Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Payne

What an effort by Omagh to turn that game around against the South Armagh Superclub. Mc Anulla, Meyler, Aaron Grugan and Tierney all had mighty performances especially in the second half. Cross, St Galls, Kilcoo all out. Omagh could go the distance in Ulster.

Up The Middle

Well done Omagh. Proved a lot of people wrong me included. Myler a great talent surely a county call up on the cards.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Man Marker

Quote from: Max Payne on November 02, 2014, 04:35:17 PM
What an effort by Omagh to turn that game around against the South Armagh Superclub. Mc Anulla, Meyler, Aaron Grugan and Tierney all had mighty performances especially in the second half. Cross, St Galls, Kilcoo all out. Omagh could go the distance in Ulster.

Indeed, great victory, a and to come from seven down makes it more remarkabe but they had some chance before the game started with both Aaron and Stephen not playing and then five minutes into the game Kyle Gallagher has to go off. That is some trio, then to top it off with ten to go Cross are reduced to 14 and then soon after 13, if Omagh hadn't of beaten them giving those circumstances, well they never would.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Man Marker on November 02, 2014, 06:22:36 PM
Quote from: Max Payne on November 02, 2014, 04:35:17 PM

Indeed, great victory, a and to come from seven down makes it more remarkabe but they had some chance before the game started with both Aaron and Stephen not playing and then five minutes into the game Kyle Gallagher has to go off. That is some trio, then to top it off with ten to go Cross are reduced to 14 and then soon after 13, if Omagh hadn't of beaten them giving those circumstances, well they never would.

Omagh could point to the fact that they where missing one of their own best players Conor Clarke. Also I think they froze a bit in the first half which is expected given it was their first go in Ulster and it takes time to get used to the level. Cross also benefited from the referees calls during the first half.

Cross may have got 2 players got sent off but they were both deserved and if they didn't feel a threat from Omagh I'm sure they would have been slightly less aggressive. A fully deserved victory with numerous good performances for Omagh.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Club boi on October 30, 2014, 05:33:54 PM
Quote from: The Beard on October 30, 2014, 02:11:23 AM
Quote from: Club boi on October 29, 2014, 07:45:52 PM
Omagh are 11/2 for a reason, how many poor bookmakers do you know?? They rarely get it wrong

Saying Cross arnt as big or physical as previous makes me laugh, have you seen them this year?? Omagh will be bullied out of it. Hanratty will run straight over the top of Omaghs midfield

I'd be more concerned about Omaghs "lack of game time" 1 Month to prepare, surely Clonoe arnt happy after last years turnaround!!!

In the same way carmen and dromore were going to bully omagh? Would u be saying the same thing if either of those teams were playing. Lazy old stereotypcal analysis. And why would hanratty dominate against omaghs strongest area of the field with grugan and mcmahon?

Cross definite favourites and should win but not for silly lazy reasons put forward by club boi. Obviously hasnt seen tbis omagh team play.

I have seen All of Omaghs Championship games this year, and played against the majority of them. By all accounts they should've got beaten by Coalisland, Dromore and Carrickmore (2 late goals getting the wins) Hanratty will run over Either Mc Mahon in his way and Morgan will eat O'Neill. I really hope Omagh do play defensively with 13 men behind the ball as Cross will just push up and play with 13 forwards, and I know which set of forwards will score more on the day to win

A few great calls there. O'Neill got 1-3 from play of Morgan despite poor enough ball going in. Omagh also played with plenty of men behind the ball and still got the victory.

TF15

Fair play to Omagh, amazing victory. But I think even the most staunch Omagh supporter will know that everything aligned for Omagh today. Aaron Kernan being ill, Kyle Carragher going off after 5 minutes, the discipline of Cross going (usually the masters of the dark arts) and that free Jamie Clarke didn't get and ended up getting booked for. For them to win today they needed Cross to have a bad day like today but Omagh had to put them away and they did that with composer and aplomb. Barry Tierney should play 5 or 7 for the county next year. Mickey was at the game and he HAS to have seen that as a man marker he's okay but as a bombing half back he is superb. RON very good too but he looks really out of shape? It'll be fine at club level but intercounty where the intensity is higher he will need to be sharper and leaner IMO (Monaghan last year a prime example)

LeoMc

Quote from: LeoMc on October 29, 2014, 10:33:03 PM
Up until the Armagh county final I thought Omagh would have a good chance of pulling off a shock. They had plenty of time to get over their celebrations and refocus as well as having a few very good players and a bit of the swagger needed. I think across have shown however they will not be caught cold.

Should have went with my original gut feeling. Omagh will be hard to stop now and good luck to them. Is the poor Armagh championship starting to impact Cross preparations?

Mr. Nakata

Great victory for the lillywhites today. Cross tried to horse Omagh out of the game at the start of the second half. Some previous poster was saying Cross are conditioned for Ulster club championship every year. I thought the fittest team won. Meyler and Aaron Grugan got through some amount of work. The breeze was a factor in the game and obviously the sendings off...but victory was deserved in my opinion. Having watched the game again, the yellow for Jamie Clark was the wrong call and if he had've tapped the free over that he deserved, the result may have been different. The ref gave Omagh very little in the first half, but that decision certainly went our way. So many great performances all over the pitch today. Justy is getting his best form back and Barry Tierney and the 2 big lads in midfield were excellent. RON is a clinical finisher. 2 weeks to prepare for the winners of St Eunan's and Roslea. I dare to dream...

