Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Tyson

Quote from: stiff breeze on July 17, 2018, 11:42:22 AM
Quote from: Cuan12 on July 17, 2018, 06:09:40 AM
Lot of bickering recently on here about Kilcoo , I for one admire them but they are there to be shot at, question for everyone, who are the only two teams from division two to contest SFC finals and what were the outcomes.
Any word on the new Down manager? Dublin hold the ball tactics, would not like to see that spread to other teams, it was horrible to watch but shows how far they are ahead, can't see them being stopped, would love to see Dublin and Kilcoo both toppled but who knows .

Pretty sure loughinisland was one of them and they lost

2008 & 2009 Loughinisland were Div1 but got relegated 2009.

Maiden1

Quote from: Mike Tyson on July 17, 2018, 12:07:31 PM
Quote from: stiff breeze on July 17, 2018, 11:42:22 AM
Quote from: Cuan12 on July 17, 2018, 06:09:40 AM
Lot of bickering recently on here about Kilcoo , I for one admire them but they are there to be shot at, question for everyone, who are the only two teams from division two to contest SFC finals and what were the outcomes.
Any word on the new Down manager? Dublin hold the ball tactics, would not like to see that spread to other teams, it was horrible to watch but shows how far they are ahead, can't see them being stopped, would love to see Dublin and Kilcoo both toppled but who knows .

Pretty sure loughinisland was one of them and they lost

2008 & 2009 Loughinisland were Div1 but got relegated 2009.
I think Rostrevor where promoted from division 2 in 1992 when they lost final to Burren.  Annaclone in final in 2004.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

downjim

passedit

Downpatrick, Annaclone? Win, Loss.

Really should have read previous page. Rostrevor were indeed in Div 2, considering I played a league game against them about a fortnight before the final you'd think I'd have known that.
Don't Panic

Cuan12

Loughinisland beat by Burren in 1985, start of a great rivalry over next 5 years, Bryansfird were the other team in the late sixties, and that started them on a wonderful run of form for the next Nos of years, maybe both of these east down teams can shake a few south down trees, championship time is always interesting , however can't see past   Kilcoo.
Any more word on the new senior county manager.

Maiden1

Quote from: Cuan12 on July 17, 2018, 09:48:35 PM
Loughinisland beat by Burren in 1985, start of a great rivalry over next 5 years, Bryansfird were the other team in the late sixties, and that started them on a wonderful run of form for the next Nos of years, maybe both of these east down teams can shake a few south down trees, championship time is always interesting , however can't see past   Kilcoo.
Any more word on the new senior county manager.
Interesting but not the only 2 teams.

Annaclone where div 2 in 2004

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/3727136.stm

And I'm fairly sure Rostrevor where division 2 in 1992 as well.

downjim

Cuan12

Apologies to all in Annaclone , they were div2 also, but since formation of leagues as we know it very few Div 2 sides get to final and I don't think any have won the SFC, Kilcoo I see are 1/2 favs , short enough for me but there are those who may think it's a great price ,not for me , would like to see new champions but with the back door system now in place the one of shocks can't take place any more, I recall Tecconaught beating all Ireland champions Burren in 1989 , probably the biggest shock in the history of theSFC , unless you know better.I would like to see the knockout system returned , no back doors, means when your beat your OUT

Maiden1

Quote from: Cuan12 on July 18, 2018, 07:23:22 AM
Apologies to all in Annaclone , they were div2 also, but since formation of leagues as we know it very few Div 2 sides get to final and I don't think any have won the SFC, Kilcoo I see are 1/2 favs , short enough for me but there are those who may think it's a great price ,not for me , would like to see new champions but with the back door system now in place the one of shocks can't take place any more, I recall Tecconaught beating all Ireland champions Burren in 1989 , probably the biggest shock in the history of theSFC , unless you know better.I would like to see the knockout system returned , no back doors, means when your beat your OUT
I think Teconnaught win over Burren was 1982.  Dromara going from reserve league a few years previous to beating Rostrevor (not sure of team) in 1991 senior championship was a fairly big surprise.  Donal Bell player/coach on both teams.

Mourne Rover

Teconnaught did beat Burren in 1982, which was before Burren had won any of their Ulster and All Ireland titles, but it was still arguably the biggest Down SFC shock in living memory. Burren were the defending county champions at the time and went on to win the next six in a row.  Donal Bell was some operator, and he was not only the player/manager for Teconnaught but also a deadly free taker

A man from Down

Donal Bell is back at the helm in Teconnaught this season and although probably in the wrong division they are unbeaten so far.

downjim

Can any Kilcoo poster tell me their longest winning record without being beaten, the back door does suit the bigger clubs

Smurfy123

What's Burren longest run?Obviously the Burren team rank as the best in the history of Down football
Who was the next best 2
Downpatrick
Kilcoo
Bryansford
Mayobridge
Loughinisland

Some great teams

downjim

The Clonduff 1 in a row of 2000 was brilliant.

downjim

Any games worth going to tonight as a neutral??