Paddy Heaney of the irish news!

Started by culchy1, December 07, 2006, 10:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Man Marker

LRTF, Paddy is a mad derry supporter. He should leave his derry bais at the front door of the Irish News. How does his editor allow him to get away with it.

haranguerer

I'd love it if you chewed some of your own limbs off fox - chiefly those you use for typing!  :P  :D

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: haranguerer on February 09, 2010, 01:16:46 PM
I'd love it if you chewed some of your own limbs off fox - chiefly those you use for typing!  :P  :D

BOOM BOOM  :D :D :D
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Man in the Stand

Paddy Heaney has made a habit of hyping up Derry and other counties performances when it suits his agenda i.e to get access to players and managers for stories. When things arent going well he is given less access and turns his frustration into pot shots at the management and the county boards. At present he has access to players and Damien Cassidy and all is sweetness and light but when things go wrong (i hope they dont) he will again return to form and complain/criticise.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: haranguerer on February 09, 2010, 01:16:46 PM

My secretary types these messages for me  :-*

sawel

I stand to be corrected but i don't think he has yet made a positive comment about how the refurbished Celtic Park.
He always gave me the impression that he would be happier 'working' from a curtain-sider in Glen.
However to give him credit he does write some good articles, but today paper had too much about Derry. I dread to see his articles if when we beat Tyrone in a championship game.

whiskeysteve

I think yous are being harsh on Heaney.

Firstly, the article itself. He doesnt hype up derry so much as suggest that a lot of last years bunch had the mindsets of institutionalised losers, so to speak. He merely observes that Cassidy may be building a team around a spine of last years players who fought to the death. At no point did he predict great success come championship so I wouldnt regard his piece as hyperbole.

Secondly, obviously the man will show a tendency to write more about Derry, but a quick glance at other GAA journos would suggest he is hardly criminal in this regard. For example, though I enjoy Jerome Quinns vimeo uploads, a quick glance through his collection shows how ridiculously (and nauseatingly :)) it is skewed towards Tyrone

Lastly, the real archvillian of overhyping Derry is Brolly. The man cant help flamboyantly hoisting derry men on pedestals, sometimes a week prior to knocking off time. Has one of the major lessons of recent championships not been that Derry are at their most vulnerable when they are looking like the real deal!? His articles are good craic but feck me, in 'the genius of the bradleys' we've had paddy bradley texting to confirm his genius in getting a goal off the right boot, in another mcgilligan observing that joe diver is 'one big b**tard', in another fergal doc being the best hitter of men in ireland, etc. Thats just off the top of my head.

On the topic of these columns in general; if you stared long enough in the alphabet soup of the great derry league performances of the past 10 years you could assemble any number of 'this time its different' spiels. We've been down this road too many times by now. I'll start to believe Derry can win Ulster when I see back to back victories in the championship. Of course it sounds like a bit of a cynical attitude and I hope no member of the Derry setup ever shares it! And for that matter, it's Heaney's job to avoid cynicism and pick up signs of potential success on the horizon. Apathy don't sell!

But for all that it was an interesting piece by Heaney and I hope it has resonance come the summer (at last!)
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

orangeman

Brilliant article this week from Heaney -

" To the officials in Croke Park who are in charge of training and appointing match officials, I would make one simple request : please give us our game back. "

T O Hare

a good article today Paddy but you made a mistake... Benny Coulters birthday is the 7th June 1982 which makes him only 27 to next week... ;D ;D
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Down South

Quote from: T O Hare on June 01, 2010, 11:07:32 AM
a good article today Paddy but you made a mistake... Benny Coulters birthday is the 7th June 1982 which makes him only 27 to next week... ;D ;D

That makes him 28 next week.

A Quinn Martin Production

Hope you're not operating the scoreboard anywhere TOH ;)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Rois

But if TOH is right about the birthday then he's right about Heaney's article - he's only 27 (until next week) whereas Paddy Heaney says he'll be 29 later this year.

the wildebeest man

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on June 01, 2010, 12:00:13 PM

Hope you're not operating the scoreboard anywhere TOH ;)

And I hope Paddy Heaney's not operating one either. We beat Dungiven by a point in the game he is referring to. 0-14 to 1-10.

T O Hare

Quote from: Down South on June 01, 2010, 11:18:57 AM

That makes him 28 next week.

He is still only 27 TO next week!!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"