BennyHarp

Quote from: Mr. Nakata on November 02, 2014, 10:08:36 PM
Great victory for the lillywhites today. Cross tried to horse Omagh out of the game at the start of the second half. Some previous poster was saying Cross are conditioned for Ulster club championship every year. I thought the fittest team won. Meyler and Aaron Grugan got through some amount of work. The breeze was a factor in the game and obviously the sendings off...but victory was deserved in my opinion. Having watched the game again, the yellow for Jamie Clark was the wrong call and if he had've tapped the free over that he deserved, the result may have been different. The ref gave Omagh very little in the first half, but that decision certainly went our way. So many great performances all over the pitch today. Justy is getting his best form back and Barry Tierney and the 2 big lads in midfield were excellent. RON is a clinical finisher. 2 weeks to prepare for the winners of St Eunan's and Roslea. I dare to dream...

So Johnny Hanratty didn't run all over them then?  ;D
That was never a square ball!!

LeoMc

Quote from: hardstation on November 02, 2014, 09:56:27 PM
I wouldn't say that has anything to do with it. Cross, IMO, are better than the rest of the clubs in Ulster - but not that much better. Today, they were a point up, lost two players and were beaten by 2 points. Fine margins.
I wasn't doubting Cross ability, they are a fantastic team, they are strong physical, they play great direct football and do the simple things well but it appears that in Armagh the opposition are beat before they go onto the field. Omagh looked the same for 20 minutes but that was more that Cross were taking their chances. No matter how well prepped you are that has to seep in, they have to be thinking these boys aren't up for it, we have it won.

The Beard

Quote from: LeoMc on November 02, 2014, 10:38:16 PM
I wouldn't say that has anything to do with it. Cross, IMO, are better than the rest of the clubs in Ulster - but not that much better. Today, they were a point up, lost two players and were beaten by 2 points. Fine margins.
I wasn't doubting Cross ability, they are a fantastic team, they are strong physical, they play great direct football and do the simple things well but it appears that in Armagh the opposition are beat before they go onto the field. Omagh looked the same for 20 minutes but that was more that Cross were taking their chances. No matter how well prepped you are that has to seep in, they have to be thinking these boys aren't up for it, we have it won.

cross are a fine team and credit for their record. Out of the last 9yrs have still win 6 ulster titles. I don't believe though that if they were in tyrone or down championship they would have won 18 out of 19. still think they would be one of the better teams if not probably the best but they would be caught out more often than they are in armagh. if that was an armagh team that went 7 down today it would be game over. maybe cross thought it was too.

on todays game. really enjoyable game to watch. cross stronger in first half and omagh looked out of sorts. took them a while to get going which it has done all year but thought they maybe left too much to do. but the winning of the game was holding cross scoreless for over 30mins. very impressive defending. justy & gallagher marshalled defence very well. mullan and no5 excellent as well. can't remember cross forwards winning any easy ball out in front in second half at all really. thought barry tierney was wasted marking clarke and omagh management made a good call to switch him with gallagher to free him up and leave gallagher on clarke. up front RON led line perfectly aswell. very impressive second half.

trileacman

It's interesting that Omagh picked off the win today given that several late goals won them the Tyrone championship. So either Omagh are just blind lucky or the percieved gulf in standard between the county championships is very little. Certainly it would appear to be considerably less than the distinctions at county level.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

time ticking away

A little bit strange on a tyrone page that we are being a little dismissive of omaghs victory.  I thought they were immensely impressive in tbe second half. How many other clubs in tyrone would have beat cross from 7 down with 25 mins left. Super result for tyrone football
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: time ticking away on November 03, 2014, 01:44:02 AM
A little bit strange on a tyrone page that we are being a little dismissive of omaghs victory.  I thought they were immensely impressive in tbe second half. How many other clubs in tyrone would have beat cross from 7 down with 25 mins left. Super result for tyrone football

I'm not too sure people are being dismissive. Personally I am delighted for Omagh. I thought even when Omagh went ahead that the Cross machine would kick in but Omagh kept positive in trying to bring the ball forward and got their rewards.

Barry Tierney was very brave for the goal.

Rock looking good in the Ulster Junior as well.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Mikhailov

Quote from: The Beard on November 03, 2014, 12:34:03 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on November 02, 2014, 10:38:16 PM

Omagh were immense and fully deserved their victory on what I saw however they would admit that a few things went their way but that is football and fair dues to them for taking full advantage. Cross missing AK was a big loss, then Kyle Carragher after 5 minutes also a big loss but in saying that Omagh deserve great credit for coming from 7 down with 25 left to win and in the end all the play was from Omagh who finished very strong. The free against Clarke at a critical time was a very strange call and could have had a say in the final result. Omagh had big games from Meyler, Tierney, Justy McMahon and Conan Grugan in 2nd half. Just a few observations - 1. Omagh look to have bulked up big time all over the park. 2. Ronie O'Neill looks badly out of shape for a player of his quality 3. Why the poor crowd 4. Omagh could win Ulster 5. Tyrone losing early has certainly helped them this year

cross are a fine team and credit for their record. Out of the last 9yrs have still win 6 ulster titles. I don't believe though that if they were in tyrone or down championship they would have won 18 out of 19. still think they would be one of the better teams if not probably the best but they would be caught out more often than they are in armagh. if that was an armagh team that went 7 down today it would be game over. maybe cross thought it was too.

on todays game. really enjoyable game to watch. cross stronger in first half and omagh looked out of sorts. took them a while to get going which it has done all year but thought they maybe left too much to do. but the winning of the game was holding cross scoreless for over 30mins. very impressive defending. justy & gallagher marshalled defence very well. mullan and no5 excellent as well. can't remember cross forwards winning any easy ball out in front in second half at all really. thought barry tierney was wasted marking clarke and omagh management made a good call to switch him with gallagher to free him up and leave gallagher on clarke. up front RON led line perfectly aswell. very impressive second half.