This is 2009, right? Insanity at Knock!

Started by J70, October 12, 2009, 07:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnevin

Wednesday, 2 December 2009

Five people who stared at the sun in the hope they might be witnessing religious apparitions are being treated for serious eye damage, a top eye surgeon has revealed.

Reports of pilgrims to Knock seeing the sun dance in the sky and changing colour indicate serious eye damage.

And a number of people who attended the recent religious gathering at the Catholic shrine are reporting symptoms of damaged retinas, said Dr Eamonn O'Donoghue, of University College Hospital in Galway.

Dr O'Donoghue revealed he is treating five patients for serious eye injuries caused by staring at the sun at recent gatherings at Knock organised by Dublin "spiritual healers" Joe Coleman and Keith Henderson.

And he has warned those planning to attend a similar gathering this Saturday that they risk damaging their eyes if they stare at the sun for any length of time.

Dr O'Donoghue's patients were part of the 10,000-strong crowd that visited the Marian Shrine in October in the hope of seeing an apparition.

They have since suffered a serious condition called solar retinopathy, caused by the sun's rays burning into the central part of the eye's retina.

Victims have suffered 50pc vision loss which seriously impairs basic abilities such as reading and driving.

Dr O'Donoghue said that it was "monstrous" to mislead people into thinking that altered vision and effects, such as seeing the sun dance, were a religious apparition when they were classic symptoms of solar retinopathy.

"If it did not have such monstrous effects you could describe it as a cheap circus trick," he said.

Dr O'Donoghue, a renowned opthalmic surgeon who also lectures in NUI Galway and works on vision-aid schemes in developing countries, warned that many others could have suffered similar damage to their eyes. And he fears that children attending the next event will suffer loss of vision as they are particularly vulnerable to sun damage. He warned pilgrims that they could accumulate further problems if they repeated the practice of staring at the sun at the next gathering.

"Any person who has any sort of eye problem would be well advised to give this a very wide berth," he said.

While some of those who have damaged their vision may recover some of their sight in the short term, the damage this has done could cause serious sight problems as they age, Dr O'Donoghue said.

He warned that people would be doing "grievous bodily harm" to themselves if they insisted on staring at the sun in the hope of seeing visions.

Although the Catholic Church warned against attending, some 10,000 pilgrims attended a gathering at Knock on October 31 in the hope of seeing a vision of the Blessed Virgin -- the mother of God according to Catholic doctrine.

Mr Coleman, of Ballyfermot, Dublin, has again predicted an apparition for this week.

The Bishop of Killaloe, Dr Willie Walsh, and the Archbishop of Tuam, Dr Michael Neary, have both appealed to Catholics to stay away from the event.

Mr Coleman was unavailable for comment last night.

Source Irish Independent

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/knock-miracle--i-could-see-now-i-am-blind-14582942.html#ixzz0YcwPrz5j

Morons! Lets all stare at the sun till we damage our eyes and then claim it's a miracle.
::) ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

scud

Sure she runs a clinic in Medjugorje, they can nip round after and let her take a look  :D

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

I wish these clowns would stay out of Mayo  ::)  , and yes I know many of them are home grown clowns  :-[
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ludermor

And some of them have access to the interweb

mylestheslasher

A terrible twist to this story. My thoughts go out to his family, very sad indeed....

I remember when my daughter was born early in the morning I was told to go home from hospital as I could not stay there at night. I nearly fell asleep driving home and just caught myself before I did. I wonder is that what happened here?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/visionary-dies-in-crash-hours-after-first-baby-born-2088009.html

'Visionary' dies in crash hours after first baby born

By Isabel Hurley
Thursday March 04 2010
A self-proclaimed visionary who predicted that Our Lady would appear at Knock died in a road crash yesterday just hours after his wife gave birth to their first child.

Keith Henderson (34) was killed when his Toyota hit a pole in the village of Tarmonbarry, Co Roscommon, on the Longford to Strokestown road at 2.45am. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Mr Henderson, who worked as a chef and lived in Scramogue near Tarmonbarry, was alone in the car.

The exact cause of the crash is not yet known. The possibility of driver fatigue or frost on the road will be examined as possible causes.

The body of Mr Henderson was taken to Roscommon General Hospital where a post- mortem examination will be carried out.

Mr Henderson's wife, Sharon, had given birth to their first child in Mullingar Hospital just hours before tragedy struck.

The couple moved to Tarmonbarry from Dublin a little over a year ago. Sharon's father, Ronald, also made the area his home and had to break the terrible news to his daughter in hospital.

Mrs Henderson gave birth on Tuesday and insisted on leaving her hospital bed to identify the body of her husband in Roscommon.

Local parish priest Fr Eamon O'Connor said: "This is a terrible tragedy. I was only talking to him last Sunday after Mass and he was very much looking forward to the birth of their baby.

"Keith's faith was very important to him. We were all very shocked to hear of his death in this road accident.

Devout

"Our sympathies, prayers and support go out to them all at this very difficult and sad time.''

Shocked locals described Mr Henderson as "a lovely person who was very devout."

Last year thousands of people gathered at Knock as Keith and spiritual healer Joe Coleman, from Ballyfermot in Dublin, delivered "visionary messages" from Our Lady.

People travelled from all over the country to pray alongside them.

Cllr Tom Crosby, who lives close to the scene of the accident, said: "Our hearts go out to Keith's family and friends, to his wife Sharon and Sharon's father Ronald. Keith was a very nice man to talk to, well-liked and respected by everyone here.

"He was very religious. For this to happen to them at this particular time when their first baby was just born, it's just unbelievable really, It's so very sad and there is a cloud over the entire parish today. Everyone is upset and affected by this terrible tragedy. Our deepest heartfelt sympathies go out to Sharon and Keith's family."

Keith worked as a chef at Gleeson's Townhouse and Restaurant in Roscommon where he was a popular among staff and customers alike.

Gardai appealed to any witnesses to contact Boyle station at 071 9664620 or the Garda Confidential Line at 1800 666111.

Puckoon

Thats feckin heartbreaking fellas.

His poor wife and child.

J70

Terrible tragedy on what should have been the happiest day in that family's lives. At least his final hours were undoubtedly joyous.