Football Better than Hurling.

Started by Whishtup, July 26, 2015, 11:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whishtup

For all the cribbin' about football being dead, too cynical, hard to watch, etc., blah blah blah, it has shaped up nicely this year with the re-emergence of Fermanagh, Galway and Kildare.  There have been some serious games/shocks with Antrim disposing of Laois, Westmeath binning Meath, and Sligo and Fermanagh catching out Roscommon.  Monaghan tore up the Donegal script, and we had the usual competitiveness in the Munster final and the replay. 
              If we compare that to the hurling, there have been a lot of low quality games with dozens of wides costing teams a place in the next round.  The Cork Galway game today was symptomatic of the standard this year with poor defending-many wides for both teams and one team throwing in the towel way too early.  A lot of dirty stuff happening in the hurling these days too.

Would it be criminal to say that football is better to watch than hurling this year?  I wouldn't go rule-changing just yet...

Mayo4Sam14

A good game of hurling is better than a good game of hurling and a bad game of hurling is better than a bad game of football, I would disagree especially with the prominece of the blanket defence
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

From the Bunker

If you think a Bad game of Hurling is better than a bad game of football then you have never been to a hurling match in Mayo! When you see a Hurling Match on the Telly it's a Top 8 v a Top 8 team (Elite v Elite). You'll never see only highlights of any other match.

Whishtup

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 26, 2015, 11:13:05 PM
A good game of hurling is better than a good game of hurling and a bad game of hurling is better than a bad game of football, I would disagree especially with the prominece of the blanket defence

I dunno.  I don't think we give our footballers enough credit for what they do.  Both disciplines provoke different emotions due to their different natures.  A good game of hurling is high octane entertainment for the viewer as you can pick off a score from almost anywhere on the pitch and the frequency of scores is higher.  However,  a good game of football naturally provokes a more intensive, concentrated emotion as the anticipation of a score lasts longer.  I just feel that some of the football games this year have reached those frenzied heights for the supporters, blanket defence and all, whereas perhaps the best is yet to come in hurling.

moysider

Why would you compare 2 completely different sports?

Is the darts better than snooker?

muppet

Quote from: moysider on July 26, 2015, 11:31:41 PM
Why would you compare 2 completely different sports?

Is the darts better than snooker?

Snooker is better.

MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

moysider

Yip. Cant beat a well aimed dart.