The Official Tennis Thread

Started by Doogie Browser, January 26, 2010, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Djokovic battled back when it looked like it was he was going to be 2-0 in sets, to make it 1-1 each. He was different class from then on. Top player.

muppet

Quote from: Rois on January 27, 2013, 10:50:07 AM
I realize I'm in a tiny minority who always supports Murray.

There are a few of us.

Not good enough today though.
MWWSI 2017

rrhf

Right which of you fcukers shot the goose

muppet

Quote from: rrhf on January 27, 2013, 01:15:43 PM
Right which of you fcukers shot the goose

Bit early for the sauce rrhf?
MWWSI 2017

Orior

Quote from: muppet on January 27, 2013, 12:48:35 PM

There are a few of us.

I'm another Murray fan. Disappointed for him
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ballinaman

Quote from: Orior on January 27, 2013, 02:37:41 PM

There are a few of us.

Yep, me too. He was playing great stuff until the middle of the 2nd set, looked unstoppable.

Minder

Quote from: ballinaman on January 27, 2013, 02:40:56 PM

There are a few of us.

Yep, me too. He was playing great stuff until the middle of the 2nd set, looked unstoppable.

Don't think you can say he looked unstoppable, he never broke Djokovic the whole match.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ballinaman

Quote from: Minder on January 27, 2013, 02:45:26 PM

There are a few of us.

Don't think you can say he looked unstoppable, he never broke Djokovic the whole match.
True, thought Djokovic didn't seem to be playing like himself more than Murray dominating...Djokovic bouncing his racket ect, was looking frustrated. Class entertainment for a Sunday morning.

Minder

Quote from: ballinaman on January 27, 2013, 03:02:15 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 27, 2013, 02:45:26 PM

There are a few of us.

True, thought Djokovic didn't seem to be playing like himself more than Murray dominating...Djokovic bouncing his racket ect, was looking frustrated. Class entertainment for a Sunday morning.

It got me through overtime in work !

Milltown Row2

Murray played well, there's no doubting the class of Djokovic, 6 majors tells you that. Murray had a real chance at love 40 up in the second set and just let it go.

Murray will win a few more finals there is no doubt in that. Was a good morning watch, followe that up while watching my daughter play a tournament watch Leeds and had a few beers in the pavilion also!! Nice Sunday's
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

A tennis player with ropey knees may as well sit in the house. Nadal will never be the same again. Agree with lads above, Nadal might score another French Opens, Fed another couple and Murray and Djoker will probably divvy up the rest over the next 4 years or so. If The Big 3 consists Djokovic and Murray, who will take the third spot in a few years?

Minder

Anyone think there is anything in the rumours about Nadal and steroids?

Milltown Row2

I would have said that of the women a few years ago Minder, christ they were built like fcuk
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2013, 11:53:28 PM
I would have said that of the women a few years ago Minder, christ they were built like fcuk
You're not wrong

yellowcard

Djokovic coming under scrutiny in the last few weeks in relation to his reputation as a marathon man which has developed in the last 2/3 years. This article was in The Times at the weekend and shows the laxed attitude to drug testing that exists in tennis.

Lax drug-testing casts undue shadow over centre court
Harman, Neil. Weekend Australian [Canberra, A.C.T] 26 Jan 2013: 40.

It would be easy for cheats to thrive in professional tennis

CONSIDER this hypothetical sketch. After a four-hour match at the Australian Open, in the searing heat of the day, the winner returns to his hotel room and is infused with blood, boosting his red-cell count.

He then takes human growth hormone to repair micro-tears in his muscles and returns to the court 48 hours later in a fitter state than he was at the start of the previous round, runs around and wins again. What could tennis do about it? As things stand, the answer is nothing.

At present, there is no proviso for blood-testing winners and a loser's sample will not be specifically tested for blood-doping unless the authorities request it -- which they do not. They will not say how many tests they do for HGH, which may mean none. Any doper is home and dry. The problem with tennis is not whether it has a cheating culture, but that if it does, unless there is a dramatic shift in approach, we will never know about it.

The sport has moved into realms of dynamism, physicality and athleticism that could never have been imagined 10 years ago and yet the anti-doping program, the responsibility of the ITF in the manner approved by the World Anti-Doping Agency, has not kept up with the times. When world No 1 Novak Djokovic said in Melbourne that he had had one blood test in seven months and in the next breath felt the doping regime was sound, it was a shocking mixed message.

Djokovic was quite astonishing on Thursday night, defeating David Ferrer, the world No 4, 6-2, 6-2, 6-1 in the first semi-final and saying that he is playing the best tennis of his career. "Tonight I just played an incredible match. I don't expect this," he said. Only four days ago, he was taken to the brink in 5hr 2min by Stanislas Wawrinka, of Switzerland, and won 12-10 in the fifth set. In the next two matches, played in the space of 48 hours, he defeated Tomas Berdych, the world No 5, for the loss of 12 games, and the No 4, dropping five.

He is playing like a super-human and knows that people are questioning how he delivers time after time. He deserves the right for the sport to declare him -- and everyone -- unequivocally clean.

Djokovic would be right to be concerned with the laxity of the anti-doping procedures -- he should have had 10 tests in the seven months in which they stuck a needle into his arm once -- and he should also be pointing to the leaders in the sport and asking why more is not done, not simply to be satisfied that they always know where he is.

The Lance Armstrong scandal has every sport rattled and none more so than this one. The new in-word is recovery. There is almost as much discussion about what a player does when no one sees them as what they are achieving when the cameras are on them.

Today, a sense that tennis players simply do not dope pervades the sport's thinking. That is entirely wrongheaded. "The implication that greatness is compromised just because it's great is the biggest disservice you can do," said Justin Gimelstob, a player representative on the ATP board. "You could not do anything more damaging than imply that someone's hard work and talent is artificially enhanced." But only if tennis can be sure that there is no reason for anyone to imply anything will the implications cease.

It is time that Djokovic, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray took a decisive lead and demanded action. They need to tell the ITF it is its duty to put in place the finest system that money can buy and do the tests that will catch offenders. The anti-doping budget last year was $US1.8 million ($1.7m) and yet there was a $US300,000 underspend. How can that happen? That would pay for 500 decent blood-doping tests and then the sport would really know where it stood.

And how about freezing the blood and urine samples taken from this moment on and keeping them for a decade? If players know that the present quality of testing will not catch them because they are using something undetectable, they would be spooked by the thought of having their samples kept and retrospectively tested at any time in 10 years.

An anti-doping expert told The Times this week: "The storing of samples and publicly pronouncing that you are storing them is one of the biggest deterrents to doping in sport. The next test could be beaten, but it would be hard to beat a decade's advances in technology. It's in a laboratory somewhere -- a ticking time bomb."

Tennis has a global prize-money fund of $US500m, its popularity more profound than it has ever been. Imagine the crushing blow to the sport's prestige should one of the best in the sport be found to have been enhancing their performance.

Any increase in funding should be seen as an insurance policy to protect that astonishing level of investment. It is not about how much is spent: the UCI, cycling's governing body, spent $US5m a year and look what it got -- the Armstrong travesty. It is about how you execute the program with the money at your disposal. And the core of anti-doping is about protecting the reputation of clean athletes as much as it is catching the cheats.