The Official Tennis Thread

Started by Doogie Browser, January 26, 2010, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: stew on January 27, 2017, 09:01:37 PM
Quote from: AhNowRef on January 27, 2017, 06:45:45 PM
Yeah that 2008 final is the best final of any sport Ive ever seen .. unreal .... Both incredible players but I did want Federer to win as I think he plays the game with unparalleled panache  ..  he obviously didnt win but Nadal is class too.. & he's the ultimate athlete & contender..

Always found these 2 far more likable than Djokovic (and more recently Murray .. just because he's so bloody monotonous)

Mon Federer

Nadal has long been said to have taken performance enhancers, nothing has ever been proven but for some reason I cannot fathom I have nevervpulled for him since hearing that.

Federer to have one last day in the sun, fair play to both men, brilliant achievement.

Tennis has long been known to have a huge problem with drugs. The only thing I'd say is that if Nadal is/was on them, you can bet everybody else was too. Djokovic came through at the beginning of '08 but then developed a reputation for quitting and not being able to hack the biggest matches either physically or mentally. Suddenly, in '11 everything changed and he became unbeatable, even outlasting Nadal. I'm sure the vegan diet was entirely responsible for that...

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on January 28, 2017, 08:04:49 AM
Quote from: stew on January 27, 2017, 09:01:37 PM
Quote from: AhNowRef on January 27, 2017, 06:45:45 PM
Yeah that 2008 final is the best final of any sport Ive ever seen .. unreal .... Both incredible players but I did want Federer to win as I think he plays the game with unparalleled panache  ..  he obviously didnt win but Nadal is class too.. & he's the ultimate athlete & contender..

Always found these 2 far more likable than Djokovic (and more recently Murray .. just because he's so bloody monotonous)

Mon Federer

Nadal has long been said to have taken performance enhancers, nothing has ever been proven but for some reason I cannot fathom I have nevervpulled for him since hearing that.

Federer to have one last day in the sun, fair play to both men, brilliant achievement.

Tennis has long been known to have a huge problem with drugs. The only thing I'd say is that if Nadal is/was on them, you can bet everybody else was too. Djokovic came through at the beginning of '08 but then developed a reputation for quitting and not being able to hack the biggest matches either physically or mentally. Suddenly, in '11 everything changed and he became unbeatable, even outlasting Nadal. I'm sure the vegan diet was entirely responsible for that...

Maybe he copied Usain Bolts chicken nugget diet
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stew

Serena has to be considered the best of all time at this stage, she is an incredible athlete and is an outstanding role model for young girls the world over, fair play to her and Venus, they are amazing women altogether.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ONeill

Great game. Nadal dominant in the 2nd. Fed in the 3rd (so far - could change). They seem to take breathers!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on January 29, 2017, 10:18:23 AM
Great game. Nadal dominant in the 2nd. Fed in the 3rd (so far - could change). They seem to take breathers!
Dunno if Fed has the juice for a 5th set. They've still got a few tricks though!

BennyHarp

Looks like he's got the juice alright! This is very enjoyable stuff!
That was never a square ball!!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 29, 2017, 11:58:51 AM
Looks like he's got the juice alright! This is very enjoyable stuff!
Must have got a wee shot of something good on his medical break  ;D

BennyHarp

Looked like Nadal took breathers on the Fed serve for a few games after he broke him in the last.
That was never a square ball!!

Minder

Tony Baloney

Some comeback for Fed. I thought he was fed and buried in that last set  :-X

mouview

Incredible. Has Fed ever been more magnificent? Up there with his finest achievements.

gallsman

Bugger that. Utterly incredible drama at the end but it has to be said, over the course of the match, the higher standard of tennis came from Federer. Nadal had the advantage in the final set and uncharacteristically gave it up, but not without a fight. Federer earned those breaks and is a deserving winner.

SHEEDY

Brillant by federer, 18th grand slam...some achievement to win so soon after 6 months out of tennis.
nil satis nisi optimum

Minder

Quote from: mouview on January 29, 2017, 12:21:56 PM
Incredible. Has Fed ever been more magnificent? Up there with his finest achievements.

I wonder will that do him ? With Djokovic off form he could hit 20 this year

StGallsGAA

Absolutely unbelievable. Approaching 36 and winning his 18th Grand Slam 5 years after his 17th!  A super human feat!