The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 14, 2021, 05:57:19 PM
J70

What would you say to Kamala Harris and Joe Biden's campaign staffers  if someone they helped bail out assaulted or murdered one of your family members?

https://thefederalist.com/2020/08/31/meet-the-rioting-criminals-kamala-harris-helped-bail-out-of-jail/

There was widespread appeals across the board to help post bail for people arrested protesting. Far more than rioters were arrested back in the summer, especially here in NYC when the NYPD engaged in a draconian response that was way over what was appropriate for peaceful protests.

Regardless, how many people out of the total bailed out the Minnesota bail fund organization committed violent crimes while out on bail? Was it the majority, as the very fair-minded Federalist writer seems to imply?

Are YOU in favour of the bail system, where rich people can avoid remand for very serious crimes, whereas poor people end up stuck in a hell hole like Rikers Island for low level stuff because they can't post bail?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2021, 12:14:56 PM
J70

What would you say to Kamala Harris and Joe Biden's campaign staffers  if someone they helped bail out assaulted or murdered one of your family members?

https://thefederalist.com/2020/08/31/meet-the-rioting-criminals-kamala-harris-helped-bail-out-of-jail/

There was widespread appeals across the board to help post bail for people arrested protesting. Far more than rioters were arrested back in the summer, especially here in NYC when the NYPD engaged in a draconian response that was way over what was appropriate for peaceful protests.

Regardless, how many people out of the total bailed out the Minnesota bail fund organization committed violent crimes while out on bail? Was it the majority, as the very fair-minded Federalist writer seems to imply?

Are YOU in favour of the bail system, where rich people can avoid remand for very serious crimes, whereas poor people end up stuck in a hell hole like Rikers Island for low level stuff because they can't post bail?

I'm not in favor of the bail system, but you're not answering the question I asked.

Should Democratic politicians be fundraising for groups like these when they will have no control over who gets bailed?

Not everyone held in high bail is annoys out who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. They are being held on high bail for a damn good reason

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boston.com/news/local-news/2020/08/12/mass-bail-fund-answers-criticism-over-freeing-convicted-rapist-accused-of-raping-again/amp

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 15, 2021, 12:48:51 PM
J70

I'm not in favor of the bail system, but you're not answering the question I asked.

Should Democratic politicians be fundraising for groups like these when they will have no control over who gets bailed?

Not everyone held in high bail is annoys out who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. They are being held on high bail for a damn good reason

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boston.com/news/local-news/2020/08/12/mass-bail-fund-answers-criticism-over-freeing-convicted-rapist-accused-of-raping-again/amp

1. If someone is a danger to the public, why are they eligible for bail in the first place? Bail amount should be based on risk of flight and how much it would take to make sure someone shows up for trial. It should be a given that to be eligible for bail, the suspect should not be a threat to anyone or anything.

2. Any politician (or any citizen) should look closely at any organization they're advocating or fund raising for, but I'm not sure what else can be expected if that organization subsequently changes its approach, beyond asking the person for their current position after the change. At the time of Harris's comments, from what I read, this MN crowd had a max cap of $1000 bail.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2021, 01:06:21 PM
J70

1. If someone is a danger to the public, why are they eligible for bail in the first place? Bail amount should be based on risk of flight and how much it would take to make sure someone shows up for trial. It should be a given that to be eligible for bail, the suspect should not be a threat to anyone or anything.

2. Any politician (or any citizen) should look closely at any organization they're advocating or fund raising for, but I'm not sure what else can be expected if that organization subsequently changes its approach, beyond asking the person for their current position after the change. At the time of Harris's comments, from what I read, this MN crowd had a max cap of $1000 bail.

So you're still making excuses for them.....fair enough.

You just can't say they shouldn't have done it or that they displayed extremely bad judgement by doing it.

If a politician jumps on a bandwagon like this to score political points and pander to a certain constituency, they sure as hell should be held to account for the unintended consequences when it all goes wrong .

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 15, 2021, 01:17:23 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2021, 01:06:21 PM
J70

So you're still making excuses for them.....fair enough.

