Cure for Cancer?

Started by DownFanatic, August 15, 2009, 06:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerrykeegan

Tesco Greenfarm processed ham €28.50 per kg
Superquinn fresh ham €4.79 per kg

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Maiden1

Quote from: gerrykeegan on August 17, 2009, 04:44:40 PM

The study said that people should not eat bacon as well as ham.  It is to do with the curing (for the bacon anyhow) not with it being processed.

Tomorrow someone else will say cheese and milk are bad for you, next week it could be spagetti hoops and that we will all live to 150 as long as we eat plenty of ham and bacon.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: gerrykeegan on August 17, 2009, 04:44:40 PM

That doesnt sound quite right!
All I know is I can go in to tesco or sainsburys here and if I wanted ham for lunch my options are a packet of 20 slices of ham for maybe 1 or 2 quid, a tin of ham for about a quid, a pack of about 10 slices of ham at about 2.50 (generally my option) or buy a joint of ham, think the small ones are about a fiver, take it home and cook it and it would do a couple of days for sandwiches.  So obviously the more processed and filled with water the food is the cheaper it is. 

I think chicken is already on the list of cancer causing food maiden. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Iceman

I sometimes wonder if the health industry really wants to find the cure to Cancer?  They make a lot of money on treating symptoms of this horrible disease and would surely miss out on this if they discovered a cure.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Maiden1

Quote from: The Iceman on August 17, 2009, 04:56:09 PM
I sometimes wonder if the health industry really wants to find the cure to Cancer?  They make a lot of money on treating symptoms of this horrible disease and would surely miss out on this if they discovered a cure.

Don't think we are supposed to drink beer, eat meat, have saturated fats from butter etc, bread has some preservative which is bad for you ...  I think I will just take my chances.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Bud Wiser

Quote--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 16, 2009, 12:03:29 PM
The point is that if I had taken the trial drug it would have become an overnight success in terms of treatment for C if similar statistics were relied upon, just like the little mouse who has now made the news

Hardly the whole reason for having drug trials is to weed out the statical anomaly such as the above

Tried to translate this a few times but still can't get the point you are trying to make.
Maybe I wasn't clear in my post either but just to make myself clearer:

There is nothing wrong with drug trials, without them there would be no drugs.  There are two reasons I would undergo a drug trial, one if I was asked to do so first instead of sneaking it in without telling me.  The second reason would be if I was sure that what I was undertaking would be some help and I can't see how it could have been a help if it was ,as the chemo doctor said, "being run alongside a standard drug" and regardless of whether I took it ior not the result would have been the same.   The second thing is, I was referring to the cure for cancer as in the thread title, not cancer prevention and, it is my opinion, that the drugs companies have sales reps on the road and some are good to the extent that some GPs are in their pockets in prescribing medicines on the same drug companies notepads that were provided along with the new ballpoint pen and the round of golf in return for their support.  When it comes to the drugs used in cancer treatment, and for that matter, how operations are carried out for cancer treatment there is a wide gap between what you will get from one country to another, or in our case, from one county to another.  Some hospitals have surgeons who can do lapriscopical (keyhole) surgery and some have not but you takes your chances.  Anyway, its not something I want to get dragged into but that is my opinion anyway.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Eoghan Mag

There is a simple cure, put your entire head into a full bucket of water 3 times but only take it out twice!  ;)

I will not give money to people collecting 'for Cancer'. My mother died of Cancer. Such is life. 

gerrykeegan

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Tony Baloney

Just don't break out the candles when you're sitting down to that romantic ham sandwich. Everything in moderation is the key I think.

Hardy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 21, 2009, 10:15:50 AM
Everything in moderation is the key I think.

Everything? That's a bit extreme.

Declan

QuoteEverything in moderation is the key I think.

All things in moderation including moderation ;)