The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The PRO

Quote from: Robbo on September 17, 2021, 09:46:47 AM
Quote from: Helix. on September 17, 2021, 08:43:46 AM
Senior Championship numbers: Was mooted years ago exploring reducing 16 teams to 12. Like turkeys voting for Christmas but will it ever happen?

We say this a lot but is it true?
Some of the most progressive clubs at senior now have had to come up through the ranks in recent years. Surely contesting and winning finals is more appealing to 18-23 year-olds than near-constant relegation worries and the odd 'good year' where you make a semi-final?
I was actually thinking this recently. I would have been an advocate of reducing the number of teams in the SFC previously but to be fair the last number of winners of the intermediate have done well at senior. The last three winners are Clonaslee, Rosenallis and Courtwood and they are all assured of senior football next year.

redsetanta

Yes, but maybe that shows how weak some of the teams are in senior. I don't think it's a ringing endorsement.

Definately should be reduced in my opinion.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Helix.

Quote from: redsetanta on September 17, 2021, 04:00:02 PM
Yes, but maybe that shows how weak some of the teams are in senior. I don't think it's a ringing endorsement.

Definately should be reduced in my opinion.

Hence my point why it should be reduced. How it comes about being changed remains to be seen.

Silkyskillssunshinee

It should definitely be reduced to 12, if not 8 teams. Too many clubs can just win a single match against poor opposition and be happy enough to keep calling themselves Senior for another year. Stradbally are a good example of this. They won Senior in 2016, then seemed to take a few years off before deciding to give it a proper go again.

That said, fair play to Clonaslee on their win last night. Corbet should be given a chance to play out the field for the Seniors as he is very composed on the ball and can kick frees all day. That would give someone like Byron or even Brody if he's interested a chance to play in goals.

Laoiseabu

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on September 17, 2021, 04:20:51 PM
It should definitely be reduced to 12, if not 8 teams. Too many clubs can just win a single match against poor opposition and be happy enough to keep calling themselves Senior for another year. Stradbally are a good example of this. They won Senior in 2016, then seemed to take a few years off before deciding to give it a proper go again.

That said, fair play to Clonaslee on their win last night. Corbet should be given a chance to play out the field for the Seniors as he is very composed on the ball and can kick frees all day. That would give someone like Byron or even Brody if he's interested a chance to play in goals.
Brody shouldn't be let near a Laois senior panel if we have any decency about us

High Fielder

Quote from: Laoiseabu on September 17, 2021, 05:37:28 PM
Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on September 17, 2021, 04:20:51 PM

Brody shouldn't be let near a Laois senior panel if we have any decency about us

Are you for real? What has the lad done to warrant that sort of statement?

smcder

Would a championship of 12 or 10 teams split into two groups be able to work? And then repeat it at intermediate level.

Robbo

Some great football in the U15 Feile football this weekend.

St Joseph's won the A with a seriously impressive team. Ballyfin won the B with a few good footballers from mountrath forming a Gaels.

That Joe's team would have given a National Feile a right go.

Spiritof86

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on September 27, 2021, 10:44:44 PM
Interesting move from Meath and a great idea https://www.the42.ie/barry-horgan-meath-gaa-5559222-Sep2021/
Excellent idea alright . Meath getting there house in order big time, regardless of peoples views on McAntee. Stability and progressing. A clear pathway in place .
Meanwhile we are still stuck in 1980s mode .

clonadmad

Quote from: Robbo on September 27, 2021, 10:55:42 PM
Some great football in the U15 Feile football this weekend.

St Joseph's won the A with a seriously impressive team. Ballyfin won the B with a few good footballers from mountrath forming a Gaels.

That Joe's team would have given a National Feile a right go.

Josephs u15s even more impressive this year than last year.

I cant see the feile competition being of much relevance any more unfortunately given the way its been completely neutered at national level.

Robbo

It'll surely become a series of one-day regional competitions? Maybe the winners come together; maybe not.
The days of young lads staying in random people's homes will ahrdly return.

It's a pity in a way but we live in a different world now.

BallyroanAbu

Bective Stud, is a sugar daddy.  That we simply don't have

clonadmad

Quote from: Robbo on September 28, 2021, 10:09:37 AM
It'll surely become a series of one-day regional competitions? Maybe the winners come together; maybe not.
The days of young lads staying in random people's homes will ahrdly return.

It's a pity in a way but we live in a different world now.

The gutting of the feile competition was in place before covid struck.

so much for juvenile welfare as well with u15's being expected to play 5 games in 2 days.

They could have easily spread the games out over a month and played full 25 min a side games.

You had a situation last weekend where there were teams playing in hurling county final's on the saturday and then expected to play feile on the sunday and monday.

I know of a situation in one county where half the football teams and a third of the hurling teams didnt even bother entering it.

They had championship ongoing and the teams mainly rural were unwilling to take the risk of losing players to injury in the feile.

Robbo

I agree this isn't an issue with covid.
It's a Child Safety nightmare. Surprised it lasted as long as it did.
Never coming back.

Pity but I get it.