McKay was definitely better but Slim Donnan was best.

Although I dont remember McKay playing, I have heard many stories so I cannot really make a comment on him, but I clearly remember both Pat Donnan and Neil Collins and Collins was a better keeper in every way. I said in an earlier post that Collins will be mostly remembered for that penalty save, although he made many excellent saves besides that one, for me Donnan will only be remembered for that goal in `86.
Neil Collins has to be the all time Down No. 1.

Sorry lads, couldnt get logged on for ages. 

Have to totally disagree.  Collins was an excellent but also the luckiest keeper in that era.  In my opinion the 4 best goalies in the late 80s early 90s were Neil Patterson (Bosco), Eamonn Connolly (Warrenpoint) Paddy Kielty (Dundrum),& Declan Murdock (Burren).  All agile, great shot stoppers and above all super kick outs with direction.  Collins' kickouts weren't in their league.  I watched 91 final before the Rugby World Cup final on TG4, some of the kickouts weren't good. :o

PS I am not An Duin Abu (i'm the original)

Can't comment on Murdock, but Patterson was certainly better than the other two and far better than Collins who was IMO a fairly average keeper. Connolly got a few runs for the Down senior team (sub keeper in 94), but unfortunately for him, choose to have off-days on such occasions. Kielty is a better comedian and tv host than he ever was a goalkeeper. Read into that what you will. Patterson is very unlucky not to have two All-Ireland medals.

Quote from: goldenyears on December 13, 2007, 10:18:56 AM
stephen kearney is a huge boost for saval for next season; a quality player that will now shine at the right level.

A particular bone of contention for me are such transfers. I can't see the moral justification for such a transfer to go through. Such transfers are prevalent in Antrim and show a lack of the loyalty that is so important in the GAA. I know a lot of people even within the Saval club are not happy with this transfer going through - Kearney isn't transferring for Saval's benefit - it is to enhance his own inter-county career.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Lecale2

What's the story with Ballykinlar? I hear they have called an extra-ordinary general meetting.
I know they've been struggling the last few years with so many lads in Iraq and Afganistan but surely they aren't going to fold or amalgamate with Dundrum?

DownFanatic

That EGM was nothing to do wif Ballykinlar folding or amalgamating wif Dundrum. I am 100% certain about that.

Pangurban

Theres little danger of Dundrum accepting them

umpire

Ulster Minor club football championship today's result.
Wins for Errigal and Rostrevor

DownFanatic

Burren beat Bryansford by 10 points in the Down U-20 Final today in Dunavil.

downredblack

What did you make of the Down panel for the McKenna cup ?

Lecale2

New managers - Jody Gormley will be taking Bredagh footballers next season and former Antrim & Down manager, Sean McGuinness is taking the hurlers.

spiritof91and94

Senior challenge; Down v Armagh - Tuesday night in Newcastle.

The Corporal

Where can you see the panel for the Mckenna Cup downredblack??

downredblack

I seen it in the Gaelic life , I'll stick it up tomorrow if no one posts it in the mean time .

the milkman

Anyone know wat time the game in Newcastle is at?

saffron sam2

Quote from: 5iveTimes on December 16, 2007, 06:49:43 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 14, 2007, 09:20:53 PM

Can't comment on Murdock, but Patterson was certainly better than the other two and far better than Collins who was IMO a fairly average keeper.

Fairly average keepers dont win two All Irelands.

Ah, that old chestnut.  Footballing ability is directly proportional to the number of All-Ireland medals you win. Thanks for your contribution.

Who is the better keeper in your mind, Collins or Mickey McVeigh? No hurry with your answer. :)
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Pangurban

Sorry to intrude on a private dispute lads, just wanted to cast a vote for M. Mc Veigh

downredblack

Down panel for McKenna Cup taken from the GL.

Bernard Connell , Martin Cole , Declan Alder , Liam Doyle , Conor Gribben ,
Gerry McArdle , Dan McCartan , John McCarthy , Paul Murphy ,Ciaran McGovern ,
Darren O'Hanlon , Damien Rafferty , Martin Rafferty , Brendan Rooney ,
Damien Turley , Dan Gordan , Benny Coulter , Danny Hughes , Ambrose Rodgers ,
John McAreavey , Kevin McKernan , Ronan Sexton , Ryan Straney , John Fegan ,
Ronan Murtagh , Stephen Kearney , Jack Lynch , Kevin McGuigan , Brian Sweeney,
Declan Rooney , Peter Turley .