Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Trap

So next year we will have lots of games like Kerry v Galway tyrone v armagh and Dublin v monaghan to look forward to.....

ashman

Hope it backfires and the crowds are small .

The Trap

Most of the last round of games will prob be pointless..   

Esmarelda

Right on cue.

Conversely, we'll not hear the usual suspects tell us that it's a disgrace that these games were on Sky, because the games weren't any good.

The Trap

Esmerelda I have been saying for a while now that cake was right about the comparison between gaa and Catholic church......it's going to f**k up sooner rather than later the to bad decisions made by the leaders!

Zulu

Eh? At least the super 8 would provide us with some good games as opposed to what we have.

Esmarelda

Quote from: The Trap on August 05, 2017, 06:58:13 PM
Esmerelda I have been saying for a while now that cake was right about the comparison between gaa and Catholic church......it's going to f**k up sooner rather than later the to bad decisions made by the leaders!
I know. I've been reading.

Solutions is what we want. Based on today's games in isolation it's back to straight knockout and four provincial winners through to the semi-finals.

However, if Cork/Kildare/Galway/Donegal get their act together then the following year we can say that we need to bring back the back door because these teams should be in Croke Park in August.

Reactionary one-liners are pointless and predictable.

Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 07:03:23 PM
Eh? At least the super 8 would provide us with some good games as opposed to what we have.
Exactly.

Syferus

It would provide us at least twice as many of games like the one that's so one-sided that it's allowing you to post on a forum right now.

The Trap

We might get the good games in the semi finals......let the lads at away at club football and enjoy their lives instead of feeding a commercial gravy train.....

Zulu

Quote from: Syferus on August 05, 2017, 07:06:32 PM

It would provide us at least twice as many of games like the one that's so one-sided that it's allowing you to post on a forum right now.

Not necessarily. We could be watching Dublin against Mayo in Castlebar or Monaghan against Roscommon in Clones. There'll be bad games in any system, the issue is can we get more good games in a different one? 

Esmarelda

Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 07:10:02 PM

Not necessarily. We could be watching Dublin against Mayo in Castlebar or Monaghan against Roscommon in Clones. There'll be bad games in any system, the issue is can we get more good games in a different one?
You're very game Zulu.

Syferus

The only reason you might have more good games is by sheer volume, you're also increasing the dross exponentially as well. That's a terrible way to do it and dilutes the product even more.

If you can't see that the answer to more competitive games isn't a formatting problem I'm afraid you're well off the mark.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Syferus on August 05, 2017, 07:18:19 PM

The only reason you might have more good games is by sheer volume, you're also increasing the dross exponentially as well. That's a terrible way to do it and dilutes the product even more.

If you can't see that the answer to more competitive games isn't a formatting problem I'm afraid you're well off the mark.
Question for you. The solution you've told us previously, which you won't repeat, would it have gotten a 2/3 vote in Congress? Let's pretend that the people voting didn't know that it came from you.

Zulu

Every sport in the world provides more games than we do and all those sports provide poor games and great games. The only way, absolutely only way, to provide more good games is to provide more games between the top teams. The super 8 does that. Of course we need to look at the finances and other issues but money won't make Longford competitive against Dublin every year and splitting counties is anti-GAA, not to mention unrealistic. So the only realistic option for now is to pit Dublin, Mayo and Kerry against each other more often and hope the likes of Kildare, Galway etc. can close the gap.

Syferus

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 05, 2017, 07:20:55 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 05, 2017, 07:18:19 PM

Question for you. The solution you've told us previously, which you won't repeat, would it have gotten a 2/3 vote in Congress? Let's pretend that the people voting didn't know that it came from you.

I'm sick of the same loop of discussing what needs to be done. I'm not going to get into it here; you're not bothered to use the search function, so like hell will I be bothered to type it up again. There's enough circling and circling the same topics on this forum without adding to it in the middle of the season. There was more than enough threads on championship format ideas to whet any appetite you have for the topic.