You just can't say they shouldn't have done it or that they displayed extremely bad judgement by doing it.

If a politician jumps on a bandwagon like this to score political points and pander to a certain constituency, they sure as hell should be held to account for the unintended consequences when it all goes wrong .

I see nothing wrong with them having done it.

I also see nothing wrong with questioning them to see if they approve of changes in policy on the part of the organization after the fact.

No excuses there.

whitey

Was it a written policy that changed or did they just expand their mandate once they became flush with cash?

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 15, 2021, 02:45:03 PM
Was it a written policy that changed or did they just expand their mandate once they became flush with cash?

It was their policy. No idea if it was written. I'm sure cash flow was a limiting factor, imposing restrictions early on, in an organization started by students.

And yes, the change coincided with the cash influx.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2021, 03:36:14 PM
Quote from: whitey on February 15, 2021, 02:45:03 PM

It was their policy. No idea if it was written. I'm sure cash flow was a limiting factor, imposing restrictions early on, in an organization started by students.

And yes, the change coincided with the cash influx.

So that's the issue with these smaller entities without proper governance, oversight and or written policies.

At work, we are prohibited from sponsoring any type of charitable event for that exact reason. $100 sponsorship of a sign at a golf outing could land you in the front page of the WSJ

I still think it was a display of extremely bad judgement on their end and I feel that if it was Republicans who did this, the media would have gone to town on them

Gmac

Just as a side note Minneapolis are spending 6.5m on drive to recruit more police officers.
You couldn't make it up , the insanity of theses fools .

J70

Quote from: Gmac on February 15, 2021, 04:24:26 PM
Just as a side note Minneapolis are spending 6.5m on drive to recruit more police officers.

What's the insanity part?

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2021, 04:44:10 PM

try to burn down police buildings with people inside 
March for months to disband and defund the police
Wonder why 200 officers quit or go on medical leave
Don't prosecute rioters and looters
That's a start and as usual the people the leaders of the city are trying to appease are the ones getting hurt and robbed and murdered, sometimes you need to protect people from themselves.

J70

Quote from: Gmac on February 15, 2021, 05:15:45 PM

That's a start and as usual the people the leaders of the city are trying to appease are the ones getting hurt and robbed and murdered, sometimes you need to protect people from themselves.

There were protests, sometimes violent, about police brutality and lack of accountability in the aftermath of another appalling homicide at their hands.

200 police quit or went on leave. I'm sure some were seriously stressed by the added pressures. I'm sure some were close to retirement and said "f**k it". I'm sure some quit in disgust due to the conduct of their colleagues. I'm sure some quit because they no longer felt they could act with impunity.

The city needs to replace them. The city government is spending millions to try to get suitable replacements, hopefully not including Derek Chauvin-types.

And according to this story, dozens are facing prosecution for arson and looting. https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/12/10/twin-cities-man-first-to-be-sentenced-for-arson-from-may-unrest

I'm not seeing the insanity connection.

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2021, 05:31:06 PM

There were protests, sometimes violent, about police brutality and lack of accountability in the aftermath of another appalling homicide at their hands.

200 police quit or went on leave. I'm sure some were seriously stressed by the added pressures. I'm sure some were close to retirement and said "f**k it". I'm sure some quit in disgust due to the conduct of their colleagues. I'm sure some quit because they no longer felt they could act with impunity.

The city needs to replace them. The city government is spending millions to try to get suitable replacements, hopefully not including Derek Chauvin-types.

And according to this story, dozens are facing prosecution for arson and looting. https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/12/10/twin-cities-man-first-to-be-sentenced-for-arson-from-may-unrest

well then I can't help you .

J70

Quote from: Gmac on February 15, 2021, 09:16:15 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2021, 05:31:06 PM

well then I can't help you .

The cops weren't fired or laid off. They quit or went on leave. The city didn't force them out, nor did they "abolish" the police, but now they're stuck with an understaffed police force. So they're hiring a large number of replacements.

What am I missing?

Gmac

J70 will you be joining in in the new performance street art the mayor is  starting with his open culture initiative ? You guys are blessed with him and cuomo .