What is the fastest ball sport?

Started by Maroon Heaven, August 24, 2009, 10:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maiden1

A baseball field generally measure 99 meters or more from plate to fence which means that a player would need to hit the ball at least 99 meters in the air to hit a home run, 99 meters is a longer distance than than most people can hit a hurling ball, the greater the distance the greater the speed needed to clear that distance so a baseball being hit for a home run would be travelling faster than most hurling balls.  A pro golfer can hit a golf ball 300 yards plus so a golf ball is travelling much faster than a baseball or a hurling ball.  I always heard hurling was the 2nd fastest field sport after ice hockey.  Not sure how they would calculate or whether they would count baseball as a field sport in that it is 1 player hitting against 8 outfield players.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Gnevin

Quote from: Maiden1 on August 24, 2009, 01:29:14 PM
A baseball field generally measure 99 meters or more from plate to fence which means that a player would need to hit the ball at least 99 meters in the air to hit a home run, 99 meters is a longer distance than than most people can hit a hurling ball, the greater the distance the greater the speed needed to clear that distance so a baseball being hit for a home run would be travelling faster than most hurling balls.  A pro golfer can hit a golf ball 300 yards plus so a golf ball is travelling much faster than a baseball or a hurling ball.  I always heard hurling was the 2nd fastest field sport after ice hockey.  Not sure how they would calculate or whether they would count baseball as a field sport in that it is 1 player hitting against 8 outfield players.

Your forgetting mass ,aero dynamics and trajectory 
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Maroon Heaven

We ned to get one of those big speed guns and get some hurler to clock a time.

Just because Tiger woods is good at golf does not make hit the golf ball hardest. We need some tank of a hurler who would be able to take out a small extension with a poc

the colonel

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on August 24, 2009, 11:43:37 AM
Quote from: the colonel on August 24, 2009, 10:52:48 AM
Quote from: Maroon Heaven on August 24, 2009, 10:50:18 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 24, 2009, 10:26:53 AM
Hang on. That's the fastest the ball moves at. That's not what people mean when they say hurling is the fastest field game. They mean the speed the ball moves around the pitch, the speed the players move at etc etc.

AZ - I know all about the idea that Hurling is the fastest team sport.

Someone back in Feb had mentioned about the speed a Hurling ball can get to. I merely asked if anyone had recorded a speed for it.

If Baseball is at 127 - I'd imagine a Sliotar would travel faster.

I would love to see someone who could hit 127 but one of the best strikers of a ball in antrim was going full pelt to hit it around 105. I couldn't see a jump of over 20mph

Was this clocked Colonel???

yeah it was in cushendall and was clocked with one of those laser gun type yokes
the difference between success and failure is energy

Maiden1

Quote from: Gnevin on August 24, 2009, 02:04:09 PM

No i'm just saying a baseball travels further than a sloither so therefore the speed has to be greater.  The fact that a hurling ball has more air resistance than a baseball is a fact which contributes to it's overall velocity.

Someone in Antrim hitting a ball at 105 mph sounds about right if the speed of a baseball is 127 mph.  A good goalkeeper would do well to hit a hurling ball 90 meters.

Gnevin

Quote from: Maiden1 on August 24, 2009, 02:26:42 PM

No i'm just saying a baseball travels further than a sloither so therefore the speed has to be greater.  The fact that a hurling ball has more air resistance than a baseball is a fact which contributes to it's overall velocity.

Someone in Antrim hitting a ball at 105 mph sounds about right if the speed of a baseball is 127 mph.  A good goalkeeper would do well to hit a hurling ball 90 meters.
A baseball hit 90 degrees in the air will not go very far. You can't simplify this to be  more speed= more distance
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

na cleirigh

Apparently the answer to this question is Jai alai
If you have nothing nice to type, type it anyway but be prepared for the on slaught

Maiden1

Quote from: Gnevin on August 24, 2009, 03:22:05 PM

A baseball hit 90 degrees in the air will not go very far. You can't simplify this to be  more speed= more distance

You can, more speed = more distance even if that distance up in the air.  If both are hit at the same angle the 1 hit the greatest horizontal velocity will travel further (unless they are both hit straight up in the air in which case they will both travel 0 meters).

stew

The fastest field sport in the world is Hurling, non automated team sport is ice hockey which is the only sport faster than hurling.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Gnevin

Quote from: Maiden1 on August 24, 2009, 03:32:35 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on August 24, 2009, 03:22:05 PM

You can, more speed = more distance even if that distance up in the air.  If both are hit at the same angle the 1 hit the greatest horizontal velocity will travel further (unless they are both hit straight up in the air in which case they will both travel 0 meters).
All things being equal then more speed=more distance but in your golf and baseball example all things are not equal .

flantheman82

get yourselves down to the croke park museum where there's a hurling alley that measures your ball speed.
not sure how accurate it is and think it's more of a fun gimmick but apparently the fastest recorded by a inter-county hurler was 140kmph. I myself got 121 kmph.
its good fun all the same, especially when there's a group of french students behind in awe.

rosnarun

we have a winner
GOLF

World records

Canadian long drive champion, Jason Zuback broke the world ball speed record on an episode of Sports Science with a golf ball speed of 328 km/h (204 mph). 

The most widely quoted response is Nolan Ryan, whose fastball was "officially" clocked by the Guinness Book of World Records at 100.9 miles per hour in a game played on August 20, 1974 versus the Chicago White Sox. A record that's still included in the book.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/articles/fastest-pitcher-in-baseball.shtml

Everyone with the 153 mph serve has outdated info! The current record still lies with Andy Roddick, but has increased to 155 mph, or 249.4 kph. It happened on September 27, 2004 in a Davis Cup match against Belarus. Roddick was playing Vladimir Voltchkov and the serve set him up with three match points. Needless to say, it was an ace!

cricket
shoaib akhtar set a world record by clocking 160.9km/h (100mph) twice.

The Basque Government promotes jai alai as "the fastest sport in the world" because of the balls' speed. A 125g–140g ball covered with goatskin can travel up to 302 km/h (188mph) (José Ramón Areitio at the Newport Jai Alai, Rhode Island).

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere