Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Begrudgers out in force today.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Avondhu star

Quote from: Rossfan on November 13, 2017, 01:30:35 PM
Is it the purpose of the GAA to encourage the playing of the national games or to try and introduce a bastardised version of football?
There's a lot of clubs in Roscommon who could do with a share of the money the junket costs
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

CJ2017

Can anyone identify this man at the International rules training in Oz this week?

https://www.sportsfile.com/id/1413424/

or this one
https://www.sportsfile.com/id/1413421/

https://www.sportsfile.com/id/1409981/

I think he is Darragh O'Se maybe? Is he the brother of Marc O'Se?

JoG2

Quote from: Avondhu star on November 13, 2017, 01:43:22 PM
Is it the purpose of the GAA to encourage the playing of the national games or to try and introduce a bastardised version of football?
There's a lot of clubs in Roscommon who could do with a share of the money the junket costs

sure, put a motion in to half the wages of the GPA charlatans, that'll cover these clubs, and let the players have their well earned trip away to represent their country. Also, a fund raising committee organising events, getting players, members etc involved, white collar, strictly, lotto etc..you know, like every club in the country does.

Redhand Santa

Cost is another reason quite often thrown out as a reason to stop the series. Are you sure it actually costs money? When you consider ticket sales, sponsorship, jersey sales, tv rights etc I'd say it more than covers itself.

Like someone said earlier I'm not sure what impact Marc O'Se thinks the series had on club football. I haven't heard of any stories were players missed important club games over it this year. And I'm pretty sure the game being on tv at 5 yesterday morning had no impact on attendances at club games yesterday.

Rossfan

I would submit that a bastardised  version of football has been much in vogue since throwball took over the playing fields of Ireland.
I presume the gate receipts and sponsorship covers the cost of the International Rules.

tonto1888

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 13, 2017, 12:55:41 PM
This 'f**k the Begrudgers' stuff is starting to get on my tits. No matter what the subject is, if you voice any sort of disagreement, you are a begrudger. I've long ago given up watching this farce, but I understand and accept that others do, so be it. I'm not going to call them names for liking it.

f**k the begrudgers on Dublin
f**k the begrudgers on International Rules
f**k the begrudgers on Padraic Duffy
f**k the begrudgers on Martin O'Neill and his style of play
f**k the begrudgers on Conor McGregor
f**k the begrudgers on U2

ad infinitum

Jaysus it would wear you down. It would appear that all disagreement now is simply begrudgery. Do people actually know what 'begrudgery' is?

A lot of them Id agree with you but with IR, its pretty simple. If you like it watch it, if not dont

Esmarelda

This 'f**k the Begrudgers' stuff is starting to get on my tits. No matter what the subject is, if you voice any sort of disagreement, you are a begrudger. I've long ago given up watching this farce, but I understand and accept that others do, so be it. I'm not going to call them names for liking it.

ad infinitum

Jaysus it would wear you down. It would appear that all disagreement now is simply begrudgery. Do people actually know what 'begrudgery' is?
Unlike you to get rattled AZ. I agree with the begrudgery point but there's comes a point when "turn the channel" is a fair point.

Also, why do you feel the need to call it a farce?

mrhardyannual

I don't have a problem with the game, after all there has to be a compromise between the rules to allow the game be played. Some of the changes that we have adopted from the Aussie game have proven beneficial, the mark, sideline and free-kicks from the hand. The referees had no problem counting handpasses and calling for a kick after the 6th pass. Perhaps we could use this to reduce the handpassing in GAA but it was also noticeable that players punted passes after handpassing and the restriction was not as effective as might have been thought.

My problem is with our preparation for the series. Team selection seems to be done on a "catch all" basis. Many of the lesser known players have shone for their counties in league and early stages of championship and may seem to be deserving of selection on that basis. However, having not played at the cutting edge of the championship against higher quality players they appear to fall short. This is not due to a lack of ability but rather a lack of exposure to the pressure of top-level play. Our management too seems to be  used as a reward to a long serving former county manager rather than someone at the cutting edge of the modern game. We complained for years that the Aussies didn't take it seriously. The change in their attitude and the development of their tactics in playing the game is markedly obvious. We need to respond in kind.

Eamonnca1

Jinxy

Marc O'Sé is dead right.
No wonder ourselves and Dublin don't bother with this nonsense anymore.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Esmarelda on November 13, 2017, 03:07:20 PM

ad infinitum

Unlike you to get rattled AZ. I agree with the begrudgery point but there's comes a point when "turn the channel" is a fair point.

It's not begrudgery to say you don't like the game. I said I don't watch it but I'm well aware others do and like it. No harm. I just don't like being told not liking it is begrudgery. 

As for why I call it a farce it's because
A it's not football
B it's not aussie rules
C it's only played a couple of times a year
D it doesn't seem to serve any purpose.

But that's just my opinion.  I know others disagree. Either way it's not begrudgery 😀

tonto1888

Quote from: Jinxy on November 13, 2017, 06:17:18 PM
Marc O'Sé is dead right.

Were any Meath players asked to take part?

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 13, 2017, 06:30:10 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 13, 2017, 03:07:20 PM

ad infinitum

It's not begrudgery to say you don't like the game. I said I don't watch it but I'm well aware others do and like it. No harm. I just don't like being told not liking it is begrudgery. 

As for why I call it a farce it's because
A it's not football
B it's not aussie rules
C it's only played a couple of times a year
D it doesn't seem to serve any purpose.

But that's just my opinion.  I know others disagree. Either way it's not begrudgery 😀

Sport in general at a high level serves no purpose.

Rossfan

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 13, 2017, 06:55:09 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on November 13, 2017, 06:17:18 PM
Marc O'Sé is dead right.

Were any Meath players asked to take part?
Players from Intermediate and Junior Counties were not considered.