Paddy Heaney of the irish news!

Started by culchy1, December 07, 2006, 10:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Is Paddy a one trick pony? Gaelic football and nothing else? A bit like The Irish News.

They claim that the majority of the people who read it are Footballers so thats why they publicise it more. Which is a cop out in my opinion

To generate interest in a sport (like hurling) the Irish News and other Media should promote both sports equally.

Gaelic Life is worse again, two pages in total!!!

But i do like some of his work, he can be a bit smug at times. And claim things he never done (standing on his seat at the boxing match, cheering and clapping on McCloskey) but thats ok, some of us do that here ;)

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 22, 2009, 09:50:54 AM
Excelled himself again today with a great piece on Maurice Fitz.....sorry I cant put it up....maybe someone else will oblige....

I don't see the facility to copy and paste with the new online package 5 Sams, apologies.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Zapatista

Excelled himself again today with a great piece on Maurice Fitz.....sorry I cant put it up....maybe someone else will oblige....Goldenyears?/

Maurice Fitz got great coverege on NewsTalks Off the Ball yesterday too. Playing mighty stuff for the club apparently. 40 years old too.

longrunsthefox

Excelled himself again today with a great piece on Maurice Fitz.....sorry I cant put it up....maybe someone else will oblige....Goldenyears?/

Looked very like a piece he did last year when he visited Kerry  :o

charlieTully

Quote from: longrunsthefox on December 22, 2009, 03:41:44 PM

Looked very like a piece he did last year when he visited Kerry  :o

you are spot on, a total rehash of a previous article, lazy git.

eireogatron

not really. If you read the article he makes no effort to hide the fact that he met MF during last years trip to Kerry - in fact he makes this statement in the opening 2 or 3 paragraphs.

eireogatron

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 22, 2009, 01:40:19 PM
Is Paddy a one trick pony? Gaelic football and nothing else? A bit like The Irish News.

They claim that the majority of the people who read it are Footballers so thats why they publicise it more. Which is a cop out in my opinion

To generate interest in a sport (like hurling) the Irish News and other Media should promote both sports equally.

But i do like some of his work, he can be a bit smug at times. And claim things he never done (standing on his seat at the boxing match, cheering and clapping on McCloskey) but thats ok, some of us do that here ;)

to be fair there are regular pieces and columnists about hurling. Sands for instance.

The simple fact of the matter is that hurling is not terribly popular in the North and the overwhelmingly vast majority of readers are either primarily interested in or solely interested in football. This is called a target audience.

Why should the Irish News promote hurling with equal coverage to football? They are trying to sell papers and their audience is a mainly football one. If they are going to promote equality should they have 1 page for football, 1 for hurling, 1 for road bowls, 1 for handball, 1 for soccer, 1 for swimming, 1 for rugby????

longrunsthefox

Quote from: eireogatron on December 22, 2009, 03:55:29 PM
not really. If you read the article he makes no effort to hide the fact that he met MF during last years trip to Kerry - in fact he makes this statement in the opening 2 or 3 paragraphs.

but then he rehashed that meeting... again

eireogatron

there are definite similarities because he is reminiscing about the same meeting but I wouldnt call it a rehash. Personally, I quite enjoyed it.

longrunsthefox

Whatever...  Maurice Fitz was definitely something special, that's for sure.

thewanderer

Maurice was a class act but Heaney is a prat, talks mainly about his own silly exploits and is biased for certain counties and clubs

Zapatista

Quote from: thewanderer on December 22, 2009, 04:21:09 PM
Maurice was a class act but Heaney is a prat, talks mainly about his own silly exploits and is biased for certain counties and clubs

Appealing to his readers I suppose.

goldenyears

5sams I got away with the 1 subscription for about 3 years! And about 10 lads in work used same login!

They have got wise to me + cut me off lol

Milltown Row2

Quote from: eireogatron on December 22, 2009, 04:00:21 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 22, 2009, 01:40:19 PM

to be fair there are regular pieces and columnists about hurling. Sands for instance.

The simple fact of the matter is that hurling is not terribly popular in the North and the overwhelmingly vast majority of readers are either primarily interested in or solely interested in football. This is called a target audience.

Why should the Irish News promote hurling with equal coverage to football? They are trying to sell papers and their audience is a mainly football one. If they are going to promote equality should they have 1 page for football, 1 for hurling, 1 for road bowls, 1 for handball, 1 for soccer, 1 for swimming, 1 for rugby????

Irish News claims to be number one for Gaelic Games, i'd agree that they number one for Gaelic Football. Sands gets one page once a week!!!

i'd like to see the break down on how Gaa members in Ulster play hurling and football. and how many play just the one. In Belfast alone we have only 2/3 single code clubs at senior level (they may have juvenile hurling teams) from 22 clubs. how many club in all of Fermanagh in total? so the target audience is there. but we are being short changed.

I've been playing both sports since i was 10 (still do!!) so while my main passion is hurling i still enjoy playing football

sell papers for the target audience is fine but stop claiming they are number one for Gaelic Games then
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Zapatista

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 22, 2009, 10:14:13 PM
Irish News claims to be number one for Gaelic Games, i'd agree that they number one for Gaelic Football. Sands gets one page once a week!!!

i'd like to see the break down on how Gaa members in Ulster play hurling and football. and how many play just the one. In Belfast alone we have only 2/3 single code clubs at senior level (they may have juvenile hurling teams) from 22 clubs. how many club in all of Fermanagh in total? so the target audience is there. but we are being short changed.

I've been playing both sports since i was 10 (still do!!) so while my main passion is hurling i still enjoy playing football

sell papers for the target audience is fine but stop claiming they are number one for Gaelic Games then

Don't think it really matters. All papers cliam to be something they're not. The Irish Times claims to be the paper of record FFS.